Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter Suggestions You should hunt for a cheap secondhand compressor/limiter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    JavaJack
    • Commoner

Maybe one of your listeners has an old one they’d donate.

It would cut down on all those ear-piercing distortion-inducing outbursts from that shouting dwarf fellow 😀

JavaJack
    • Commoner

On the plus side, the mp3pro plugin makes a WORLD of difference! I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Dragonkin
    • Thri-kreen

Aww… but Balazaar Attacks are part of the fun.

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

Me LOUD? never!

I’m just big-lunged for my height is all!

Surely you wouldn’t want to compress a poor dwarf any further would you? 😀

B.

P.S. Do you have any more information on compressors/limiters? (I can think of a Halfling who I could use it on…)

JavaJack
    • Commoner

Don’t really know all that much about it, truth be told. But for a quick test try running the whole show through Audacity’s compressor filter set around 3:1, either before, or after denoising (try both). Fiddle with the threshhold and see if it helps.

JavaJack
    • Commoner

Googling around, I found this, which you can use in Audacity via the VST enabler:

http://www.smartelectronix.com/~bram/plugins.php?id=10

JavaJack
    • Commoner

Useful explanations of typical audio gadgets:

http://videoexpert.home.att.net/artic1/audgad.htm

JavaJack
    • Commoner

Oh yeah, another quick thing that might improve the audio would be to tack up some old quilts around the walls, and maybe toss a couple on the floor if it’s not carpeted.

Anonymous
    • Owlbear

I admit it, I am a Balazar fan. The outbursts are the primary reason I listen. That and the GM’s fine asides about things such as “poor old Buglak” and whatnot.

“BALAZAAR LOVES EGG NOG!”

JinxRLM
    • Commoner

Compression would be nice, yes.. Everytime someone shrieks, old ladies look terrified in my direction on the train 😀 .

Anonymous
    • Owlbear

By the way, Paul, what do you use for the voice of Kodo? And where can I buy one?

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

Remiss of me to miss this, sorry!

The Voice Changer I picked up in Shetland several years ago, from a Toy Shop in the big city of Lerwick. They are generally available (in the UK) around Halloween in the Childrens ‘dress-up’ areas. About £8 or so.

Some of our new equipment has a Limiter, but we’re saving pennies to buy a half-decent mic that will plug into it.

After we’ve got the last of the new equipment Yog-Radio at least will be moving up to 48KBPS/44Khz without the need for MP3pro formatting. The Masks game will use the new equipment, but likely not at the higher bit rate unless the BitTorrent idea takes off.

Egg Nog, mmmmmm! 🙂

Paul

Salubrai
    • Succubus

I know nobody wants to, but I’ll say this yet again. WMA is a good audio format – and can be played back even by Ipods (through conversion).

a 32kbps WMA audio quality is roughly equivalent to a 64kbps MP3. It would save download time, and Ipod is the only player which requires a quick conversion (automatically done through itunes anyway) to playback. All the other players generally play it natively. Why is WMA better than MP3Pro? Because Mp3pro cannot be converted without a proprietary converter, without losing the Pro quality. WMA is always good.

Rillietann
    • Bullywug

I dont know how good it would be for group recordings but i have a spare Shure SM58 you lot can have to record sessions if you want it (free, gratis)

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear
    Rillietann wrote:
    I dont know how good it would be for group recordings but i have a spare Shure SM58 you lot can have to record sessions if you want it (free, gratis)

Fantastic! A Shure SM58 would be ideal for some of the recordings we’re planing, thank you!

Please do get in touch via PM

Paul

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • The forum ‘Suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.