Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter The Files Wonders of Technology

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

I’ve had Skype for a while now, I’ve found the quality to be very good, in theory we could use it to have guest players from anywhere in the world taking part in RPGMP3 audio sessions.

Full Frotal Nerdity reminded me of the idea:

http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/nodwick/ffn/ffn.htm

I believe it can be set up for party calls, so it could be one way to ‘Listen Live’? (for up to four listeners + ‘caster’)

We could easily set up a skype name for the cast, like: rpgmp3

http://www.skype.com/

Windows | Mac OS X | Linux | Pocket PC

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

OK, so our Skype nickname is, actually: rpgmp3

Four people should be able to call into that nickname at the beginning of a game and listen in (and speak if decide to leave the speaker on :)).

Current games typically run at 8:00PM BST (GMT+1). Which we realise isn’t necessarily ideal for those outside of Europe. 🙁

It would mean that those who log in would get to hear the latest episode live. Of course, the epsiode goes on the web site as usual afterwards.

If it turns out to be a really popular thing, we would have to think of ways to chose who gets the four slots, or look into somehow doing a larger multicast through shoutcast servers.

Of course it could all fail miserably, and no one may be interested but at least the webcam for #20 worked well!

If you are interested, say so here with your Skype nickname and we can add you to the RPGMP3 Skype accepted list.

We’ll post the date of the next game here.

(You can tell we like playing with technology can’t you? :D)

Paul

Dragonkin
    • Thri-kreen

Bing!

Signing in new Skype user: Doompuppy

(Dragonkin was taken)

Cob37
    • Gelatinous Cube
    PaulofCthulhu wrote:

Current games typically run at 8:00PM BST (GMT+1). Which we realise isn’t necessarily ideal for those outside of Europe. 🙁

So what time would that be for me here in CST which is GMT -5? 2:00 pm here? If that is the case I am almost always sleeping since I work overnights and I usually awaken at 4:30 pm CST.

But the idea sounds cool! 😀

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

Indeed, it should be 2:00pm CST.

contact name: doompuppy has been added to the RPGMP3 Skype list!

For information on your local timezones see:

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/

and its linked pages for your country!

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Oooooh! New technology 😀

Am I going to be GMing to a room full of speakers and microphones soon? Scary 😀

Hal :hal:

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

Nahh, they’ll be tucked out of the away in the corner on a wireless connection, like the web cast was. The equipment won’t be intrusive at all. 8)

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Giving a whole new meaning to the aforesaid comment “Thank you disembodied voice!”

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

With luck we should record #21 this week (Hal was suggesting Thursday?). It would be neat if people on Skype said “Hello” at the beginning – then you’d be on the WLD, from wherever you are on the planet. 🙂

darwin2kx
    • Commoner

That is an excellent idea.. my Skype username is darwin2kx .. though I may not join into a game until I catch up with the sessions. What days do you play?

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

Added to RPGMP3 Skype: darwin2kx

Our days of play are variable at the moment as we mainly have to fit round Hal’s rotating shift pattern!

I imagine Hal will announce the date of the next session (#21) very soon, which likely means session #20 being up even sooner!

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

Please note: those people who submit their Skype usernames need to make sure that they’ve authorised rpgmp3 to contact you on Skype.

(Where necessary, depending on your Skype Authorisation settings!)

Salubrai
    • Succubus

my skype username is: shathis0 (with a zero, not an O) Thanks Paul!

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

We should be playing session #21 tomorrow (Thursday 9 June), however, since session #20 isn’t up yet and a few players have some reservations about live transmission we’ll hold off using it for the WLD group.

Though you may see its use elsewhere! 🙂

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Having just come off a set of shifts where I worked overtime I have been unable to find the time to sort out the session 20 audio!

I am now on rest days so hopefully I should be able to get it up and running for you all very very soon 😀

Most of the misgivings the group have been having about live broadcasts comes from the fact that there have been some things we have had to edit in the past (mainly due to offhand comments that may offend). With the live cast there are problems with this and it is felt (and I agree with this point) that feeling self concious about what is said is going to make the game seem false.

I enjoy running the game but I do not want to lose it behind a faceless wall of technology and wires. Sadly the microphones did not work as well as I had hoped (although the recording quality was good). It is not appropriate for table play unless we can get wireless ones. I will be keeping the mics for interviews and panel recordings and the like.

With regards to Skype I can see its use for interviewing people over the net and recording the results for upload and enjoyment of all (and I suspect this may be what Paul means in the above post). I do not think it is appropriate for the transmission of the games to the net. If we are going to do live broadcasts we are going to have to become more like competitor sites which have regular and repetitive content.

I would like to think that what we have currently is unique and something special. My players are brilliant and the game will hopefully be heading towards some serious surprises in the next few sessions.

I have some plans to expand the site but I am cautious as to the overuse of technology! I do not want the site to become less friendly or accessible for the users by using isolating technology or technology that is available to just a few people. It was always the initial idea behind the site that it would try to make the file available to as many people as possible and this is why they are presented in the format they are in (so that everyone can stream and download them with as little fuss as possible).

Anyway, Session 20 should be up soon and it is a hum-dinger 😀

Cheers

Hal :hal:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘The Files’ is closed to new topics and replies.