Forums Archive Roleplaying Chatter General RPG Stuff Why pay double, when you can pay tripple?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear
    mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

Who would ever pay that much for anything. Hell, all of the D&D stuff is worth less than that. Well, actually, I’ve spent around $110 on D&D, and that’s 6 books, 100 some odd dice, and a few miniatures. If you look around you can get stuff for alot less than 120 bucks. Such as my DM guide, 5 bucks off amazon rather than 30 off the shelf.

Damn you Monte Cook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell, DAMN YOU GYGAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rillietann
    • Bullywug

I’d buy it 🙂

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

You’re evil.

Wellard
    • Orc

Think thats bad, check out the new version of castle Zagyg for C&C from Trolllords.7 books at $30.00 a piece and over 1500 pages of material. Whats worse is that given Gygax’s state of health it is doubtfull we will see it all anyway.

Mind you I just paid 123.00($215.00) for 12 D&D miniatures(£30.00 for a Huge Red Dragon) and £25.00($44.00) for a mint shrinkwrapped copy of Tarantis from judges guild(published in 1982) so I guess I cant talk.

In fact I reckon that in the last 27 years I have spent upwards of £60,000($105,000) on this hobby.

Face
    • Gelatinous Cube

You have calmly caused me to choke and die.

I have respectfully died.

Wellard
    • Orc

Sorry to hear about your demise Face and can I have your place in Gods Own Country

But seriously you name it I have probably owned it at some time and have given thousands of pounds worth away to friends and fellow club members(I have kept most of my figures though and they alone must come to £5000 worth in all scales).

Now all I buy for is 3.5E (and after I get Weapons of Legacy I’ll be stopping that apart from Goodman Games Dungeon Crawls) and old JG stuff for my collection and new Wilderlands campaign

BTW I’m writing my current campaign up on the Necromancer games boards under the “Trouble at Durbenford Thread” so if anyone wants to see what I have to put up with from my players just go there.

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

WHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

You could have done SOOOOO much with that money, like given it to me. Seriously, all you need are 3-4 books and some dice.

Holy hell. I thought I’d spent allot of money on star wars cards.

105,000!!!!!!! WHYYYYYYY!!!!

Wellard
    • Orc

Why well partly because RPG stuff used to cost nearly twice as much over here than it did in the States,partly because I was a completist(no longer thankfully) but mainly because I had masses of disposable income before I finally left home(at 31), and aqquired a fiance(now wife of 12 years) within 9 months.

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear
    Wellard wrote:
    In fact I reckon that in the last 27 years I have spent upwards of £60,000($105,000) on this hobby.

Hot Lord!

That’s equivalent to an average of just under $4000/year or $75/week every week for almost three decades…

Sir, I salute you.

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

. . . Yeah . . . I’ve got no reply except to say that is a hell of a lot of money. Think of the collectible value for your children.

TomBedlam
    • Orc

A game book that costly better have a very attractive Russian gamer girl shipped along with it. 😉

In all seroiusness, what is the deal with books rising exponentially these last few years? Did the WLD open up a pricing kettle of fish that will spread throughout the hobby? Any time I hear a game store talk about price points I cringe. Our we really such a niche hobby that in order to support the industry we must pay outrageous prices?

I’ll certainly be priced out of the hobby if it continues on this path. Maybe roleplaying will be turned into a boutique hobby for those who can afford the exhorbitant prices. It’s sad really. I remember when the white box cost less than ten bucks.

Thooose were the days. 🙁

Nostalgic,

Bedlam

Wellard
    • Orc

Well I know people who spend as much a year on booze and ciggies and at least I have somthing to show for all that money.

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube

Is it lack of interest driving up the prices, or rising prices causing a lack of interest? Don’t know, didn’t major in economics.

I do know that our local gaming store is no longer going to carry materials for D&D because so few people are buying. From here on out it’s special order only 🙁

It has given me a temporary boon, however, as they have dumped all of their miniatures into cardboard boxes and marked them 50% off. I bought up all the booster packs immediately and am now back in the painting business 8)

riddles
    • Succubus

Hmm, not sure 100% how much I’ve spent over the years, but I’ve got about 2 or 3 floor to ceiling bookshelves full of rule books etc. And I’ve only really been collecting for 25 years or so, so I’m 2 years behind Wellard! 🙂

Yeah, I’m probably up in the £1000s region, possibly into £10,000s but I REALLY hope not. Though I got RQ3 when it first came out (& not the Games Workshop versions either) so it is possible I guess. I’m also VERY bad at selling old stuff, so it tends to hang around cluttering up bookshelves. 😕

And it could be worse; I could have smoked, taken copious drugs/drink or had a hooker habit. Or so I tell my wife anyway! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘General RPG Stuff’ is closed to new topics and replies.