June 1, 2015 at 9:17 am #560975Pencil-Monkey
- Posts : 5728
- Mind Flayer
Barking Alien has issued a challenge that might interest you – read on:
So I consider myself a good GM. Maybe, dare I think it, even a really good one. Great? I didn’t say great. If someone said great I’m not going to argue, but you didn’t hear great from me.
But, am I very good at everything? Not…really…
“WHAT ARE YOU GOOD AT”
What genres, settings, or games in general do you GM best? Which ones do you think you totally rock?
My Top Five:
- Star Trek
- Star Wars
- Superheroes (Specifically Silver-Bronze Age, Four Color Comics Superheroes)
- Giant Robots (Of the Japanese Anime variety – not Battletech/MechWarrior)
Which games could you use to work on? That is, if your group wants to play one of these games, you yourself would probably recommend a different GM.
My Bottom Three:
- Dungeons & Dragons (Traditional, Old School style)
- Call of Cthulhu (And similar style horror)
- Post Apocalypse (I can do it…but I really don’t get it)
What elements of Gamemastering do you do best? What aspects do you nail more often than not?
My Top Five
- Interesting NPCs
- Funny Voices, and Sound Effects
- Splitting the Party
- World Building
Which elements are still a work in progress? Name some things that you don’t do as well as you’d like.
My Bottom Three
- Knowledge of Rules/Mechanics
- Adequate Challenges (Used to be great at this – now, I too easy on players)
- Heavy Buy-In (If you get it, you’ll love it. If you don’t, it’s hard for me to explain it to you)
NOW IT’S YOUR TURN!
I challenge my fellow blogging Gamemaster to fess up, and tell us the five games you are great at running, three that you’re not so hot with, five reasons why you consider yourself a good GM (or feel you are viewed as such by others), and three things you feel you need work on.
Why? For No Real Reason! Woot!
Wait…no…it’s because then we can go into discussing why this is. How come we ace some games, but have trouble with others? Can we help each other? Can the master of Post Apocalypse gaming out there help me get a handle on that genre? Can I assist someone in improving their Mecha campaign, or brushing up on their mystery adventures?
Let’s find out.
Also, just curious.
And here are some of the answers to the challenge, so far:June 1, 2015 at 10:44 am #649097Telemergion
June 2, 2015 at 7:56 am #649098June 2, 2015 at 11:26 am #649099
- Posts : 1433
- The forum ‘Roleplaying’ is closed to new topics and replies.