Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter Whartson Hall Gamers What are Whartson Hall up to?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    BigJackBrass
    • Drider

You’re all very kind.

Hafwit wrote:
    The story with the icebound ship was particularly good.

Thank you. It came simply from taking a set of song lyrics fairly literally: “And I can only see this wreck with the aid of a drink and a mirror,” is probably my favourite line from Ship Trapped in the Ice, but it’s actually a song about the band being stuck in a rotten recording contract with Virgin Records, rather than anything poetic or abstract. Looked at in a more straightforward fashion and… what if there’s a ship trapped in the ice that can only be seen if you’re slightly drunk and looking in a mirror? That’s about as close to running a “puzzle room” as I think I’m likely to get in an adventure 😀

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

Summer does tend to slow things down at the Hall, added to which certain of our more musical members (please! no crude jokes! 😀 ) are rehearsing for an Autumn show, so at present we’re playing once a week with occasional missed weeks due to holidays and the like.

But new material is on its way! Our first full session of Sundered Skies – Dave Blewer’s wonderfully twisted fantasy setting from Triple Ace Game – is available for patrons and will be on the main site and community podcast very shortly, thanks to the wonderful new upload systems put in place by Hal and Thing, which will lead to a much more regular flow of site content.

Something I’m trying out is to leave the character generation sessions as “bonus episodes” available only to patrons of the site. The community podcast will still get the complete game sessions, but only patrons will be forced to sit through the pencil-chewing and page-flicking as we roll up the characters 😉 Similarly, some shorter games might be put aside now and then so that the people who are able and choose to support the site financially get a little bit of a reward in addition to getting the audio sooner.

I don’t think that the lack of character generation should affect your enjoyment of the games, but please let me know your opinions; and you can do worse than considering becoming a patron (see the sidebar to your left) and following the above link to see what the nice chaps at Triple Ace Games have to offer, too 🙂

coffeedemon
    • Bullywug

I’m still looking forward to the Delta Green stuff… is that on the patrons area?

BigJackBrass
    • Drider
    coffeedemon wrote:
    I’m still looking forward to the Delta Green stuff… is that on the patrons area?

It is! Now that the new upload system is in place I should go back and sort out those sessions for the main site. The first six used Savage Worlds and do come to a conclusion of sorts, then we switched to HeroQuest for the next two… then the game paused… and it remains paused. Because of that I may just put up the Savage Worlds sessions and see what the reaction is, since the HeroQuest recordings don’t advance the situation much, not least because the first of them is mostly character generation.

Hafwit
    • Thri-kreen

🙂 Personally I very much enjoy both chargen and ‘post-game analysis’. Especially when I don’t know the system, but even when I do it’s a good introduction to the PCs.

I’ve even started listening to Actual People, Actual Play (http://apap.libsyn.com/), in order to get my fix.

I can stop whenever I want. 😉

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer
    BigJackBrass wrote:
    Something I’m trying out is to leave the character generation sessions as “bonus episodes” available only to patrons of the site. The community podcast will still get the complete game sessions, but only patrons will be forced to sit through the pencil-chewing and page-flicking as we roll up the characters 😉 … I don’t think that the lack of character generation should affect your enjoyment of the games, but please let me know your opinions… 🙂

I very much enjoy making sketches and portraits (and comics, oh yes ;)) of the characters, which can be quite difficult if the (physical) character descriptions are in the chargen episodes locked away beyond the reach of my miserly little grabby paws.

Of course, if BJB could be… coerced to make more of his wonderful character portraits… *nudge nudge* f352821ba5860a2ee4c12a30dce598ee.gif😮

That said, I look forward to listening to all the new audio we are bound to be flooded with! 😀

BigJackBrass
    • Drider
    Pencil-Monkey wrote:
    I very much enjoy making sketches and portraits (and comics, oh yes ;)) of the characters, which can be quite difficult if the (physical) character descriptions are in the chargen episodes locked away beyond the reach of my miserly little grabby paws.

I think that clinches it! 😆

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer
    BigJackBrass wrote:
    Pencil-Monkey wrote:

I think that clinches it! 😆

HANCOOOOCK!!!

400px-khan.jpg

👿 😉

Thing
    Admin
    • Drider

Oh yeah! Now we are talkin’!

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

It ain’t talkin’ if ye ain’t usin’ yer OUTSIDE VOICE! 😉

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

What BJB is up to:

kwe00099.jpg

Mordion
    • Orc

Apologies if this has been covered in another thread that I’ve missed, but what is Wharston Hall up to these days? I don’t think I’ve seen anything from the WHG since the last of the Whartstock releases, unless you count BJB selling off the gems of his rpg collection…which could be considered somewhat ominous. 🙂

I’ve been re-listening to Pirates and to all of the appearances of Max Jollity, (and Max Jollity impersonators) but I find myself desiring all new puns about seamen and fresh groans of dismay at Max’s appearance.

Have you all been gaming (and recording) or has real life in the form of hikes and plays and whatnot caused a hiatus? If you have been playing, who’s been running what, and why are you so unkindly keeping it from the rest of us? 😉

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

I didn’t want to alarm anyone, but there were almost no survivors from Whartstock and much of the Hall was demolished during the final assault…

It’s been very busy around here, actually, but not with lots of gaming! We’ve had nothing aside from a character generation session (unrecorded) and first session (recorded) for the Mongoose edition of Traveller, which I’ve been holding on to in case we don’t get back to it after the break. It’ll surface either as episode one or as an orphan before too long, I don’t doubt.

The main game-killers at the moment are: Rent, the musical, directed by The Lovely Emma and featuring Martin and Ross, which is playing this week; and the Weasels buggering off on a cruise to Pellucidar (it might have been somewhere else… my attention tends to drift…) in order to become Mr and Mrs Weasel. Rent finishes at the weekend, which means that I get The Lovely Emma back and we can aim for a few filler games while the Weasels are away. I’m especially keen to run a session of Duck Trooper when we get the chance, which I can see working nicely with just a couple of players.

Life, alas, doesn’t pay attention to schedules.

Thing
    Admin
    • Drider

Hmm, no survivors.

Time to attempt to create some Intelligent zombies

And what a great battle cry, Weasels away!

Isis
    • Succubus
    BigJackBrass wrote:
    I didn’t want to alarm anyone, but there were almost no survivors from Whartstock and much of the Hall was demolished during the final assault…

It’s true. Riddles and I now exist merely as ephemeral virtual entities floating around the internet, and Jomster was last seen with a slot in his head being carted off by Guide Dogs for the Blind. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 76 total)
  • The forum ‘Whartson Hall Gamers’ is closed to new topics and replies.