Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    BigJackBrass
    • Drider

File Name: Weirdzone Session 04

File Submitter: BigJackBrass

File Submitted: 27 Apr 2015

File Category: Forgotten Futures

Genre: Steampunk

Profanity Level: Jolly Sweary Indeed

https://www.rpgmp3.com/files/game_recordings/Whartson_Hall_Gamers/ForgottenFuturesV_04.mp3

Forgotten Futures: Weirdzone 04: Battered Duck

ForgottenFuturesNewCoverImage_zps088aae62.jpg

Separated by many miles, yet brought together through remarkable advances in SCIENCE, the Whartson Hall Aethernauts embark on a voyage to wondrous futures past!

When the going gets tough… the tough hide upstairs and discuss throwing explosives out of the window. Unlikely allies Sir George Mathers and “Earwig” Carnehan find themselves under attack by bizarrely human-like, gun-toting ducks. With the peripatetic Reynolds house disappointingly light in the armoury department, the desperate duo prepare to see off the invaders with little more than good old British pluck. And explosives.

If for some reason you’re determined to listen to what approximates for actually playing the game in our group then skip ahead half an hour or so.

The Game: Forgotten Futures by Marcus L. Rowland. The adventure setting is adapted from Weirdzone by Richard Tucholka and Tri Tac Games. [Karma Kards are published for various systems by aethereal FORGE.

Intro and outro musical excerpts are by that most splendid gentleman Professor Elemental, used with his kind permission.

The Whartson Hall Aethernauts play through the Google+ Hangouts facility rather than face-to-face in a room. Still, sound quality isn’t everything and to be hones we’re only here for the quack.

The Players:

Nick: ”Earwig” Carnehan

Tim: Sir George Mathers

Jon: The GM

Click here to download this file

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

If for some reason you’re determined to listen to what approximates for actually playing the game in our group then skip ahead half an hour or so.

And for those who wisely decided to skip directly to the eight minutes of post-banter gaming, here’s what you missed:

geoffrey: In the seventh chapter of The Hobbit (“Queer Lodgings”), Gandalf told the dwarves and Bilbo that Beorn is a “skin-changer”. Then Bilbo asked:

geoffrey: “What! a furrier, a man that calls rabbits conies, when he doesn’t turn their skins into squirrels?”

geoffrey: Huh? I don’t get it.

geoffrey: Am I right in assuming that in 1930s England furriers had a linguistic habit of referring to rabbits as “conies”?

BigJackBrass: Not exactly a linguistic habit restricted to furriers, coney is a word for a rabbit or for rabbit fur. Now old-fashioned to the point of being obsolete in general usage. It also used to mean someone who was rather credulous.

BigJackBrass: Bilbo is not assuming that Beorn has magical abilities: even at this stage in the story he is still very much the comfortable, civilised Hobbit who would be far more used to dealing with tradesmen, shopkeepers and the like than he would be with a shape-shifter (remember that even Gandalf is thought of in the Shire only as a slightly dubious traveller who does at least provide rather nice fireworks). The first thing he thinks of when he hears “skin-changer” is a furrier; and consider that at the time The Hobbit was written furriers were still a thriving business, with all sorts of clothes and accessories made from animal fur, so this is also a clever way to let the reader learn what a “skin-changer” is through Bilbo making a mistaken assumption that the reader would understand. Bilbo is still thinking in terms of the humdrum, safe day to day life of the Shire, where exotic and magical things are distant (and therefore legendary).

BigJackBrass: As for squirrel, I suspect it’s either humorous confusion on Bilbo’s part or else the notion that someone might substitute rabbit-fur trim instead of squirrel is correct. The substitution idea is likely, since rabbit fur was sometimes dyed to resemble more exotic (and expensive) varieties of squirrel, particularly for use trimming coats and gloves. Tolkien would certainly have been aware of an older meaning, a synonym for prostitute, but we can discount that, I think, along with the American slang meaning which has been eclipsed these days by beaver. This is a book for children, after all grin.png

talysman: Especially since Gandalf reacts in horror to what Bilbo says and warns him not to say something like that to Beorn. That part didn’t make much sense to me as a kid (why would Beorn be offended about being ascribed the wrong kind of magical power?) I skipped over it. But if Bilbo was suggesting Beorn was just some kind of crook, then it makes sense.

BigJackBrass: As I read it, the issue is that Beorn would not take kindly to anyone who would kill and skin animals: the animals we see are his friends; and you’ll notice that the food referred to in that chapter is bread, butter, honey, cream and mead (later echoed in The Lord of the Rings when the Hobbits visit Tom Bombadil’s home) rather than platters of meat. Gandalf is warning Bilbo not to make reference to the fur trade because we can presume that Beorn angrily opposes it, rather than telling him not to call Beorn a crook.

8273601314_de241f1679.jpg

Kedamono
    • Commoner

Wonderful session you gents had! Between fisticuffs with some base canards, the feathers surely flew! And rest assured that those aquatic avians will roast quite well, with a fine brown crust thanks to the Maillard reaction! Hopefully we won’t see Sir George and Earwig carted off to the old Bill for their cracking of some eggs!

Till next time, I have to fly! G’bye!

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

Good heavens, don’t encourage them to eat the NPCs! A dangerous precedent to be setting 😀

Thanks for commenting. There’s one more session waiting in the wings (*ahem*) and then we’ll be leaving the Weirdzone for a little while as the group concentrates on GURPS Flight 13.

kendoyle659
    • Thri-kreen

A quacking episode, thoroughly eggsellent. It really fit the bill.  Put another feather in your cap. 

I thank you.

RogerBW
    • Commoner

I believe you were thinking of the Sinclair A-Bike, with 6″ wheels. By all accounts the obvious problem is the main one: the small wheels do very badly on typical roads. There’s also the Strida, with 16- or 18-inch wheels, which can similarly be folded into a walking-stick sort of format.

Oh, and I believe there may have been some gaming later.

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

I believe you were thinking of the Sinclair A-Bike, with 6″ wheels…

That’s the one! Could never understand how it made it past a simple test-ride of the prototype.

Oh, and I believe there may have been some gaming later.

I’m so sorry, I’ll pay more attention to the editing next time. Sometimes a bit of gaming slips in when I’m asleep. It’s tricky like that.

RogerBW
    • Commoner

I can’t help feeling a little sorry for the helpless Duck City police force, moving in cautiously to this weird house that’s just appeared out of nowhere, only to find themselves incinerated, beaten to death, and very possibly eaten. Ah, Victorian diplomacy!

lordof1
    • Orc

I can’t help feeling a little sorry for the helpless Duck City police force, moving in cautiously to this weird house that’s just appeared out of nowhere, only to find themselves incinerated, beaten to death, and very possibly eaten. Ah, Victorian diplomacy!

Just like a toff, always taking the ducks’ side! I’ll remind you, sir, that I never had no toff helping me when the ducks rose up in Burma. Oh no, very quiet they were then, the toffs. So I’ll do what I like to the bloody ducks, and I’ll send you the bloody bill!

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

Nick likes to remain in character between sessions and we’re not going to be playing Weirdzone for a few weeks. Our thoughts are with Nick’s family at this difficult time.

Lucky_Strike
    • Orc

An action packed offering. Those poor ducks only had a few minutes to consider what was happening to them.

Also on Raul’s Wild Kingdom he was teaching poodles how to fly.

https://youtu.be/gx6TBrfCW54

Looking forward to the continuing adventures of those who are on the manor borne. It is definitely nearing time for a supply run.

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

It is definitely nearing time for a supply run.

Indeed it is! A mere one episode away, in fact 🙂

feed-ducks-smiley.gif

Slartibartfast
    • Gelatinous Cube

Just like a toff, always taking the ducks’ side! I’ll remind you, sir, that I never had no toff helping me when the ducks rose up in Burma. Oh no, very quiet they were then, the toffs. So I’ll do what I like to the bloody ducks, and I’ll send you the bloody bill!

Burma? Surely Bombay…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.