Forums RPGMP3 Podcast Audio Actual Play Recordings Team Indigo Gumshoe Timewatch Session 02

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    lost_zeppo
    • Bullywug

File Name: Timewatch Session 02

File Submitter: lost_zeppo

File Submitted: 02 May 2014

File Category: Gumshoe

Genre: Sci-Fi

Profanity Level: Jolly Sweary Indeed

https://www.rpgmp3.com/files/game_recordings/Team_Indigo/CatchmeifyouCanPt2.mp3

Part 2 of 2. A time-tripper has gone missing from a time-tour vacation – so far the tour had visited Imperial Rome, London in the 1960’s, the Jurassic era and Paris in the 1920’s. They were due to move on to Tahiti in the 1600’s when unfortunately one of the guides got jumped and “injured” in Paris and his autochron has gone missing as has the “boy” John Titor. The team have been tasked to find and return both and correct any problems that may have occurred as a result.

Click here to download this file

AndrewRJ
    • Flumph

I just finished listening to these two episodes.

A few thoughts.  The audio was exactly reversed from episode 00  This time all I could really here as the the DM and the players were so quiet that I could barely hear them when cranked up. (which of course made the GM deafening)(I should note that I listen to these using ear buds as ear plugs in an otherwise noisy environment. YMMV)

That said, I really didn’t need to hear the players that well apparently as the GM did a fantastic job of explaining what was occurring.  I know I must have missed the majority of the RP but the bits I could hear were well done.  I was stunned at the level of accurate historic knowledge that was woven into this story line, and at the end when I realized it wasn’t a canned module I was floored.

Very well done!!!  I was impressed.

A side note, unlike at least one of your players I actually enjoyed the more investigative slant, that didn’t keep getting bogged down in “what do we do next”.  I think that is also a testament to the players as I am horrible at investigations and they swiftly become frustrating to me.  You were all very interesting to listen to.  I would like to know more about combat mechanics when you have “preparation roles” and potential paradox from still dying when you were supposed to go back to help yourself.  It all seems very tangled potentially.

Lastly, what happens when you blow your chrono stability rolls, I was kind of hoping for something to happen like they landed at a slightly different time, but I didn’t seem to happen.

Keep up the good work!

Oh and as an American…  The accents are fantastic I love listening to all you from across the pond (and Hal and Lindsey and Lockhart etc.)

SignalGK
    • Commoner

AndrewRJ

Thanks for the kind comments about the adventure though as you quite rightly point out its very much a partnership with the players and I am lucky to have some story-focussed players. Timewatch is very investigation-focused and encourages creative playing though as ref you have to be ready to roll with the choices the players make. You can read the background notes at http://jaecampbell.wordpress.com/2014/03/09/catch-me-if-you-can-pre-adventure-notes/ – though the players went a completely different route to the one I’d expected.

Re sound quality – yes I’m struggling to capture the online conversation properly with the programs I have available.

Re chronal stability rolls when you fail them you become less fixed in reality and when reduced too far cause you to start to forget who you are and become someone in that time period and if you continue to lose point you will eventually fade out of existance though there are ways that other players can bring you back from the edge.

Again thanks for the kind review of “Catch Me if You Can” – there are a couple of other adventures played since this – “Chariot of the Gods” and “Who Trains my Hands for War” you may enjoy.

Lockhart
    • Owlbear

Regarding recording online conversations.

I use adobe audition in multitrack view for my recording of such situations. I set up one track to record the stereo mix, and another track to record my microphone. I’m then able to tweak the gains of each individual track so that they all balance out, and export it as a single audio file.

I forget, but I believe something is possible in Audacity too, though recording may require having two instances of the program open (one for the stereo mix, one for the your mic), and then you combine the files. It’s been a while since I’ve used audacity though.

Can’t contribute to conversation on this podcast I’m afraid, though it is on my too-listen list. I enjoyed our brief foray with the gumshoe system. Just seems to be too much good audio at the time being uploaded on the sight, and I have to worry about editting my own still.

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Again thanks for the kind review of “Catch Me if You Can” – there are a couple of other adventures played since this – “Chariot of the Gods pt. 1” and pt. 2, and “Who Trains my Hands for War” you may enjoy.

Fixed those links for you, sir. 😉

BTW, it was neat to see that you’re using an article on time travel in RPGs that you wrote all the way back in 1985, it seems very thematically appropriate for the setting. 😉

Just seems to be too much good audio at the time being uploaded on the sight […]

Only got two ears to listen to audio with? Don’t worry! The solution is close at hand:

earweirdNNP1110_468x335.jpg

lost_zeppo
    • Bullywug

Argh…sorry I’ve been taking so long with the next recording. Been trying to find the right music to use for an intro, but I’m not finding anything that’s both podsafe and seems to fit. Any suggestions?

Also, been trying to tweak the audio to resolve some of the issues mentioned from the previous sessions, but not having much success. I make no guarantee about sessions 03 and 04 sounding much better. :<

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Argh…sorry I’ve been taking so long with the next recording. Been trying to find the right music to use for an intro, but I’m not finding anything that’s both podsafe and seems to fit. Any suggestions?

If you´re looking for royalty-free music, check out DanoSongs, or Kevin MacLeod – he’s super popular, very talented and lets people use his music for free. He’s got quite a wide selection of tunes to choose from, as well; for example, you might want to stick with the time-traveling theme and pick something like Echoes of Time.

lost_zeppo
    • Bullywug

Sessions 3 and 4 incoming…finally. Thanks for the recs Pencil-Monkey. Was going to use Echoes of Time, but the official Timewatch theme music just came out, so I’ll be using that. 🙂

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Ooh, is that the stuff that’s been composed by James Semple? The Yoggies use him often. 🙂

lost_zeppo
    • Bullywug

Ooh, is that the stuff that’s been composed by James Semple? The Yoggies use him often. 🙂

That’s the one! And it’s another cracker, imho. 😀

MrTim
    • Commoner

I haven’t yet listened to episodes 3 and 4, so you may have worked out the Gumshoe investigative system on your own, but here’s my take on it:

When a player asks for information, you ask them how they get it. In some cases, it’s as simple as “I ask my tether” or “I’m an architect, so what do I know about this place’s architecture?” but it can be more involved, e.g. – Ted’s Player: “I talk to the patrons at the bar and flirt with the waitress to find out what people know about Mongo.” GM: “The waitress isn’t interested in men.” Ted’s Player: “Okay, I apologize profusely for hitting on her.” GM: “She accepts your apology and apologizes back for being so curt. ‘I’m a bit on edge today. This big ape named Mongo was pretty aggressive with me and I nearly had to taze him before he’d go away. Said something about heading downtown to Billy’s Sports Bar for some action.'”

You then give them all the basic information related to that topic. If you have something that’s not basic, you tell them there’s a spend available, and you give them the extra information if they make the spend, possibly accompanied by a bit more role-playing or description. A subtle GM might drop hints, and a player might fish for a spend, as in – Sally’s Player: “So if I spend a Flattery point and give her my number, can I get some more info from the waitress?” GM: “Sure. ‘That’s a nice tattoo. Reminds me of the one Mongo had on his arm. Were you in the same biker gang or something?'”

The GM never has to give out all available information without a spend, just enough to get the players through to the next scene. Ideally those spends should be justified with some roleplaying. And there may be information that just can’t be gotten unless the PCs do the right thing in the right place (e.g., only if the PCs go to Billy’s Sports Bar and talk to Mongo’s favorite bartender will they ever know that his real name is Mortimer Vanderbildt III). But it never comes down to “We’ve been to every bar and strip club in town, but our rolling has been crap, so we can’t find Mongo. Guess we failed the adventure!”

Lockhart
    • Owlbear

Recently finished listening to your first adventure here. This is a really nice listen for two particular reasons;

1. The mix of players and GM. Everyone seems very much on point with the game they want to play and mesh together very nicely. Players are rarely at a loss for what they should or can do and there is a nice blend of the meta-investigation discussion and nice roleplaying. The Noir style detective is particularly well played.

2. The balance of the adventure. It proves excellent skills on the GM for research and prep and improv. The GM always appears prepared or unphased by the Player’s actions. It furthermore does engage on the interest in history and certain historic events. I approve of the style of “give players a goal and a sandbox to complete the goal in an let then solve it” adventures, and this is performed wonderfully by the GM and accepted fully by the players.

Overall, a good listen, even if I disapprove of the separated stereo audio.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.