Forums Gaming Chat Roleplaying The Worlds Largest Dungeon using Pathfinder?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    glipe
    • Flumph

Has anyone run The Worlds Largest Dungeon using Pathfinder (or other editions of D&D)?  If so, did you run it as written, or was there a lot of work to change stat blocks etc.?

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I’ve not tried it. I suspect a lot of it can be run as written as a lot of the monsters (especially early on) are standard from the Monster Manual so they should equate pretty well.

There are a few monsters that would need work to add levels and all encounters would have to be checked for balance before you ran them but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work and be a pretty easy conversion.

Hal :hal:

glipe
    • Flumph

I’ve not tried it. I suspect a lot of it can be run as written as a lot of the monsters (especially early on) are standard from the Monster Manual so they should equate pretty well.

There are a few monsters that would need work to add levels and all encounters would have to be checked for balance before you ran them but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work and be a pretty easy conversion.

Yeah, I’m going to take a look over the first level and check them against the stat blocks in the Pathfinder Bestiary.  I was more hoping someone would have some notes I could beg, borrow or steal.  *cough* @[member=”Lockhart”] *cough*

Is there any chance you could make a guest appearance as the voice of the Lantern Archon?  :plotting:

Stephen

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

*cough* @[member=Lockhart] *cough*
    Is there any chance you could make a guest appearance as the voice of the Lantern Archon?  :plotting:

Ooh, that might be a great new Patron incentive. 🙂 Sign up, and get access to recordings of Lockhart, Hal, and other amazing GMs on the site, where they recite various stock NPC commentary.

melanikus
    • Commoner

I have been running WLD in Pathfinder for a few years now ( I shudder to think how long) with a regular group (currently in Region D, after exploring A, B, C, F, G, L, & H). I run it pretty much from the book using stat blocks from the bestiaries where possible (spellcasters or classed monsters I usually re-crerate or run from the book as is). The only bit to really look out for is creating the CMD & CMB stats on the fly, otherwise most of the statblocks are fine to use from the book.

Lockhart
    • Owlbear

This is a good point. Pathfinder is fairly well designed and established with it’s bestiaries now that you can run most 3.5 adventures with simple substitution. And if they do more NPC products it shouldn’t be too tricky to slip in those as substitutions for old stat blocks too, though I tend to prefer the personal and more deadly touch of re-stating complex enemies myself.

MelkiorWhiteblade
    • Owlbear

I have been running WLD in Pathfinder for a few years now ( I shudder to think how long) with a regular group (currently in Region D, after exploring A, B, C, F, G, L, & H). I run it pretty much from the book using stat blocks from the bestiaries where possible (spellcasters or classed monsters I usually re-crerate or run from the book as is). The only bit to really look out for is creating the CMD & CMB stats on the fly, otherwise most of the statblocks are fine to use from the book.

Okay, I never had the book so I don’t how this works, but I assumed that the map was three regions across and then many more top to bottom, meaning from region A you could either go East to region B or north to region D. Meaning region D would be relatively low level. Did the book have suggestions on increasing the difficulty if the region was explored in a different order or am I missing something?

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

No – I think the dungeon was organized so that things got more difficult the further you got from the entrance area – I never really assess the difficultly of getting through it or if there was an optimal route.

I suspect different parties will find different areas more of less difficult. Our group never went back to explore all the possibilities 🙂

Maybe I need to run this again on audio… 😛 Or a different Mega Dungeon. Does the site need a new Mega Dungeon Recording?

forgedchaos
    • Orc

I love Mega Dungeons, would mind playing in one or if i could find a group and figure out how to record it Running one

Lockhart
    • Owlbear

On one hand, I like Mega-dungeons. On the otherhand, Shattered Star has been quite dungeon heavy…Though admittedly not a Mega-dungeon.

I have plenty of Mega-dungeons itching to run though. Temple of Jing. Emerald Spire. Or maybe a FGG Mega-module. So many adventures, So little time.

Mind…Maybe some shorter modules/campaigns might be good too after Phandelver and Shattered Star. Things finished under 10 sessions. Variety. Maybe me and Hal need to run different things con-currently…

I’m getting off topic. I believe some friends in Yorkton are running WLD with Pathfinder. Maybe I should check how much is being modded there.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I have Caslte Whiterock which looks pretty promising…

Was thinking I might try and see about taking a classic DnD style mega dungeon and seeing about running it in something like Rolemaster 😉

I still like Night Below – I ran a great game of it in the far distant past before we started recording out games and I think it might work pretty well as an RM game 😀

😛

thad
    • Thri-kreen

We’re still all waiting for World’s Largest City…

forgedchaos
    • Orc

I like that Idea of running a classic D&D in RoleMaster (Need More RoleMaster Drool…) I would love to do either Ruins of the UnderMountian or Dragon Mountian 

Aethyr
    • Thri-kreen

But will there be the fun of a Hal run Rolemaster shopping trip in a mega dungeon?

insert witticism here

forgedchaos
    • Orc

There would be in Ruins of the Undermountain, The entrance is a bar on the outskirts of Waterdeep.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘Roleplaying’ is closed to new topics and replies.