Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter The Sunless Citadel The Sunless Citadel Character Generation

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    centauri
    • Owlbear
    Keener wrote:
    I have not seen anything about this “Robin Hood” show and I am very happy, it would upset me to see them so ruin such classic stories. 😀

Perhaps you can help me understand why a poor retelling of a story “ruins” the original story. I’ve never understood why people think that. Is it because people who like the original will be assumed to like the retelling and therefore be assumed to have bad taste?

Keener
    • Drider

My problem is that most people never get around to read the original and feel that the “retelling” is how it is, that all. 😀

Lindsay
    • Succubus

I know what Keener means..

I feel like that about Lord of the Rings (your exempt Helen 😀 )

I dont mind the films, but as LotR’s is my all time fav book, since the age of 10, it upsets me that people think the films “are it”…in my opinion, the books offer so much more..the descriptions, the emotions take the story to another level…and the other problem with the films is artist licence…to make a blockbuster, you change bits, and add bits. I appreciate this, but I do think that this makes people beleive the film, and not think about the book..

😀

Balgin
    • Succubus
    centauri wrote:
    Keener wrote:
    I have not seen anything about this “Robin Hood” show and I am very happy, it would upset me to see them so ruin such classic stories. 😀

Perhaps you can help me understand why a poor retelling of a story “ruins” the original story. I’ve never understood why people think that. Is it because people who like the original will be assumed to like the retelling and therefore be assumed to have bad taste?

Okay, imagine a version of Robin Hood where there are constant slow motion action replays, exessive modern “media buzzwords” (so the stupid chavs can understand what’s going on without having to had it explain to them) and every farmer and peasant is an ex soldier who “knows” that you have to do lots of martial arts poses and make Bruce Lee noises before a medieval english brawl.

And those were the best bits (it got a lot worse). I mean there was the black nun (nothing unusual about that nowadays but surely the characters should’ve smelled a rat, I mean, as a con woman she could’ve chosen a more believeable cover).

See my Huge Rant about almost every single episode of this travesty in this thread here.

Quote:
    I dont mind the films, but as LotR’s is my all time fav book, since the age of 10, it upsets me that people think the films “are it”…in my opinion, the books offer so much more..the descriptions, the emotions take the story to another level…and the other problem with the films is artist licence…to make a blockbuster, you change bits, and add bits.

Here’s my opinion: They’re great films. They’re absolutely awful films of The Lord of the Rings but they’re very good films.

centauri
    • Owlbear
    Balgin wrote:
    See my Huge Rant about almost every single episode of this travesty in this thread here.

I’m not going to argue that this particular retelling is good or bad, I’m talking more generally: how does a poor version of a story “ruin” the original? Or maybe I’m coming at it the wrong way. Maybe you mean that it’s like someone trying to recreate the Mona Lisa in, say, a modern style and by “updating” all of Leonardo’s references and totally botching it. The original isn’t ruined, but the recreation is a ruin. Is that what you mean? But then, why is that any sadder than any other failed piece of art?

I’m not meaning to pick on you, I’m interested in understanding. We can take this to private messages if you want, but taking threads off track seems to be the order of the day on this site.

Lindsay
    • Succubus
    centauri wrote:

I’m not meaning to pick on you, I’m interested in understanding. We can take this to private messages if you want, but taking threads off track seems to be the order of the day on this site.

Erm…see my last post…

And threads do stay on topic, but we are a fairly relaxed forum..

I can get stern on your ass if needed :whip:

Balgin
    • Succubus

In that case I think that Keener got it spot on. If a bad retelling makes people think ill of the original (or if a bad retelling makes people with bad atste think they like it, and then they kick up a fuss about how it’s “nuffink like da telly vershun” and spoil true fans’ enjoyment of it) then it’s a bad retelling.

centauri
    • Owlbear
    Lindsay wrote:
    I dont mind the films, but as LotR’s is my all time fav book, since the age of 10, it upsets me that people think the films “are it”…in my opinion, the books offer so much more..the descriptions, the emotions take the story to another level…and the other problem with the films is artist licence…to make a blockbuster, you change bits, and add bits. I appreciate this, but I do think that this makes people beleive the film, and not think about the book..

Sorry, didn’t mean to ignore you, I just wanted to chase down what Balgin was saying.

It’s the classic “book vs. movie” argument. I’m glad that a good movie might make an obscure or hard-to-grapple with book easier for people to access. I mean, no one should really have to read the Council of Elrond chapter. I heard of one person whose father abbreviated it to “They decide to take the ring to Mordor,” and who didn’t learn that it was actually a huge, dense chapter until years later. If someone made an honest effort to read the books and chokeed on that chapter, I for one couldn’t blame them, since it took me a couple of tries myself. Same for people who thought they might like the book based on the setting or the theme, or the fact that they liked The Hobbit, but then heard that it had dull parts and let it lie. If they can get into the movie versions, more power to them. The main aspects of the story are there, so it’s okay if some of the details must be left behind or changed.

Keener
    • Drider
    Lindsay wrote:

Erm…see my last post…

And threads do stay on topic, but we are a fairly relaxed forum..

I can get stern on your ass if needed :whip:

Be careful Lindsay carries a mean whip. 😀 Anyways on another note Hal are you going to be posting all of the Sunless Citadel fairly quicky or are you going to stretch it out a bit?

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

Oh, and Fin, the reason people play Elven Wizards. Bonus to Dex gives you a better armor class and the additional weapon proficiencies open up the wizard’s choices. Wizard with a longbow far more useful than wizard with a staff. 🙂

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

Still listening through Char Gen (I love Char Gen sessions). Steve, you’re shaking my faith in you as a D&D guru. Being Small is a +1 to hit, not a -1. 🙂 Large is a -1 to hit.

centauri
    • Owlbear
    WerewolfPaladin wrote:
    Being Small is a +1 to hit, not a -1.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who noticed that. Feylin had some problems with that too, losing and gaining bonuses when it was forgotten what granted them. I’m hoping they’ll catch the mistake midgame.

Lindsay
    • Succubus

A lot of the mistakes are generally my fault *…I am crap at remember ing bonuses etc, and its my place really to try and learn them…doh!

I intend to be better…

* (its becasue I role play nude, obviously)

WhiteKnight
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Lindsay wrote:
    * (its becasue I role play nude, obviously)

Very true. . . that’s what generally caused the rest of us to make mistakes. . . 😯

Lindsay
    • Succubus

Exactly, cant be helped really…mistakes under stress are inevetable 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • The forum ‘The Sunless Citadel’ is closed to new topics and replies.