Forums Archive Non RPG Chatter Fun Stuff The English are Coming…..

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Thing
    Admin
    • Drider
    Shathis wrote:
    Thing wrote:
    [What I can’t stand are ethnocentric grammarians. hehe. And NO, I’m not accusing YOU. 😀 It’s those guys who stroll into my office.

I think I know the type you mean. I worked quite a bit with the foreign language testers and translators while I was out at Microsoft. The technical language has a lot of it’s own rules on top of the regular language, but it can be really interesting when you get people comparing the translations in English, Russian, Japanese, and German, arguing over the nuances of some translations and then having to re-revise after the lawyers check it over.

Luckily I didn’t need to be able to actually read any of the prompts to use the sytems.

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Lindsay wrote:
    I beleive, and im sure ill be corrected if im wrong, but the American version of English is actually closer to the original language root that what is spoken in the Uk now. The Uk english has actually evolved away from the root language, whereas America has maintained the older version.

And it wasnt meant to casue quite this stir, i thought it was a funny thing… 😳

It was very funny! The intelligence level on these forums is just so high, though, that I can’t resist a dig here or there to set everyone off on a rant. 😈

Lindsay
    • Succubus

I must i must i must…improve my…..level of inteligence….

Thing
    Admin
    • Drider
    Lindsay wrote:
    I must i must i must…improve my…..level of inteligence….

You seem quite intelligent, and charismatic, but you can get +1 point every 4 levels. 😉

Although I almost busted a gut, with where I thought your chant was going. 😉

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

Salve!

How about we all just go back Lingua Latina. A huge empire and a few hundred million Catholics can’t be far wrong! So yes, everyone ex your high equus and join the Roman Revolution so we can stab Caesar again.

Valve!

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube

Et tu, Mch? Now you’re talking! (Even if you are doing so in a dead language 😕 ) As a man who unashamedly sat on the Latin Club homecoming float in a slave toga for two years running, I’m all for this idea.

Salubrai
    • Succubus

I think you hit a geek point of pride, as my two languages of study were… Japanese and LATIN. 😛

Someone break out my riding leathers (but no stirrups as they haven’t been invented yet (at least in OUR Empire)- but hey! We Romans are REAL men and don’t need them!)

Oh, Linds, whose intelligence rank is higher? Fianna or Feylin?

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

Yes, French, Latin and Japanese are ruining my english. Salve! Watashinonamaewa Facknitz desu. Et toi? Cool. Nice to meet you. Je suis daigakuinsei desu. Ah, you too. Mirabili! Mea enim beatus! Bon soir!

riddles
    • Succubus
    Shathis wrote:

Although I hear dirty rumours that American English’s ACCENT is more similar to the original accent than those used in England today. Now, I cannot vouch for that

I’ve heard the same. Apparently, a strong Bronx accent is the closest to what Shakespeare’s would have been. (hey, it was on Radio 4 so it must be true).

And Lindsay, you must know by now that we argue over ANYTHING on these forums. You could have posted saying it’s dark at night, and someone would be contradicting you! 🙂

Thing
    Admin
    • Drider
    riddles wrote:
    And Lindsay, you must know by now that we argue over ANYTHING on these forums. You could have posted saying it’s dark at night, and someone would be contradicting you! 🙂

No we don’t! We never argue! 😉

riddles
    • Succubus
    Thing wrote:

Oh yes we do! 😛

Thing
    Admin
    • Drider
    riddles wrote:
    Thing wrote:

Oh yes we do! 😛

You would think that!

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Thing wrote:
    riddles wrote:
    Thing wrote:

Oh yes we do! 😛

You would think that!

I disagree with you both! I don’t know just how yet, but I do!

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Oy you lot! I wasn’t disagreeing with Lindsay. You’re ALL wrong. 😀

Thing
    Admin
    • Drider
    Shathis wrote:
    Oy you lot! I wasn’t disagreeing with Lindsay. You’re ALL wrong. 😀

Oi! Don’t you go telling me what you where or wheren’t doing. You lot straighten up right now or I’ll be forced to remove my belt and by thunder me trousers will fall down!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • The forum ‘Fun Stuff’ is closed to new topics and replies.