Forums Archive Non RPG Chatter Miniature Painting Suggestions: Curse of the Mummy’s Tomb Substitutes?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sinister-Ornament
    • Gelatinous Cube

Curse of the Mummy’s Tomb Expansion Miniatures Substitutes?

I’ve a copy of the Games Workshop Game ‘The Curse of the Mummy’s Tomb’ – I’ve recently acquired the character sheets that were printed in White Dwarf of the four expansion characters

These are

‘Dodger’ Fagin

A suited figure with a sack over shoulder a flat cap on, a handkerchief tied round his neck (masking his face) and a sap or short club in his hand.

Doctor Chai San Fong

A Fu Manchu type master villain – (with more facial hair)

Mycroft Lestrade

A Sherlock Holmes rip-off

Idaho Smith

An ‘Indiana Jones’ type with pistol, whip, ripped shirt and cowboy hat

Picture of their character sheets are here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/62

(The original four, if you’re interested are, a vicar with cross, a detective with a gun, and a soldier with sword and an equipment laden archaeologists)

As it would be extremely difficult (not to mention expensive) to find the original Citadel miniature for these expansion characters, I wondered if any of you knew of any miniature companies that did figures roughly in scale with Citadels output in the late 1980 that could be used as stand in for the four expansion miniatures?

Copplestone Castings do a ‘So-so’ Idaho Smith but you have to buy three other minis to get him. (Pack BC5)

http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/ra … ?range=BOB

Balgin
    • Succubus

Lestrade, if you can get it, the Spyglass/ Sherlock Holmes mini.

SGM005%20Sherlock%20-%20SG%202.jpg

SGM005%20Sherlock%20-%20SG%203.jpg

Artemis Black’s might still have a few in stock and then Steve (spyglass/Eolith sculptor) claimed the Holmes figure never sold as well as it should so if you sent him a polite email he might have some lying about. I could even ask him for you if you like.

A few other of the more obscure places might have some too.

Fot the oriental doctor the Hasslefree martial artist’s section might have something to offer. I’m not sure if this is a man or woman. It looks like a woman but yiou might be able to get away with it. Otherwise try Copplestone or maybe Ground Zero Games and see if they’ve got something apropriate (they probably have).

I’m not sure what to do for your generic burglar chappie but this archeologist with optional whip arm from reaper minis might do the trick. They also have a Holmes miniature so you could kill two birds with one stone (or one order, in this case).

Sinister-Ornament
    • Gelatinous Cube

Cheers for that Balgin some good suggestions there I especially like the very last Homes one, the book and the lantern make him much different from other Victorian gentlemen in country wear.

The Fu Manchu type is probably the second most difficult after the robber character.

There’s a good one here:

http://www.pulpfigures.com/main.php

but I have it and it is so out of scale with the Citadel its unreal – it makes Fu Manchu look like a eight feet tall Chinaman (giant yellow peril :lol:).

I just noticed that among the eight characters there’s not a single female. Perhaps there should be a Margaret Rutherford Mrs. Marple Type.

http://www.artizandesigns.com/prod.php?prod=1229

Didn’t Agatha Christie herself work doing the work of an archaeologist’s assistant at some point in her life?

Balgin
    • Succubus
    Sinister-Ornament wrote:
    Margaret Rutherford Mrs. Marple Type.

Who? Is that the actress who always played her in the 60’s and 70’s or something?

Quote:
    Didn’t Agatha Christie herself work doing the work of an archaeologist’s assistant at some point in her life?

She was present at some egyptian archeological digs more than once and she was doing more than standing around looking pretty. I’m not sure about assistant ‘though. She was very into archeology and might’ve been working as a fully fledged archeologist along some male ones so it wouldn’t be so controversial :p.

Quote:
    I just noticed that among the eight characters there’s not a single female.

Eight? is this some dodgey Fantasy Flight Games ripoff republishing jobbie like when they added a female character to the Fury of Dracula boardgame despite her being a victim in the original book?

As far as I’m aware there were only four characters ever featured in all the adverts in White Dwarf and they’re the ones you mentioned. Perhaps there was a Dungeonquest style “extra characters add on” thing.

SnackGirl
    • Thri-kreen

For info, thought totally off-topic, Agatha Christie’s secon husband was Max Mallowan, an archaeologist who excavated mainly in Iraq. Agatha was often in Iraq with him and while she didn’t dig, she worked on the artefacts her husband found.

Cheers,

Helen

Sinister-Ornament
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Quote:
    Eight? is this some dodgey Fantasy Flight Games ripoff republishing jobbie like when they added a female character to the Fury of Dracula boardgame despite her being a victim in the original book?

As far as I’m aware there were only four characters ever featured in all the adverts in White Dwarf and they’re the ones you mentioned. Perhaps there was a Dungeonquest style “extra characters add on” thing.

That reminds me I keep an eye out for both the Dungeonquest expansions on E-bay as it is one of the few boardgames I can get my brother to play.

The basic figures are…

Rev. Luther Kirkegard – A vicar with cross,

Marlow Hammett – A detective with a gun,

Lt. Gen. The Earl of Carmarthen – A soldier with sword

Professor Nayland Cushing – An equipment laden archaeologists

The ‘expansion’ figures I already mentioned in my first post, were not released as an expansion you could buy but were an article in White Dwarf just before it went ‘bad’, (and only started being an in-house magazine).

I don’t understand your dislike of one of the four characters in Fury of Dracula – (non-Games Worshop version) has she replaced your favourite character or is she not wearing a low enough cut top!

Quote:
    For info, thought totally off-topic, Agatha Christie’s secon husband was Max Mallowan, an archaeologist who excavated mainly in Iraq. Agatha was often in Iraq with him and while she didn’t dig, she worked on the artefacts her husband found.

Thanks Helen!

I must get round to reading some Agatha Christie – good 1920s research and good fun – The Secret Adversary always sounded like a good place to start with its young detective couple.

Balgin
    • Succubus
    Sinister-Ornament wrote:
    I don’t understand your dislike of one of the four characters in Fury of Dracula – (non-Games Worshop version) has she replaced your favourite character or is she not wearing a low enough cut top!

Could it be that she’s technicaly dead befor the game even begins? NO, that would be the other woman inb the story. The one they chose is the one who got bitten and thus allowed the hunters to use her link to the vampire to track him while she lay around feebly being weak and not doing anything.

She really doesn’t take an active “vampire hunting” part in the story at all whereas the three characters from the original boardgame were the original vampire hunters from the novel. There were in game rules for using ahunter who’d been bitten in exactly the same way.

Also, since it was a combination of Battleships and something else, introducing a fifth player shifts the play balance for everyone and it’s a different experience.

It’s nothing to do with her replacing anyone or the way she’s dressed but that, by the time the game begins she’s basicaly a victim/npc and thus should not be taking part.

Sinister-Ornament
    • Gelatinous Cube

Regarding the way she’s dressed – I was only joking.

I assume that the ‘dead’ one you refer to is the character of Lucy. Mina has featured very heavily in recent Dracula related stuff for example – The League of Gentlemen and the TV series Demons.

I admit it has been several years since I last read Dracula but I remember being surprised that Van Helsing was the steely determined Peter Cushing character but more like a comic foil/buffoon with a dodgy accent.

While we’re on the subject is the new version of Fury of Dracula any good?

Can you kill him with a bowie knife?

Balgin
    • Succubus
    Sinister-Ornament wrote:
    While we’re on the subject is the new version of Fury of Dracula any good?

I wouldn’t know. I’ve only played the old version. It’s sort of like Cluedo and battleships and that detective game set in London where you could travel by car, bus or the London Underground.

The vampire hunters hunt Dracula. They travel around a map of late 19th century europe by road, ship or train. Dracula travels by the exact same means but he is not on the board. He travels on a copy of the map behind a “GM’s screen” and can leave bunches of thugs, swarms of rats, bats and all manner of assorted hazards for the players to blunder across (on his version of the map). These are only revealed when players encounter them, possibly suggesting they’re hot on his trail. The hidden tokens and counters thing, and working out where he went next, is where the battleships similarity comes in. Cluedo too, since he always leaves a “dark influence” thing in the last space he was in, so they know if they’re really close.

When Dracula attacks a player, or they find him, it’s all paper, scissors, stone with hidden combat moves revealed simultaneously. Two thirds of Dracula’s combat moves are only allowed at night time.

It’s a fun game but I haven’t played the new version yet. It was also written by Stephen Hand who did such a good job on 2 or 3 of the Fighting Fantasy books.

And getting back to the curse of the mummy’s tomb, Hasslefree’s old granny might work for a Miss Marple type.

In fact, if you really wanted to be silly….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Miniature Painting’ is closed to new topics and replies.