Forums Archive Non RPG Chatter Miniature Painting Stuff I’m currently painting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Balgin
    • Succubus

In no particular order.

Knight Templar

Dwarven Warrior/Priestess

Salish, agent of Karnacos and evil thug (I should take some pictures again as he’s nearly finished now).

Another Viking to go with Inga Actualy there’s 5 more of them but 2 don’t have any paint on yet and I haven’t taken any pictures of the other two yet.

Nemien Callishan, unassuming assistant bookshop keeper’s apprentice a lovely and lovable character I once played many years ago. Very philosophical.

There’s a few other bits and bobs in the works but I haven’t taken any pictures of them yet.

nittanyjohn
    • Orc

Excellent work as usual… sometimes I wish I could put time into just a few pieces to make them look good vs. the mass production method to get wargames-sized armies on the table. Speaking of… I just caught wind of these plastic vikings, just gorgeous.

http://www.wargamesfactory.com/Announce … x?ID=25561

Balgin
    • Succubus
    nittanyjohn wrote:
    Excellent work as usual… sometimes I wish I could put time into just a few pieces to make them look good vs. the mass production method to get wargames-sized armies on the table.

See that half painted knight? That’s about 3-4 hours work so far you know. I paint really slowly (and it’s one of the reasons I never try to paint units or armies. I’d just get bored way before finishing any of them).

Falsecut
    • Commoner

Very cool dude.

Balgin
    • Succubus

Updated the knight. I’m well chuffed considering the fact that I was rubbing sleep from ym eyes as I painted that face and beard :).

oldschool14.jpg

Falsecut
    • Commoner

The figure is very cool. Where abouts did you get him?

Balgin
    • Succubus

He’s a Hell Dorado miniature. I don’t like most of their stuff – they’re trying to copy Tom Meier’s sculpting style and getting it wrong. They’re also trying to copy the Privateer Press multipart style in the wrong scale. So they’re anightmare to put together.

They’re often guilty of ggetting heads wrong with the face taking up too much of the front of the head and not enough back or sides to the head so theyr characters can look a tiny bit sharklike.

I’ve uploaded some new pictures of him today and he’s nearly finished now.

oldschool15.jpg

I live in the UK so I’m not sure where the best place for you to buy him from would be but if you can let me know where you’re situated then I can provide afew links if you want.

If you’d like to search for your own then go looking for Hell Dorado mercenary officer Andre de Montbard, something something of the order of the Knights Templar.

Falsecut
    • Commoner

I’m in New Zealand. In any case I can’t afford any new stuff right now, too many other projects on the trot, but I’ll keep an eye out when I’m back in the market.

Cheers dude.

Sinister-Ornament
    • Gelatinous Cube

Balgin I’ve save the pictures you posted (I think it was you) of that Hasslefree Dwarven Wizard you painted I’m plan to copy your paint scheme on that one.

you do faces so well!

I always mess the eyes, up any tips?

Balgin
    • Succubus
    Sinister-Ornament wrote:
    Balgin I’ve save the pictures you posted (I think it was you) of that Hasslefree Dwarven Wizard you painted I’m plan to copy your paint scheme on that one.

you do faces so well!

I always mess the eyes, up any tips?

If they’re small enough, don’t paint them. do the entire eye socket the darkest colour you’re shading the skin with and you can get away with it looking like the eyes are in shadow.

Another really simple way to do eyes on less good sculpts is a line and a dot. The dot is the middle of the eye and the line, bisecting the upper portion of the dot, is the eyebrow.

Alternatively, always do your eyes before your skin. Don’t worry if you go over the edges of the eye. You’ll be painting back up to the edges with skin colour.

Generaly I put on the skin base colour then I use an off white to splodge in the eyes. it doesn’t matter if I go over the edges as I’ll tidy that up afterwards. Next I dot the eyes. Then I tidy up around the edges of the eyes with the base skin colour and leave a little bit of that dark skin tone around the edges of the eyes when I apply the next coat.

For that wizard the dark eyesockets trick works just fine :). If you want to know what colours I used check the Gandalf painting articles on the Games Workshop website :p. The only colours I had to chose for myself were the hat and the ball at the top of the staff.

Balgin
    • Succubus

I should’ve mentioned this Succubus. Beware, naked skin bits so not safe for work or children.

Balgin
    • Succubus

Well I finaly got some time to paint today (and not very much of it) so I got started on 3 or 4 of your lovely miniatures. It’s not much but here’s a few photos for now. His beard isn’t finished. It’s just the face. I’ll probably have to paint his shoulderplate before his beard, and maybe his hood too. For some reason his face is more detailed down one side than the other. Anyway, this is Lord Haskill slowly taking form. I can’t say how long he’ll take to get finished but I’ll probably be working on the metals next.

Haskill1.jpg

Haskill2.jpg

Haskill3.jpg

Balgin
    • Succubus

Lord Haskill

Pretty much finished now.

Manzcar
    • Thri-kreen

nice work

Balgin
    • Succubus

A little side project that may grow in scale.

You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘Miniature Painting’ is closed to new topics and replies.