Forums Gaming Chat Roleplaying Shadows of Esteren

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Shade
    • Orc

Played a game of Shadows of Esteren with Balgin several months ago psst we should do that again 😛

I had a lot of fun with the investigative/politcal nature of the adventure that we played and with our little pre-gens who were slowly going insane from the paranormal activity as well as from our own paranoia.  I can’t wait to play the next adventure and the latest adventure the Monastery of Tuath.

I’m not sure if the recordings of the sessions are up yet though I do hope they appear soon!

Also for those who played it or ran it what do you all think of the game?

also quick blurb:

they currently have a project going if you want to check it out ^^

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1176616619/shadows-of-esteren-a-medieval-horror-rpg-tuath?ref=category

Miran
    • Commoner

I’ve heard good things about this one, but never had the opportunity to play it. From what I’ve seen, the magic section could use a bit of work. As you progress, your magic gets really potent (tho always with the failure chances) and so long as you can cast it successfully, the chances of saving against it never really get any better. In some ways, considering that folks can push their save dc up, the chances of saving actually get worse.

The lore of the setting, however, is pretty awesome. Land-bound peninsula that’s cut off from the mainland by mountains and an infamously tempestuous sea? Great place to have a campaign. Not only are there old mysteries that you can’t safely explore, there are people living with old faiths and ways that are in active conflict with ‘modern’ ideas and ideals. The constant “the wilds are a really f*cking scary place” thing too is just frosting on an already amazing cake.

The book itself is pretty awesome too. The way it’s written, it’s really hard to avoid getting immersed in the setting as you read along and try to learn how the game is played. Even the mechanics sections are swimming with lore, and it’s been a long time since I’ve seen so much thought go into a setting. Makes me wish I had the opportunity to play it >.>

Balgin
    • Succubus

Played a game of Shadows of Esteren with Balgin several months ago psst we should do that again 😛

You know I really should release those recordings. Why have I not done so yet? Well, because I’m trying to make a nice intro to slap on the front first. That’s why :).

Slartibartfast
    • Gelatinous Cube

You know I really should release those recordings. Why have I not done so yet? Well, because I’m trying to make a nice intro to slap on the front first. That’s why :).

re: Intro

I bought the pdf set from the SoE guys at UKGamesExpo a couple of years ago (not played it yet to my shame).  If I remember correctly it came with a soundtrack that had been composed along with the (beautiful) concept artwork.  You could have a word with them and ask if you can use their music perhaps…

Balgin
    • Succubus

re: Intro

I bought the pdf set from the SoE guys at UKGamesExpo a couple of years ago (not played it yet to my shame).  If I remember correctly it came with a soundtrack that had been composed along with the (beautiful) concept artwork.  You could have a word with them and ask if you can use their music perhaps…

Yep. Guess what…… One of the reasons for the delay in releasing the recordings was me asking them for permission to use some of that music in the intro and them getting back in touch and saying yes :). Once I had their permission I had to ask Hal if he would be okay hosting a recording that featured copywrite music (used with permission) and waiting for a response from him (he is fine with it and even offered some helpful suggestions). Now the only barrier for me is learning how to layer voice over music which I’ll probably be asking about soon in the Contributor’s section if I don’t work it out for myself soon.

Slartibartfast
    • Gelatinous Cube

Yabadabadooo!

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Now the only barrier for me is learning how to layer voice over music which I’ll probably be asking about soon in the Contributor’s section if I don’t work it out for myself soon.

What software are you using? If you’ve got Audacity, working with multiple audio layers is a snap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6GoFk15C5Y

Balgin
    • Succubus

Thanks for that. It was most useful.

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

I_m_helping_1.jpg

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Roleplaying’ is closed to new topics and replies.