Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter World’s Largest Dungeon Session 4 – Worldwide D&D Games Day

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

In honour of the fact that it is Worldwide D&D Games Day on Saturday (according to Wizards), Session 4 of World’s Largest Dungeon has been dedicated to that.

This was helped by the fact that we managed to get our sticky fingers on a retailers pack for Saturday and distributed it throughout the recording 🙂 Lots of nice Orc and Kobold minis, a T-shirt, a lot of nice pencils and dice and stuff and a HUGE banner.

We did a group pick (which Snack Girl took for us) so you can finally see what we all look like. Although we are mostly hiding behind the HUGE banner 😀

Anyway, just thought I would let you all know 😀

I am going to connect Session 4 now, but you really should wait until Saturday 😛

Hal 🙄

Kevin
    • Orc

Sam and I wish we had a banner… We would hang it up on our wall

Kevin
    • Orc

🙁

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

It is rather large and impressive as banners go. All clothy and coated in plastic.

Perhaps if you poped down to your local gaming shop type place and asked thye might give it to you when Games Day is over (which should be now 😀 )

Hal 🙄

Demonix
    • Orc

Thoose banners are pretty hard to get hold of unless your shop or a registered Dungeon Master who was holding an event. If your unable to get one from a shop try on ebay?

😀

Kevin
    • Orc

I shall try

Anonymous
    • Owlbear

Hello all,

First off, just want to let you know that I am enjoying the recordings. They help the day go by more quickly at work. Also, it is a good way to know whether or not the adventure sounds interesting (this one sure does).

Second off, Mountain Dew is wonderful stuff.

And now on to why I’m posting….

I was listening to your session 4 and the dm continually stated in order to do a “back stab” you need to be behind the creature. This is a true statement. However, it is no longer a backstab which is necessary to do the extra damage. It is now known as “sneak attack” and can be preformed from any area of a creature (there is no facing rules in 3rd ed. or 3.5).

From Rogue description:

Sneak Attack: If a rogue can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.

Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a rogue can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. She cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual –4 penalty.

A rogue can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

Don’t mean to intrude or anything, just thought you might appreciate the new rules.

Old_Man_Fish

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I think we have a fine grasp of the rules 😛

I do not actually remember what you are refering to, but I am sure that it may have been a situation where we were perhaps talking about the models on the table and the possibilities of flanking it. Or using the word ‘behind’ in a general sense, more for the realism than for the rules.

Obvuisly the rules are all very nice, but the reality of the matter is that someone is not going to be surprised if you wander towards them waving a knife and then stab them.

You will note that in one of the first two sessions we also modify the rules to take into account the fact that flying allows for 3 Dimensional movement.

It is just one of those things. Quoting rules is all very nice, but sometimes it is best just to get along and enjoy the game.

Cheers

Hal 🙄

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

Sacrilege! 😀

By the way, what is the outcome of using cleave on Mirror Image? Gerout obviously liked Hal’s ruling.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘World’s Largest Dungeon’ is closed to new topics and replies.