Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter Fashionista Gamers Science fiction as a trend?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    wolfsnap
    • Thri-kreen
    MorkilRocks wrote:
    Actually, I chose those examples for a reason. 😀 Rick Owens has one of the highest sell-throughs on Net A Porter.com. He functions on a WYSIWYG philosophy for his runway shows. As bizarre as it looks, it usually ships directly to the stores without alteration. The pic from the Balenciaga show was one of the best selling shows they have ever had. The metal-articulated pants were diffused into a pailletted version for the stores; however, the copper filament fiber fabric base was unchanged. And, Gareth Pugh has been making that type of stuff since his lines inception. Again, the clothes get diffused, but he is selling well in high end boutiques. So I guess people are wearing theses types of clothes. Whether or not they constitute a mass market appeal is another question.

G 😀

I’d really like to know who’s wearing them, and under what circumstances. Does this kind of extreme couture have any real cultural relevance anymore? If it’s only being worn by a select group of ultra-chic, ultra-wealthy people in an enclosed setting, then I think it’s hard to say anything about it as a trend.

Maybe it’s because I don’t live and work in a major city anymore that I don’t see the influence. I’d be really interested to see some kind of unique fashion statement that still has the ability to penetrate out to the masses.

Hafwit
    • Thri-kreen

I can only say that I hope stuff like this becomes the norm. I wouldn’t mind the world becoming a little more ‘Transmetropolitan’. 8)

As long as I don’t have to dress like Barbarella. That’d be doing humanity a disservice. 😉

Pheonix
    • Thri-kreen

Nothing like that will ever become the norm.

Why? Well take a look at Star Trek TNG. When the series started they were all wearing tight fitting jump suits and Space cheerleader outfits. By the middle of the series they had changed to looser fitting clothing with collars. And why is that? Well for starters it looked better. people just don’t look well with all that close fitting crap on them. Second the fact is that every culture has gravitated to lose fitting clothing at a bare minimum and generally starts covering up. The reason is that the skin needs to breath. Close fitting space age crap gets very irritating to the skin, and lose fitting clothing allows the air to circulate and it is cooler and more comfortable. That’s why women in the real world generally wore male jeans rather than female jeans. They just found male jeans more comfortable to wear.

Look at leggings. Fact is, most women looked bloody awful in them, and no-one wears them anymore since the media hype stopped.

The other reason is of course that its easier to move around in a loser fitting garment than one where you are fighting the fabric to bend your knees. Which of course stretches the fabric at the joints and results in the thing expanding, creating a wrinkle baggy elbow effect.

So yeah this stuff might make it into the papers because it shows basically naked women, but no-one would ever actually wear anything like it without a massive media campaign behind it calling it “Fasionable”

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer
    Pheonix wrote:
    Nothing like that will ever become the norm. […] The reason is that the skin needs to breath. Close fitting space age crap gets very irritating to the skin, and lose fitting clothing allows the air to circulate and it is cooler and more comfortable.

Hah! This feeble craving for oxygen shall be null and void, as soon as we have completed our transition to fully articulated cyborg bodies. 😀

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Fashionista Gamers’ is closed to new topics and replies.