Forums Gaming Chat Associated Geekery Kickstarter Schlock Mercenary RPG

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Slartibartfast
    • Gelatinous Cube

So Howard Tayler, author of the long running space opera webcomic Schlock Mercenary is writing an RPG with Alan Bahr. Planet Mercenary Kickstarter is up and running and has 20 days to go. If you are interested then there is an AMA on r/fantasy today with the authors. Fandible have managed to get a beta version and favorably reviewed it on their podcast. I’m posting this on my tablet and haven’t managed to sort out links yet so you’ll have to make use of the Google…

TLDR

Guns in space!

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

If @[member=”Hal”] has time to get the gang together, and send an email to the game design crew, RPGMP3 might make a playtest session, too. 🙂

Slartibartfast
    • Gelatinous Cube

That would be great 🙂

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Yeah – I need to send that email…

Let me see…

Hal :hal:

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Fandible have managed to get a beta version and favorably reviewed it on their podcast.

The Cult of Tea & Dice (in case you’re wondering: yes, they’re British) 😉 have posted their own playtest AP session, as well.

Sounds like they were just as enthusiastic as Fandible about it. 🙂 Incidentally, the Fandible gamers have posted two playtest sessions, by now:

kendoyle659
    • Thri-kreen

It sounds interesting but I decided to wait until it reaches retail. I’ve still got a few RPG kickstarters winging their way to me and I’ve decided to cut back slightly. I’m still awaiting my dead tree copy of HOTOE which has taken freakin for ever. I can easily appreciate that things slip. When they’ve met their goal with no trouble I think I can easily stand the wait. 

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I went in on it – also reached out to them about playtesting – perhaps a nice one off. I am getting a very Paranoia / Floating Vagabond kind of a vibe…

Lucky_Strike
    • Orc

I went in on it – also reached out to them about playtesting – perhaps a nice one off. I am getting a very Paranoia / Floating Vagabond kind of a vibe…

Excellent news. Long time since I heard tell of floating vagabond. One of my favorites there. Looking forward to hearing what y’all do with it.

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

I went in on it – also reached out to them about playtesting – perhaps a nice one off.

Huzzah! 😀 I’m sure Nick would enjoy playing one of the homicidal space koalas Tausennigan Ob’Enn.

schlock20010503.png

Slartibartfast
    • Gelatinous Cube

The Fandible Ob’enn voices are hilarious 🙂

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Howard Tayler & co. did an Ask Me Anything on reddit about three weeks ago; one of the questions asked was: “Where do you see the Schlock-verse in terms of science fiction hardness?”

I was looking for a food metaphor, like “Twinky with gravel in it” but all of them stopped sounding delicious and started sounding like broken teeth.

It is space opera with a few very clearly “soft” conceits (Teraport, Annie-Plants, Hypernet, PTUs, Dark Matter intelligence) and a large number of extrapolated and integrated “hard” elements (bullets hit things with measurable kinetic energy, things on our periodic table act the way they’re supposed to, low frequency sound is omnidirectional, etc) that will enter into the story pretty regularly.

Oooh! Gelato with dark chocolate chunks and caramelized-roasted almonds.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Kickstarter’ is closed to new topics and replies.