Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter Whartson Hall Gamers S L I D E Ways Session 1

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #611290
    BigJackBrass
    • Posts : 4638
    • Drider
    zachjack77 wrote:
    The show your thinking of was called “Sliders” and also had John-Rhys-Davies of LOTR fame as well.

    See the winking smiley in my post 😀

    Yes, Sliders is indeed one source of inspiration for the game (it was quite enjoyable for the first season, but sadly went downhill later, particularly once John Rhys-Davies left / was booted out. Luckily all of the good episodes are available in a single DVD boxed set), although less of a direct influence than the name S L I D E W A Y S might suggest. The key element I borrowed from that show is having some sort of timer, but I didn’t want it to be quite so clear as to how long the group have between “charges” or make the connection between the timer and opening the next portal so clear. That’s why I decided to go for the worlds shifting one into the next instead of having a doorway or wormhole, but in retrospect it probably does lose a bit of the tension that such a device promoted in the show. This whole game is a bit of a bodge and work in progress, though, so I’m sure I’ll refine the idea by the time we get back to it 😀

    #611291
    thad
    • Posts : 383
    • Thri-kreen
    BigJackBrass wrote:
    particularly once John Rhys-Davies left / was booted out.

    / left as soon as he could.

    He hated it. Just get him talking about it at a convention and you’ll hear that truth…

    #611292
    BigJackBrass
    • Posts : 4638
    • Drider
    thad wrote:
    He hated it. Just get him talking about it at a convention and you’ll hear that truth…

    Really? I’m not too surprised, given some of the snippets I’ve heard about the behind-the-scenes troubles the show had, but for me the character of Arturo was the key to holding the show together, even if he was rarely used effectively. Once he’d gone it started to shift dramatically into a rather ordinary series, I thought. Pity. I used to watch it when I worked for a computer company in Brighton, always hoping that we wouldn’t get any customers in while it was on 😀

    #611293
    Balgin
    • Posts : 2127
    • Succubus

    I disagree with Weasel’s weaselling early on in this one.

    He argued that an ability score should cover a broader spectrum but have a specific reason for being so high. What then happens when the ability score is called upon for a completely different reason?

    A good example of this is actualy his argument for lumping all physical abilities under one. Dodging is not the same as being tough and enduring pain. Being acrobatic could make you somewhat fitter than the average person but really wouldn’t help you hold your breath underwater that much (nowhere near as much of a difference as when it would come to acrobatic stuff).

    Going from that to the four foot hammer really threw me ‘though. Untill then I was under the happy illussion that it might not be amanga picture he’d shown the group.

    This openning session reminded me of a lot of those “children get sent back in time” childrens books from the 70’s and 80’s (and earlier) that people don’t seem to be writing any more where the children turn up during the english civil war or just before Atlantis sinks or something and act in a completely modern way and nobody there seems to notice (except for that daft E Nesbitt thing about Guy Fawkes only being arrested because a stupid time travelling child sang the rhyme about his plot and then explained it when someone asked what they were talking about).

    You could almost classify the Chronicles of Narnia and Alan Garner’s more famous novels in this style of writing but they don’t quite fit the genre.

    A lot of these “children go back in time” books seem like blatant Chronicles of Narnia rip offs but “Narnia does history” written a few decades later. Many of them seemed pretty bland. I’m not saying this session felt bland, just that it had a similar sort of feel to it.

    #611294
    Hafwit
    • Posts : 493
    • Thri-kreen
    Balgin wrote:
    I disagree with Weasel’s weaselling early on in this one.

    He argued that an ability score should cover a broader spectrum but have a specific reason for being so high. What then happens when the ability score is called upon for a completely different reason?

    Didn’t he argue that a given attribute could mean different thing depending on the character? A mob enforcer’s Social skill covers different thing than the insurance salesman’s, and even if the mob enforcer only has a value of Fair to the salesman’s Good, he’ll still be better at intimidating people.

    Of course this potentially leads to a lot of fine-tunings and negotiations during play, but that doesn’t sound like the Weasel we know and admire. 😀

    #611295
    Ieqo
    • Posts : 1090
    • Owlbear

    I myself love this game you’ve cooked up, Jon. If what I’ve gathered from the first installment is correct, you’ve taken Sliders, Quantum Leap, and perhaps even a bit of that crappy Jean-Claude VanDamme film the title of which ecsapes me* and thrown it all into the creative Cuisinart. I’m looking forward to future episodes.

    *= Yes, upon further reflection it occurs to me that using the terms “Jean-Claude VanDamme” and “crappy film” in the same sentence is redundant, and that I have to narrow down the field considerably if I expect anyone to help with the title. Don’t bother. 🙂

    #611296
    Keener
    • Posts : 4977
    • Drider

    The crappy film you may be thinking of is Time Cop. 😀

    #611297
    BigJackBrass
    • Posts : 4638
    • Drider
    Ieqo wrote:
    I myself love this game you’ve cooked up, Jon. If what I’ve gathered from the first installment is correct, you’ve taken Sliders, Quantum Leap, and perhaps even a bit of that crappy Jean-Claude VanDamme film the title of which ecsapes me* and thrown it all into the creative Cuisinart.

    Nice to hear that people are enjoying it. The movie you’re thinking of clearly isn’t anything I’ve ever Timecopped — uh, ever watched…

    EDIT: Clearly some people are Keener about such movies than I… 😉

    I actually wrote a setting document for this one, which is a far cry from my habitual “seat of the pants” approach. Here’s the partial list of influences:

    Inspirations:

    Tom Moldvay – Lords of Creation; Doctor Who; Michael Moorcock – The Jerry Cornelius stories; Fringeworthy; Sliders; Sapphire and Steel; The Tomorrow People; Larry Niven and Steven Barnes – Dream Park; Poul Anderson – The Time Patrol stories; Passages; Fritz Leiber – The Big Time and Changewar; L. Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt: The Compleat Enchanter.

    It’s all a bit of a muddle, of course, but everyone seemed happy with the result. I do need to clarify some parts of the system, though. Fudge allows a great deal of customisation, but I let a few things through that either overlap or are a little too woolly.

    Oh, and that Korean mallet Weasel was talking about? Not manga. He has photos of the guy doing demonstrations with it… 😯

    #611298
    Isis
    • Posts : 2150
    • Succubus
    BigjackBrass wrote:
    Inspirations:

    Tom Moldvay – Lords of Creation; Doctor Who; Michael Moorcock – The Jerry Cornelius stories; Fringeworthy; Sliders; Sapphire and Steel; The Tomorrow People; Larry Niven and Steven Barnes – Dream Park; Poul Anderson – The Time Patrol stories; Passages; Fritz Leiber – The Big Time and Changewar; L. Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt: The Compleat Enchanter.

    Balgin’s post made me think of something else your game reminds me of – The Children of the Stones. Cue bad Seventies effects! 😀

    #611299
    Balgin
    • Posts : 2127
    • Succubus
    Isis wrote:
    The Children of the Stones.

    Isn’t that that series of quite good books about cavemen? A good trilogy (but never a tv series as far as I recall).

    #611300
    Hafwit
    • Posts : 493
    • Thri-kreen

    I love the intro btw.

    #611301
    Isis
    • Posts : 2150
    • Succubus
    Balgin wrote:
    Isis wrote:
    The Children of the Stones.

    Isn’t that that series of quite good books about cavemen? A good trilogy (but never a tv series as far as I recall).

    I was thinking of this series.

    #611302
    weasel
    • Posts : 121
    • Orc
    Balgin wrote:
    I disagree with Weasel’s weaselling early on in this one.

    Ah, but I think you’ll find I’m right, nevertheless 😆 … search your feelings, Balgin. You know it to be true.

    Balgin wrote:

    A good example of this is actualy his argument for lumping all physical abilities under one. Dodging is not the same as being tough and enduring pain. Being acrobatic could make you somewhat fitter than the average person but really wouldn’t help you hold your breath underwater that much (nowhere near as much of a difference as when it would come to acrobatic stuff).

    Ah, the age old argument of sim vs narrative. I was actually suggesting a system like sorcerer. There you have:

    cover (your job) + a description

    stamina (physical) + a description

    will (mental) + a description

    lore (magic) + a description

    … and that’s it.

    So you might have something like Porco Rosso:

    Cover 4 (air-ace pilot)

    stamina 3 (war veteran)

    will 4 (battle-hardened)

    lore 1 (been turned into a pig)

    Of course, you could stat things like in the physical world, but that way lies gurps, and hence madness.

    Balgin wrote:

    Going from that to the four foot hammer really threw me ‘though. Untill then I was under the happy illussion that it might not be amanga picture he’d shown the group.

    au contraire…

    3419293954_2c80d2674a.jpg

    #611303
    abouffard
    • Posts : 6
    • Commoner

    As a fan of the Deryni milieu, and one who bought both the Deryni Adventure book and the 10th Anniversary Fudge book, I’m very interested in following along with this adventure.

    How often do you anticipate playing and posting the audio, once a week?

    I’ve not yet run or played in a Fudge-based game thus it’s very cool to be able to listen in on one as its just getting started and get a feel for how it goes.

    You’re off to a great start and thanks for recording and posting it.

    –Andy

    –Houston, TX

    #611304
    Hal
    Admin
    • Posts : 7753
    • Treant

    Greetings new poster person 🙂

    Welcome to the forums, it is nice to have you on board – especially considering you are from Houston, where Linday and I, and some of the players on the audios, currently reside.

    Welcome welcome 😀

    Hal :hal:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • The forum ‘Whartson Hall Gamers’ is closed to new topics and replies.