Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter Suggestions RuneQuest!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #555898
    Psychman
    • Posts : 21
    • Commoner

    As RuneQuest is back in a shiny new leatherbound edition, how about a RuneQuest campaign?

    Any edition would be acceptable (except Mongoose 1st edition, yuck!) but the fixed Mongoose 2nd edition would be good to hear in play.

    Plus i would like to hear how Hal’s group cope with Glorantha. 🙂

    #622219
    Keener
    • Posts : 4977
    • Drider
    Psychman wrote:
    As RuneQuest is back in a shiny new leatherbound edition, how about a RuneQuest campaign?

    Any edition would be acceptable (except Mongoose 1st edition, yuck!) but the fixed Mongoose 2nd edition would be good to hear in play.

    Plus i would like to hear how Hal’s group cope with Glorantha. 🙂

    Well depending on the day either whining or violence. 😀

    #622220
    riddles
    • Posts : 2288
    • Succubus

    I thought you meant the 2nd edition from 1st time round 🙂

    Percentile system based around 5 percentile blocks (d20 anyone? :)), but still the best “flavour” of Hellenic Greece I’ve ever come across. 🙂

    #622221
    BigJackBrass
    • Posts : 4638
    • Drider
    Psychman wrote:
    Any edition would be acceptable (except Mongoose 1st edition, yuck!) …

    I flicked through a copy of the first Mongoose attempt – I’m not even sure it should be called an edition, somehow – and the first thing I noticed was that they had completely failed to credit Steve Perrin. Oh well done Mongoose 🙄 … and back on the shelf with you. Haven’t looked at any of their RQ books since that shameful episode. Hopefully this time they’ve done things properly.

    And with that out of the way, yes indeed I’d love to hear someone playing RuneQuest, especially an adventure set in Glorantha. Mind you, I don’t think that any of the groups here suffer from a shortage of games to play 😀

    #622222
    Jodast
    • Posts : 465
    • Thri-kreen

    Our games club is currently playing the Avalon Hill RQ 3rd edition. I quite like it as a system. It isn’t perfect, but it is the adventure and the GM which makes the game fun. So I guess this could also cross-thread into the “Does system matter on audio?” thread…and I would have to go with no it doesn’t matter.

    #622223
    Manzcar
    • Posts : 411
    • Thri-kreen

    Being a noob as I am I am willing to listen to any system. I didn’t even know there were all these different systems.

    #622224
    Balgin
    • Posts : 2127
    • Succubus

    Avalon Hill/Chaosium/Games Workshop RQ 3. The Mongoose version really screwed up (keeping locational health but no total life. What’s that about?)

    Put Total HP back into the Mongoose RQ and make one other change (I can’t remember what it was) and it should run fine.

    And please don’t to Glorantha. It’s almost as Disneyfied as Forgotten Realms.

    #622225
    Psychman
    • Posts : 21
    • Commoner

    Locational HP are still there but the disease and poison rules have changed a little to work with it. Combat is significantly improved, and magic. Oh my magic. It gets right back to classic runequest in feel and the balance of power between common magic and divine magic, no more physical runes, and sorcery is fixed. Spirit magic offers many possibilities to a creative player and all is tied in to cults that limit your behaviour as they power you up in the expected behaviour.

    Check it out, it is SO much better than Mongoose’s first attempt it’s almost a different game.

    Yes i am a fan of old style runequest, if you couldn’t guess. 😆

    #622226
    Psychman
    • Posts : 21
    • Commoner
    Balgin wrote:
    And please don’t to Glorantha. It’s almost as Disneyfied as Forgotten Realms.

    Glorantha Disneyfied as Forgotten Realms? How do you mean?

    I always thought it was as rich in it’s own way as Middle Earth. Unless you mean the ducks, but that’s not my impression from your comment.

    #622227
    Balgin
    • Posts : 2127
    • Succubus
    Psychman wrote:
    Locational HP are still there but the disease and poison rules have changed a little to work with it.

    Read what I wrote. I made no claim about locational health being absent. I mentioned that total health was missing.

    Psychman wrote:
    Balgin wrote:
    And please don’t to Glorantha. It’s almost as Disneyfied as Forgotten Realms.

    Glorantha Disneyfied as Forgotten Realms? How do you mean?

    I always thought it was as rich in it’s own way as Middle Earth. Unless you mean the ducks, but that’s not my impression from your comment.

    Too much magic.

    #622228
    Psychman
    • Posts : 21
    • Commoner
    Balgin wrote:
    Psychman wrote:
    Locational HP are still there but the disease and poison rules have changed a little to work with it.

    Read what I wrote. I made no claim about locational health being absent. I mentioned that total health was missing.

    Sorry, I wasn’t clear, I meant that hadn’t changed but the rules that clashed with it in the last edition seem to work better this time: those involving attacks on the characters system as a whole eg disease and poison.

    Balgin wrote:
    Psychman wrote:
    Balgin wrote:
    And please don’t to Glorantha. It’s almost as Disneyfied as Forgotten Realms.

    Glorantha Disneyfied as Forgotten Realms? How do you mean?

    I always thought it was as rich in it’s own way as Middle Earth. Unless you mean the ducks, but that’s not my impression from your comment.

    Too much magic.

    Fair enough, it’s a personal taste thing. The pervasiveness of, and role magic plays in the setting is one of the things I love about the setting. If you think about basic magic as a bit like the superstitious rhymes and chants people used to have about everything they did it may help, except that they actually work.

    #622229
    ThistledownJohn
    • Posts : 542
    • Gelatinous Cube

    I’m an RQ3 fan. Good Lord the fun we had with that version! 😀

    Of course, if I had to pick a best “new” version of RQ, it would be BRP from Chaosium 😀

    #622230
    Slartibartfast
    • Posts : 905
    • Gelatinous Cube

    Not having ever played RQ I’m not really qualified to comment on it but the setting of Glorantha has always seemed very interesting. It does seem distinct from other high magic settings like Forgotten Realms, as Psychman points out, because of the distribution of the magic.

    As I’ve said, I’ve never played but it does intrigue me.

    Now the ducks…

    #622231
    Balgin
    • Posts : 2127
    • Succubus
    Psychman wrote:
    If you think about basic magic as a bit like the superstitious rhymes and chants people used to have about everything they did it may help, except that they actually work.

    The thing is that you basicaly have to think of it that way to avoid feeling sick as if you’ve eaten too much chocolate or sugar. And the rules do not tell you that that is what it is. It’s only when you look at the Spirit Magic 30-50% chance to cast thing and begin to think of it more as a prayer than a magic spell with lots of visual effects that it becomes acceptable.

    #622232
    Psychman
    • Posts : 21
    • Commoner
    Balgin wrote:
    Psychman wrote:
    If you think about basic magic as a bit like the superstitious rhymes and chants people used to have about everything they did it may help, except that they actually work.

    The thing is that you basicaly have to think of it that way to avoid feeling sick as if you’ve eaten too much chocolate or sugar. And the rules do not tell you that that is what it is. It’s only when you look at the Spirit Magic 30-50% chance to cast thing and begin to think of it more as a prayer than a magic spell with lots of visual effects that it becomes acceptable.

    Ever since I read the old RQ3 Glorantha boxed set, I have thought of RQ magic in this way and it is pretty much stated in there that this is the way magic is viewed in the system and setting. After all, all the magic systems in Glorantha have a religious source, including sorcery.

    I do agree that this isn’t made clear crystal clear in the basic rules but in 3rd edition there were those sections where the practitioner of each magic explained how the world and their magic worked from their point of view.

    Sorry for rambling a bit. 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.