Forums RPGMP3 Podcast Audio Actual Play Recordings Whartson Hall Gamers Empire of the Petal Throne Returning to the world of the Petal Throne

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    BigJackBrass
    • Drider

Remarkably, the Whartson Hall Aethernauts managed pretty much a full house last night for our first Hangout game of Empire of the Petal Throne. I’ll be sending the audio to Hal soon, but for now here’s a player list and their characters:

Amelia: Issa hiDaishuna, Magic User and follower of Hriháyal

Jason: Thekuto hiNokor, Warrior and follower of Belkhánu

Riddles (Mark): Bashan Khivasha hiChuyon, Priest of Thúmis

Martin: Nebussa hiDaishuna, Magic User and follower of Ksárul

Nick: Itlang hiTuruken, Warrior and follower of Dilinála

Because we’re recording a Google Hangout session there have been some difficulties in getting the audio capture to work. As a result this first session was recorded using two methods: one of them resulted in periodic bursts of soft static; the other, which I have yet to hear, probably has slightly poorer sound quality but hopefully avoids the static problem. With a bit of luck I should have something working for next week so that we can reliably record the sessions at an acceptable level of quality.

Túsmimra dlánmükoi lakün ssíya! *

EPTcover_zps8609fe9f.jpg

*May your clan prosper!

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Wooooo – Whartson Hall Ride Again 😛

And Petal Throne kicks ass 🙂

Hal :hal:

PrestoJeff
    • Thri-kreen

Glorantha and Tekumel are my two favorite gaming worlds. I’ve never had the chance to play in Tekumel, so these are my vicarious playing sessions.

kendoyle659
    • Thri-kreen

Great. Looking forward to the further adventures in the Aether.

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

Okay, the file is on its way to Hal’s goblin minions. We’ve also recorded a second session, for which I bought a confusing amount of cables and wired up my PC to record itself. Consequently the audio quality for episode two will be an improvement over this first one. Character generation an background discussions take up the first half of session one, then we get to the adventure. It’s possible that there may be a few digressions here and there, but probably not… You know us, after all…

kendoyle659
    • Thri-kreen

Digressions. Surely not. I like the almost death in character creation. I liked the yell of “Proxy” when a roll was required:)

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Okay, the file is on its way to Hal’s goblin minions. We’ve also recorded a second session, for which I bought a confusing amount of cables and wired up my PC to record itself. Consequently the audio quality for episode two will be an improvement over this first one. Character generation an background discussions take up the first half of session one, then we get to the adventure. It’s possible that there may be a few digressions here and there, but probably not… You know us, after all…

I totally wish I had goblin minions 🙂

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

I totally wish I had goblin minions 🙂

You can do the voice, at least:

Building Bridges

😀

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Ha ha – Yes I can 🙂

I can by my own split personality Goblin 😀

Slartibartfast
    • Gelatinous Cube

I have recently infiltrated a group that might be up for some Empire of the Petal Throne so I might be getting some luke-warm curry flavoured buttermilk action shortly!

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

I can by my own split personality Goblin 😀

Isn’t “Splitting Goblins” usually a Dwarven pastime? 😉

I have recently infiltrated a group that might be up for some Empire of the Petal Throne so I might be getting some luke-warm curry flavoured buttermilk action shortly!

Or as Martimus calls it: “Phlegm-Sperm Cocktails”. 😛

PrestoJeff
    • Thri-kreen

I’m curious which of the five novels do folks like the most?

For me, I think it’s the first, “Man of Gold”. It was my first experience of Tekumel, and despite the hero Harsan pretty much reacting all through the novel, it’s still a good read, and the plot elements established here were referenced in the last three books (excluding “Flamesong”)

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

I’m curious which of the five novels do folks like the most?

Overall I think that Flamesong just has the edge for me. I like Trínesh hiKetkolel, for all his faults (there are times when his struggles to deal with his conflicting obligations and duties make him react rather than act, much like Hársan) and it has a little more meat on the political machinations. The device of the ancient tubecar opens up the world a little more and we get to see how varied Tékumel can be; and there’s the first fleeting rumour of Dave Arneson’s legendary Captain Harchar! Man of Gold is a fairly close second, but it doesn’t quite have the pulp adventure feeling I get from Flamesong.

The later books suffered from not having the DAW editors on hand, all of them seeming a little looser and occasionally a little rambling. Trínesh seems to change quite a bit, too, becoming less likeable and more than a touch wooden. Great ideas, wonderful details, but I would always point a new reader to Man of Gold or Flamesong as being the better books.

PrestoJeff
    • Thri-kreen

I agree about the three later books, and I’m not sure I like how the story line with She Who Must Not Be Named ended. From what I’ve read about the relationship between Prof. Barker and DAW, I’m not surprised they didn’t go out under a DAW imprint.

I suspect what tips me towards Man of Gold is that back when I read them, I could sympathize more with the scholar/priest Harsan than the career soldier Trinesh.

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

We played our third session last night and I’ve just sent the file for the second one to Hal, so look for it here soon. There may be trouble ahead… fighting0039.gif

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.