Forums Archive Roleplaying Chatter General RPG Stuff Retro RPG’s

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    WhiteKnight
    • Gelatinous Cube

Hi All,

Guess it was only a matter of time before I found my way here with the rest of the Bradford Wastrels. (A wastrel is sort of like a mistrel, aka a bard, but is even less use to a party).

Anyway I notice a great deal is being done to herald the shiny new products available, but little or nothing for those of us who like to reach back in time to our roots.

I’d like to propose the addition of recordings of some classic scenarios for older systems. As a holder of many such systems I’d be honoured to take up the reins for such sessions. Classics from Traveller, AD&D, Runequest, and a myriad of other systems are available so why not take a stab.

Currently I’m working on Traveller scenarios, but I could take a break to run Classic AD&D, say A1-4 in it’s original directors cut first edition style. Who knows, if it proves popular we could try for GDQ1-7 afterwards, and what site would be complete without the groans of despair playing S1 – Tomb of Horrors. . .

Well there’s the idea, any other Bradford people up for the challenge let me know.

p.s. Hal I resent the title “Gaming n00b”!

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

I’ve been thinking exactly the same thing recently, hence it’s a brilliant idea Steve! 😀

I’m definitely up for it.

It’s been revolving around my head since I heard a recent Mortality Radio show that talked about the top 30 D&D adventures as featured in Dungeon magazine. Most of the top 30 listed we’re old classic 1st edition D&D scenarios and a possible reason why was because for many they were a shared experience between roleplayers – eveyone could recount their adventures against the Frost Giant Jarl. 😀 – The print runs for the modules were in the hundreds of thousands if not millions, whereas these days, seven thousand is a large print run.

Tomb of Horrors – ultimate PC killer!

Time to share those experiences again… 🙂

Paul

P.S. Steve and I both started at BURPS in the same year back in the 80s…

Demonix
    • Orc

Tomb Of Horrors…. that’d be cool is listen to. 😀

Anonymous
    • Owlbear

Yeah listening to the old tomb would be awsome….

“You stumble forward peering off into the darkness trying to find the next trap when the floor gives way beneath you….you fall 100 feet into a spike trap. Please start to roll a new character.”

ten minutes passes….

“You are proceeding very cautiously tapping the floor with a ten foot pole so as not to fall into any more pits. You have almost reached the end of the hallway when a Juggernaught comes out and smashes you. please start to roll a new character.”

Ten minutes passes…..

“You finally reach the end of the first hallway. There is a mural of demons on the wall? … What’s that? you search for a secret door? ok….you touch the mural looking for indentations or any other signs of a secret door. A demon flys off of the wall and eats you. Please roll a new character.”

etc….

Demonix
    • Orc

If your going to post spoilers please say so before hand!

😆

Cob37
    • Gelatinous Cube

If you’re going to play an older module, I nominate “White Plume Mountain”.

Slacker
    • Flumph

Why stop there? Why not do the Bloodstone!

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

Expedition to Barrier Peaks anyone?

On an unrelated note, how many posts does it take to be promoted from ‘noob’ status.

ENoa4

Slacker
    • Flumph

Eleventy

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I was thinking about getting into the old historical stuff 😛 Might be nice to air some of it 😀

Was thinking about possibly starting with a nice and easy jaunt into “The Oldenhaller Contract”, we also have access to lots of other lovely old scenarios 😀

Hal :hal:

Cyricist
    • Commoner

I always liked Council of Wyrms..

Slacker
    • Flumph

Keep on the Borderlands?

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

I think we’ve got a winner. Keep on the Borderlands is about as Classic as one can get. That was the first module I ever had my hands on.

ENoa4

WhiteKnight
    • Gelatinous Cube

Well last nights Oldenhaller contract went really well. Was a little self-conscious doing my first recording 😳 but soon forgot about it and had one of the most enjoyable sessions I’ve played in years.

No spoilers here so you’ll all have to await the upload. Just a note to say this has firmed up my resolve to add to the store of classic recordings.

I have most of the ideas being bandied about, Tomb of Horrors, White Plume Mountain (one of my favourites), Keep on the Borderlands (maybe we can ask Lindsay to GM this for us, shout up if you agree 👿 ). Might even be able to scare up council or Wyrms, though it was never a favourite of mine.

Perhaps it might be worth creating a shortlist of candidates and getting Hal to put up a poll to vote on it. He is after all doing this for the listeners 😀

Lindsay
    • Succubus

Your a bad, bad man!!!

🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘General RPG Stuff’ is closed to new topics and replies.