Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter World’s Largest Dungeon Rat Bastard DM Club

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    spectre72
    • Commoner

Hal,

You hoped to get someone to say how horrible and mean you are as a DM.

Well I am proud of you that you finally killed one of them, but I have had twice as many fatalities as you and my players have not even left region A (explored about 2/3 of the area). 😈

And the best part was that I didn’t even have to do it to them….

Death 1 – Party attacked by stirges and Barbarian tries to hit stirge that is grappled to a party member while he is enraged. Misses stirge, hits companion, criticals. Companion dies….

Death 2 – Character goes into a room by himself to loot bodies and doesn’t see rat swarm. Rats put him down, but he is not dead. The rest of the party threw oil on the rats and the character and lit it on fire killing him. Then they ran away when they realized the rats were fiendish and the fire accomplished nothing other than killing their companion 😉

The best part was it was 2 seperate characters for the same player….

Keep up the good work, and welcome to the Rat Bastard DM Club!!

Maybe next session you will go 2 for 2.

BTW – I am greatly enjoying the sessions and wait anxiously for each one to be available.

Keep up the good work.

Scott

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Thanks there! As a GM I always feel a little like killing someones baby when I kill a character. I am not afraid to do it as it would be cheating the players if I hesitated, but I always try to avoid killing them in menial ways. Killed by a kobold or a trap would be too trivial for the mighty Gerout. I am glad he died at the hands of a hugely powerful named creature!

Lets hope the other characters do as well 😀

Hal :hal:

Wellard
    • Orc

Nothing ever beats the ability of players to kill each other.

Case in point my group was fighting a Bebilith in Trouble at Durbenford.

On the first round the(10th level) party was webbed apart from the Sorcerer at the back and the 1/2 orc barbarian at the front(Raging 22 Str helps)

The 1/2 orc moved into melee and got poisoned(ok he still has 70+ hp) then the Sorcerer dropped a 50 hp fireball right on top of the combat.The orc failed his save and then the Bebilith poison reduced his Con again and he died from the HP loss there

From the time the party met the character(he was a replacement for a monk who was killed by a 4HD Beetle) to his untimely demise he lasted 3 and a half game days possibly the shortest lived character I have seen in 25 years.What qualifies me for the RBDMC is the fact that it took me about 5 minutes to stop laughing.

The shortest lived characters I ever saw were a party in my first few weeks of role playing.4 characters wiped out by 3 Hobgoblins in the first room of a dungeon party life time was, I think, 4 rounds.Could that be the fastest TPK on record

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube

My first ever character (a lowly fighter way back in AD&D 1e) died the night he was rolled up in his very first encounter without ever landing a single blow. I can’t remember the number of rounds, but there weren’t many. My DM was quite proud of himself. He even took the time to write in big letters across my character sheet:

R.I.P.Gooch, eaten by babblers.

THE BASTARD!!!!

spectre72
    • Commoner
    Hal wrote:
    Thanks there! As a GM I always feel a little like killing someones baby when I kill a character.

I come from a background of 1st Edition so I have no problem killing characters, but I prefer to let them do it to themselves. 😆

I don’t try to kill large numbers of characters but I also let the dice show the results and sometimes characters die.

In fact when I started WLD I knew that characters would be put out of commission or die quickly (especially at low level) so each player started with 2 characters. Only one is active in each session and the other is back at “Camp” resting or recovering.

After 3 eight hour sessions each player is down to one character who is not currently resting due to con loss from stirges, disease, or other players killing them.

I have also modified encouters to add some flavor…

Last session the party encountered a fiendish viper swarm by walking into the middle of them when they were not able to spot them. Characters screamed like little girls and ran toward the door while trying to avoid the swarm and not be poisoned. Very entertaining. 😈

I have also substituted the fiendish Stirges in the stirge nest for a fiendish stirge swarm. Last session they skirted around the room while exploring and I kept waiting for them to open the door and encounter them. It will be a tough fight and one that may kill someone, but I can’t wait to describe a flock of a hundred stirges flying out of their nest.

I have always found that the key to a good game is the threat of death tempered by the good judgement of the DM. Make them think they are going to die, incapacitate them, but have them pull through at the end.

In all of my years of gaming (since early 1E days) I have only had 2 TPK, and those were due to incredibly stupid player decisions at Convention games.

Of course this does not include the times I ran a 3E conversion of the Tomb of Horrors at a convention, but I expected all of the characters to die then. 8)

There have been a couple of times since 3E where TPK’s have been close, but I think the power level in 3E has increased to where it is much easier to misjudge encounters.

TTYL

Scott

Wellard
    • Orc

Well the TPK above was way back in 1974 and came in the same session as my most heroic character death ever as my cleric held off an entire orc tribe in a 5′ wide corridor until his party could run away. I got 12 or 13 orcs before they killed me. Mind you those were the days when we had hobbits and Balrogs in the game.

spectre72
    • Commoner
    Wellard wrote:
    Well the TPK above was way back in 1974 and came in the same session as my most heroic character death ever as my cleric held off an entire orc tribe in a 5′ wide corridor until his party could run away. I got 12 or 13 orcs before they killed me. Mind you those were the days when we had hobbits and Balrogs in the game.

I wasn’t making any type of judgement that needs defending.

TPK’s happen to all of us, usually when you are not expecting it.

I was just rambling and showing that I have no problems killing characters, just not all of them at once 😀

When I do have a TPK I try to learn why it happened and adapt future games.

In the 2 TPK’s I mentioned I had one where I was using Yellow musk creapers in a 7th Sea Game and one of the characters decided to sniff the flowers all around the valley. What was supposed to be a archaelogical expedition turned into the characters hunting the others down to keep them from leaving the valley.

The other was a Deadlands game where one of the players found himself in an indian burial ground and contracted smallpox (through magical means). He then went back to the cabin to spread the disease to everyone else.

I can’t possibly give examples of all th times that were close. In fact our last WLD session had one combat there all but 2 members were down and out before they overcame their opponents.

I try to be fair, but character death happens.

Without it there is no danger and I have found people get bored with characters who can wade through everything without getting a scratch…

TTYL

Scott

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube

Hope I didn’t give the impression I was whining. As a PC I have no problem with getting killed. Let the dice fall where they may. And I’ll grant, it’s a lot more fun when PC’s accidentally kill each other. I once played a session with two brothers where one misfired a spell and offed the other. Instead of sympathy, the older brother laughed in his siblings face. It took a couple of minutes to break up the fist fight. (Just a game, you know :wink:)

The grey area for me is when a DM specifically targets certain players for death. Example:

One of my more sucessful characters was an assassin. He was no powerhouse, but he poisoned anything that got near him. The DM grew tired of him. So, he wove an elaborate series of events into the ongoing campaign designed specifically to kill my character at some point over the next three months. This post is long enough, so I’ll spare you all the details, but in brief it went like this.

1. Magic item only I could find. (Boots of levitation.)

2. 2nd magic item only I could reach. (with said boots.)

3. No clues given that a certain number of uses of item 2 would kill my character in a grisly fashion.

4. Lots of encounters where item 2 was the best weapon to save party.

I ended up having to move before my PC actually died (3 uses away!) so the DM let me in on everything after my last night. I had to give him credit for his planning and patience; like I said, this extended over 2 to 3 months of playing. So what do you Rat Bastard DM’s think? Was it “ethical” to specifically target a PC and arrange for his death?

Wellard
    • Orc

Well I’ve never gone as far as actually plan to kill a character but certain players who annoy me do get their unfair share of the damage sometimes.

spectre72
    • Commoner

No…

Being a RBDM is about giving the players the tools to kill their own characters and enjoy themselves while they do it.

I would never target an individual character like that.

A RBDM is the DM who people want to play with knowing that there will be danger and death, but also knowing that they will have fun.

As a DM I will make things deadly and have no issues if someone’s character dies, but the best encounters are those that the characters are able to overcome but they are always wondering if they will.

In my last WLD session the group wandered into the middle of a fiendish viper swarm. They immediately ran for the hills knowing that they were in a bad situation and if they stayed someone would probably die.

It wan’t really a fair encounter, but my philosophy is that sometimes it is ok to run away and there will be things that characters run into that they are not prepared for.

The players had a good time and were scared for their characters lives, but no one died 😮

Maybe next time 🙂

spectre72
    • Commoner

After the current session I have to give you a hand.

Now that is what I have been talking about 😈

And the best part is they did it to themselves and they are enjoying it.

I don’t think I have ever seen anyone as willing to use a Wand of Wonder in my life 😆

Great Stuff.

Keep up the good work.

Scott

Wellard
    • Orc

I’ve said it before and I will say it again the most dangerous thing in D&D has ALWAYS been a halfling with a Wand of Wonder.Thank you Zagyg

riddles
    • Succubus

I am seriously thinking of killing my party if they don’t leave area B!

They got the map from the Bugbears (can’t remember room number, somewhere in the middle) and are systematically going through every blasted room in the area. I may need to send a Dire Wolf pack after them (closest I got to a PK, 2 fighters down to negative hit points before the Sorcerer lightning bolted the remaining dire wolf).

Forget Rat Bastard DMs, how about Rat Bastard players!

Wellard
    • Orc

Sign me up for a t-shirt if you ever get round to it

Salubrai
    • Succubus

A t-shirt would be nice, just a picture of a rat’s head as Hal said, with stencil style font under it reading

“MEMBER: RAT BASTARD GM CLUB”

and maybe each shirt can be personalised with the person’s name in smaller font below that.

So it would be like

MEMBER: RAT BASTARD GM CLUB

#202: Hal

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • The forum ‘World’s Largest Dungeon’ is closed to new topics and replies.