Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter Suggestions Promoting RPGMP3 to the masses

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Thing
    Admin
    • Drider

I don’t think the site is in any trouble but it never hurts to promote (Unless you really annoy people posting promotional stuff where it isn’t allowed).

A lot of sites experience traffic slowdowns from mid november to the new year when peoples attentions urn towards holiday preparations. I know i am a bit more quiet right now as I am working a couple of contracts while I job search.

Sinister-Ornament
    • Gelatinous Cube

Don’t know what this ‘Slashdotting’ is (sounds vaguely illegal), but I thing the poster idea is a good one. The art for World’s Largest Dungeon was excellent, and as this both completed and very long I think this is what you should promote the site with.

If anyone here belongs to other vaguely roleplaying related forums (Rpg.net, Criticalmiss.com) they could add a link to this site in their signature.

Competitions might be worth thinking about, but that would cost money.

Badges are something I’ve always liked the sound of, after finding out by accident that someone I’ve sat in the same class with for a whole year (and never learnt the name of) is a fellow roleplayer just when the class finished and woldn’t be seinge him again.

Other than carrying dice everywhere and OVERTLY playing with them all the time, a badge could equally allow us to recognize each other.

I’m imagining a small (1″ diameter) badge with a striking central image and text above and below (or encircling it).

e.g.;

Dungeon On!

(The image of Feylin with sword raised)

RPGMP3.COM

or

I lost my sanity to Cthulhu and goblins ate my polyhedrals

(The image of a d20 with a chunk bitten out of it)

RPGMP3.COM

Just a thought!

*edited for spelling*

Keener
    • Drider
    Sinister-Ornament wrote:
    Don’t know what this ‘Slashdotting’

Slashdotting is getting a post on Slash Dot a News for Nerds web site.

Sinister-Ornament
    • Gelatinous Cube

Wow! A whole site written in technical jargon. Makes me feel a right dunce.

Another suggestion – customized dice with RPGMP3.com on one of the faces.

riddles
    • Succubus

I think they were slashdotted about 18 months ago? Or perhaps I’ve been eating cheese again… 🙄

Keener
    • Drider

They gopt slash dotted for starting WLD they should get slash dotted again for completing it and start Ptolus (another large one)

Thing
    Admin
    • Drider
    Keener wrote:
    They gopt slash dotted for starting WLD they should get slash dotted again for completing it and start Ptolus (another large one)

Whoa, large one.

Get it?

Cadallin
    • Flumph

I hate that I know this but:

Slashdotting is not getting a news item posted on Slashdot. Its what happens to servers after said posting on slashdot. Hal said in one of the sessions about what happened the first time RPGMP3.com was linked to on Slashdot, “it collapsed the site in about half an hour.” That’s a slashdotting, when a website becomes unavailable because the server has been taken out by the strain of millions of geeks trying to access the site.

Sorry, I’ve been of a horribly pedantic mind lately.

Salubrai
    • Succubus
    Cadallin wrote:
    I hate that I know this but:

Slashdotting is not getting a news item posted on Slashdot. Its what happens to servers after said posting on slashdot. Hal said in one of the sessions about what happened the first time RPGMP3.com was linked to on Slashdot, “it collapsed the site in about half an hour.” That’s a slashdotting, when a website becomes unavailable because the server has been taken out by the strain of millions of geeks trying to access the site.

Sorry, I’ve been of a horribly pedantic mind lately.

Yes, you have. It’s missing the point, as well.

riddles
    • Succubus

And either way it happened about 18 months ago! 😛

swj719
    • Succubus
    Cadallin wrote:

Much like what happens when Penny Arcade puts up a link to any website…

Of course, they call it “wanging the servers”… Different class of folk, I suppose… 🙂

Sinister-Ornament
    • Gelatinous Cube

Thanks for that explination Cadallin it makes sense!

I still think my badge idea is the best way to identify other roleplayers – (other than to tattoo ‘roleplayer’ on your forehead, which is a tad extreme).

All I have to figure out is how to do curved text in Paint Shop Pro 8…

angbandaddict
    • Commoner
    Lindsay wrote:
    I’ve tried pimping the site in a number of ways but apparently, they are not considered legal, and I have been advised to stop

😉

You could easliy promote the site on the Slice of Sci Fi or Micheal and Evo Winging it Podcasts.

They are requesting material for their program or since you and Hal meet certain criteria

you may be able to plug the site on their voicemail show.

Criteria

1 You are English

Most of the hosts have a fetish on foriegn accents.

The moderator of the forums is a patriotic Scot who is still angry at the English. It would

be funny if Balazzar called in to rile the moderator.

2 You are coming to the US

Payola. If you bring them local alcohol or candy they would reall enjoy that. Also British

Sci Fi, Evo only started watching Red Dwarf and has never seen Blake 7.

3 Evo has a big ego. If you said you learned the basics on podcasting from his book

Podcasting for Dummies that might go well.

The main site is http://www.farpointmedia.net They have different shows each with their own addresses to send mp3 files or voicemail.

swj719
    • Succubus
    angbandaddict wrote:
    2 You are coming to the US

Payola. If you bring them local alcohol or candy they would reall enjoy that. Also British

Sci Fi, Evo only started watching Red Dwarf and has never seen Blake 7.

Hey, I haven’t seen it either, and you don’t see ME asking for them to bring me some, do you?

BTW, Hal… So long as you’re coming to the states…. 😉

CrazyMLC
    • Orc

I was going to make a thread but something echoed in my head: ‘IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO POST IN AN EXISTING THREAD THAN TO POST A NEW ONE.

I’ll admit, I post in many other forums.

I’d be glad to have a banner for RPGMP3 in my signature linking to the site if someone made one.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • The forum ‘Suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.