Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter Suggestions Promoting RPGMP3 to the masses

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Salubrai
    • Succubus

It’s been years since RPGMP3’s slashdotting, and while we are faithful listeners, it seems that membership is down a bit, or rather — while the boards are active it tends to be the same people. Not that that’s a problem, but I think there’s no reason there can’t be MORE interest. That’s why I wanted to elicit suggestions on HOW to promote this site individually. What ideas do you all have? Do you have contacts with sites with big readership or listenership that might consider doing a profile? Do you know a good board with related membership that might enjoy this site’s content. I really think that if we all work together a bit, we might be able to promote the HECK out of this site. There’s already a TON of online content, and while a new “slashdotting” might shoot up the bandwidth, I think our minor effort might snag a few good new listeners, a few good new members and hopefully a few more patrons willing to help sponsor the site. So why not? Post suggestions here, and not just that! Go out to your favourite sites and pimp! Know a popular podcast host that’ll profile RPGMP3? Ask him/her! 🙂 Why not, eh?

swj719
    • Succubus

Press gangs… Always been a fan of press gangs…

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I have been thinking about running a recruitment competition for a while now 😀 To see who could recruit the most new and active members but I have never really had time to sit down and figure out a format 😀

I have also been hacking around the idea of knocking together a poster for you lot to print out and take to your local games emporia to draw some attention to the site 😀

It is all good but you are right. It has been a while since the Slashdotting incident. Although we do still get between 2 and 4 new members a day on average a lot of these are lurkers (which is all well and good)

Cheers

Hal :hal:

Boonide
    • Thri-kreen

I actually have been pimping out rpgmp3.

Though everyone I know usually constitutes dungeons and dragons (i.e roleplaying in general) to something that was obscurely referenced in Futurama once or twice.

Can I get a free cookie? >_>

Salubrai
    • Succubus

I think the best idea would be to not only mention it often, but try to think individually of our “maximum exposure” contact and try to pimp it out THERE.

ie: if you know Adam Curry of the Podfinder podcast, tell him about it. 😀

Thing
    Admin
    • Drider

So we are trying to maximise the exposure surface to not only bring in targeted potential subscribers, but we should seek to increase the eyeball count on potential secondary and tertiary marketable segments with a broad spectrum approach thereby generating site traffic in an increasing and sustainable manner.

On it.

Salubrai
    • Succubus
    Thing wrote:
    So we are trying to maximise the exposure surface to not only bring in targeted potential subscribers, but we should seek to increase the eyeball count on potential secondary and tertiary marketable segments with a broad spectrum approach thereby generating site traffic in an increasing and sustainable manner.

On it.

Not only necessarily this, but also aside from voiceless traffic it’d be nice to get a few new posters and possible patrons.

After all, I wasn’t necessarily even part of this site’s “target audience” when I discovered and rediscovered it.

The more eyes on a site, the greater chance for the converts you suggest.

But do you have any ideas? 🙂

Boonide
    • Thri-kreen

Here’s a good idea, don’t pimp out to people I know.

Other than that, I’m guessing good a idea would be to make more ways for people to ‘interact’ with the site. Hal, if I recall correctly did say he’s going to put up a section for all the various art/fanart so I’m happy for that.

greenguy
    • Commoner

I have been wondering why you guys don’t try to get something going with Kenzzer co, the people who put out Knights of the Dinner Table. They have an fairly large audience, most of whom are into rpgs. Maybe take out an add in an issue, or if that is too expensize try and hook up a podcast agreement you run a game of hackmaster, they pimp the website.

Although the poster for your local game store has potential.

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Well, seeing as this is a not-for-profit site, there’s really no benefit in promoting it in ways that’ll COST.

This is all about pimping for free. 😀

Lindsay
    • Succubus

I’ve tried pimping the site in a number of ways but apparently, they are not considered legal, and I have been advised to stop

😉

greenguy
    • Commoner
    Quote:
    I’ve tried pimping the site in a number of ways but apparently, they are not considered legal, and I have been advised to stop

At least you didn’t get onto Fark 😉

And I apologize for using the phrase pimp, I should have used the less suggestable phrase promote. [/quote]

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Pimping is quite a common word here, not to worry.

However, we’re letting the thread drift to jokes and unrelated things.

Might we get back to valid, practical ways to promote the site (that we and others can DO today), and reports of where you might have promoted the site?

swj719
    • Succubus

Doesn’t Paul “run” the Goblin network? Maybe he could have the ‘casters plug a bit?

Or just ask the ‘casters directly?

I’m gonna wander to Fear the Boot’s site some day soon, and you can bet I’ll be pimp this like crazy…

There are comments and jokes there, but I’ll be good, and not speculate over what we might get offered for some members…

Especially Hal, that sexy sexy man…

*runs off*

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Speaking seriously, however, seeing as the danger this move may put the site into – we all as forum readers and fans NEED to promote this site in all areas we can, know and are able to. The site has seen a major falloff in traffic and interest – and to be fair a lot of the people here ARE here because of the slashdotting they had YEARS ago. I myself most likely found my way here due to this.

So if you like this site and want to see it continue, it’s time to do something. I don’t really know many sites but I will put the word out wherever I can. I recommend being creative – finding places that have heavy traffic and POSTING. Make sure to mention the site address as often as possible. Contact friends you know in big sites and get them to feature the site on their page. Don’t give anyone a reason to give up the site. This place is a wonderful community effort that’s resulted in months of fun for dedicated listeners – and it shouldn’t just disappear.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • The forum ‘Suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.