Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter Suggestions Preferences in audio — homebrew or commercial adventure?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Balgin
    • Succubus
    Thing wrote:
    I did have one DM that liked keeping house rules secret until they came into play.

I’ve suffered the opposite: a vindictive Gm who kept making up “on the spot” hosue rules to thwart the players. A typical conversation would go like this:

Gm: So what spells did you learn now that you’re third level?

Me: Oh, Knock and See Invisibility.

Gm: Oh, well I’ve decided that nothing has the power to become invisible in my game world exept for some shapechanging things which doa sort of chameleon thing that’s very similar to invisibility, but isn’t, so nobody’s ever invented a spell to reveal invisible things so you can’t have that spell.

Me: Fine, I’ll have …. instead.

Then a few weeks later when I’d finaly cast the alternative spell the GM would ask what it would do, decide she didn’t want her players doing “thinking stuff” like that which interrupted her railroading and force me to change my character yet again.

There were four of us players and three of us were being picked on by the GM. You can tell that campaign didn’t end well can’t you? we just all played by her stupid rules because the characters we were playing were such fun, and secretly plotted the downfall of her entire gameworld’s evil nazi poster boy homosexual elves that she worshipepd based on some really bad design decisions she’d made.

Yeah, I’m not bitter, honest. Neither are any of the other players (but when she decided to give up roleplaying for a long time to sit in on games of Battletech we all breathed a sigh of relief).

Fox
    • Thri-kreen
    BigJackBrass wrote:
    And TomBedlam, a Supers game? You might be in luck… 😉

A supers game would be awesome. I have a weakness for Supers! A fun Heroes game would rock! 🙂

tomlib
    • Orc

I agree with most of the people here that either a home brew or general market adventure fits the bill.

My one suggestion for a home brew adventure is that you make it available for download via .pdf so that people can read along with the game. I think it makes a great deal of difference to see what is “supposed” to happen and how the GM and players strike out on new avenues.

Tom

Fox
    • Thri-kreen
    tomlib wrote:
    I agree with most of the people here that either a home brew or general market adventure fits the bill.

My one suggestion for a home brew adventure is that you make it available for download via .pdf so that people can read along with the game. I think it makes a great deal of difference to see what is “supposed” to happen and how the GM and players strike out on new avenues.

Heeeey!! That’s a good point! I think that’s a great idea. That’d be really cool to do that for adventures that people come up with and run. And converting it to PDF would be pretty easy to do too!

Qwaz
    • Thri-kreen
    Balgin wrote:
    Qwaz wrote:
    I don’t mean made up as in creating constantly.

Neither did I. I just eman’t that when you’re improvising there’s less to fall back on if the creative juices dry up and need lubricating with a film or a good book or something.

Ah, in that case it appears i owe you an apolergy. The misunderstanding was mine and not yours. Please forgive me. 🙂

kafkonia
    • Orc

Wow, so much feedback!

I’ve been rather nonplussed with the D20 modules I’ve run (to be fair, they were both DCC modules, and my group felt the interaction was lacking) but I had great success adapting the Temple of Existential Evil from Hackmaster to d20. Unfortunately, that group has fallen prey to mat leave. :/ I am DM’ing a pbp game on EnWorld, using the GURPS adventure “A Caravan to Ein Arris” as the basis for a d20 game. But frankly, I’m only using the system because that’s the most common one there.

I’ll be seeing some more of my potential players tomorrow and hopefully get a better idea of who’s interested, and thus what they’re interested in. I know one has expressed interest in Masque of the Red Death; another used to play Vampire, so I know she’s not hopelessly devoted to D20; and the third has only started gaming recently. I’m personally leaning toward MotRD or something GURPS-driven, but I will bow towards my players wishes.

Balgin
    • Succubus

Quick question: what’s a DCC module?

eformo
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Balgin wrote:

Dungeon Crawl Classics.

They are a series of 40+ adventures from Goodman Games and are designed to be just that, a very simple dungeon crawl.

Check this quote from their website:

Dungeon Crawl Classics

website wrote:

“Remember the good old days, when adventures were underground, NPCs were there to be killed, and the finale of every dungeon was the dragon on the 20th level? Those days are back. Dungeon Crawl Classics don’t waste your time with long-winded speeches, weird campaign settings, or NPCs who aren’t meant to be killed. Each adventure is 100% good, solid dungeon crawl, with the monsters you know, the traps you fear, and the secret doors you know are there somewhere.”

They can be found at: http://www.goodman-games.com/DCCpreview.php

-Pete

eformo
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Fox wrote:
    tomlib wrote:

Heeeey!! That’s a good point! I think that’s a great idea. That’d be really cool to do that for adventures that people come up with and run. And converting it to PDF would be pretty easy to do too!

I concur for two reasons.

1) I like to half listen to the audio sometimes. Having the module lets me go check what encounters happened and reduces the pressure to hear every word. (I can be very anal about such things)

2) I like being able to look at what is going on sometimes while the players are still trying to figure it out. An example: During the Banewarrens the party encountered a pit trap with what appeared to be a teleporter. As they were encountering this, I was reading along in the Banewarrens book and having a great time laughing various body parts off – because I knew what was really going on. I’m a control freak, I like to be in the know and I get unhappy if I can’t have my question answered which often none of the party actually asks.

Homebrew or published isn’t important. Whether I can have a copy or not is.

-Pete

kafkonia
    • Orc
    eformo wrote:
    Balgin wrote:

Dungeon Crawl Classics.

They are a series of 40+ adventures from Goodman Games and are designed to be just that, a very simple dungeon crawl.

And that was the problem. After two of those and a brief exploration of the WLD, I’ve decided that my group and I aren’t quite the dungeon crawling hack-and-slashers I thought we were. Seems we like to get to know people before we butcher them. 😛

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘Suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.