Forums Archive Roleplaying Chatter General RPG Stuff Potential RBGM needs help

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube

I’m probably the only person on the boards who hasn’t actually GM’d a game. However, my 14 year old daughter is bugging me to run her through one. Any of you RBGMs out there have any suggestions for a good entry level module for 1 or 2 players (+NPCs of course)? Any edition is fine. Or even non-D&D if there’s a really good one.

Rillietann
    • Bullywug

The adventure in the Eberron Campaign Setting is a good introduction for new players and DM’s alike, plus the adventrues that lead on from it are very good as well.

Ffaern
    • Orc

I’m afraid my advice is sadly out-of-date but I started with, “The Keep on the Borderlands”, Basic D&D; a bit of wilderness and then a classic dungeon adventure. My all-time favourite starter module is, “The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh”, which leads into a fantastic trilogy of 1st Ed. AD&D modules. Both are available as PDF downloads.

Probably of no use but I couldn’t resist the opportunity to reminise.

Rillietann
    • Bullywug

Saltmarsh is completly detailed in Dungeon Masters Guide II, none of the adventures though.

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

All I have to say is i would not suggest starting on 2nd Edition. 3rd is pretty simple as systems go, and 1st works too.

WOTC has some pdf adventures for download. Some of them are pretty good. They’ve got all levels so if you want to skip the boringness of lvl 1-3, they have ones as high as 20.

tomlib
    • Orc
    EegahInc wrote:
    Any of you RBGMs out there have any suggestions for a good entry level module for 1 or 2 players (+NPCs of course)? Any edition is fine. Or even non-D&D if there’s a really good one.

That is really fantastic!! Congratulations on taking the leap into running a game! Get ready for a fantastic challenge, headache, and great reward!

I would suggest downloading one of the free TSR Modules created on their site. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b

I’m looking through mine right now and found a couple that are appropriate for 1st level characters. “A Dark and Stormy Night”, “The Burning Plague”, and “Wreck Ashore”.

Next I would suggest Dungeon Magazine http://paizo.com/dungeon because they have many adventures but you would have to make sure they have one for 1st level characters. Finally, you can simply create your own. Many first level campaigns start with a Guard the Caravan type adventure with a couple of bandit attacks and some intrigue in a small outpost town. You can do it!!

Good luck,

Tom

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. I’ll start looking into these and see which ones I think would hold her interest and give her a good overview of RPGs. Plus, of course, one that I won’t embarass myself with at my first attempt at GMing 😉

I have to say, not having done Pen & Paer since 1E, I’m leaning towards going with what I know. I played some 2E & 3E using OpenRPG, but would have to do a buttload of homework to feel comfortable GMing something under those systems.

Thanks again.

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

Definitely start with what you’re comfortable with. Then once you have your feet under you, you can start branching out. At least you have some experience playing though. My first experience with RPGs was as a GM for a Final Fantasy system I found online. 🙂

spectre72
    • Commoner

The wizards amulet and Crucible of Freya by Necromancer Games.

It details alot of things a new DM needs to remember and was originally written as an introduction to 3E for DM and Player alike.

The second half can be very deadly if the players rush in, but with some thought it can be a very interresting pair of modules.

I also added alot of flavor to the town involved, and there are additional downloads on their website that add to teh adventure.

With everything added you can finish several levels with this alone.

Scott

Wellard
    • Orc

I go with Spectre on this one and would say further that the Necromancer forums are full of really good support(and yes I plug RPGMP3 there as well).But don’t go RB on your family it isn’t worth it

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General RPG Stuff’ is closed to new topics and replies.