Forums Gaming Chat Roleplaying Pathfinder 2.0

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Vaeron
    • Thri-kreen

I have Pathfinder 2e on pre-order, but I’m not sold on it. A podcast I listened to had some ridiculous math involved in the rolls (like 7th level characters getting a few 30’s, etc, or hitting an AC of 24 and still missing) that concern me a bit. Does anyone who has played the playtest some have some thoughts on it? Is anyone else ordering it, or is 5e basically the thing to play now?

Reverse
    • Flumph

We gave up on our playtest, in part because of the math. The numbers are pretty static, so I wouldn’t be worried about 7th level PCs rolling 30s (level bonus is added to things, so they’d have +7 to all their skills without investing in them in any particular way). The actual number is largely meaningless, it’s what it’s compared to.

And what it’s compared to is often high enough to completely dissuade an action. Say you want to disarm a boss – to actually knock the weapon out of his hand, you need a Critical Success (either a Nat 20, or +10 over the DC). And the DC is likely to be such that you can barely succeed anyway, let alone Critically Succeed. We spent a lot of turns just flailing away at enemies looking for Natural 20s.

Vaeron
    • Thri-kreen

I’ve warmed to it quite a bit. The Rulebook is organized terribly, with rules needed to build just one character often hundreds of pages removed in three different sections (not counting spells!) That said, there is some elegance to the +10/-10 crit window. I understand better now why the numbers scale the way they do.

I will experience it for myself Saturday, but little sample combats I’ve run off Fall of Plaguestone encounters have run pretty smoothly. Experience in the lab rarely correlates well to actual play, though!

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Nice – I am interested in the idea of actions. From what I have read so far if you are toe to toe in combat, you could just take 3 Strike actions. This seems quite a large switch up to the action economy of the average first level Fighter assuming I am reading things correctly…

Reverse
    • Flumph

You could take three Strike actions, although the second is a -5 and the third at -10, so your odds of missing all but the first are pretty good.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Very good – just dug that out of the rulebook 🙂 Guess we will need to play it to see how it goes.

I picked up the Plaguestone book. A little disappointed that it was the same price as the standard adventure path books but 20 pages shorter.

Vaeron
    • Thri-kreen

I have come to really like it, but it is definitely of the “lower level threats are trivial, higher are impossible” school of game design with AC/to hit/saves/critical thresholds scaling with level. I’ve just hit level 5 champion in my local game and enjoying it a lot. Looking through 1e APs to adapt and run (I dislike the 2e AP so far, but that’s a whole separate topic).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.