Forums Archive Non RPG Chatter Non Gaming Chat Order of the Stick comic book

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Dragonkin
    • Thri-kreen

With so many Order of the Stick references in WLD, and it being such a good RPG comic, there should be a fair number of OotS readers around here.

As you may know, there was a pre-pre-order of the new book at the start of the year, with shipping expected in March if all went to plan. And as a lot of people who ordered books would know, not all went to plan.

So I wanted to know if any people, especially in the UK region (or Scandinavia, if there are more norsemen around) have received their books yet. I pre-pre-ordered like a good addict^H^H^H^H^H^Hreader, even though I was in student accommodations at the time. After all, expected shipping early March, and I’m not leaving til the end of May.

Didn’t get a notice of shipping until the start of May, but hey – three weeks to go, all should be nifty and shiny, right? Right? ó_ò Right..?

Mmm… nope.

There seems to be rather a big thread about this on the OotS forums already, but I figured I’d ask if anyone around these parts have gotten their book yet… cause I haven’t, despite messages of it being shipped.

Team Cripple want their books, damnit!

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I do not think that this is an isolated problem by any means! I have not heard of ANYONE in Europe receiving a copy, yet it is available off the shelves in American bookshops.

I have not got mine yet and I have a banner to the site promoting the strip that gets some good hits. It is a shame that Rich Burlew has chosen to marginalise some of his audience (ie Europe).

I am pretty sure that if I was to pay $10 for postage for anything else from the States it would arrive much faster than this book seems to be. I suspect that they have managed to strap it to a donkey and it has drowned trying to swim over here.

The strip is great, but the customer service sucks!

I WANT MY BOOK DAMN IT!

Hal :hal:

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

I too also wait. From the uber thread on the OOTS site it seems that some people in Germany have had their books, but at this time no one in the UK.

Unfortunately RB seems to only provide info updates if poked very hard. 🙁

riddles
    • Succubus

Did anyone get a reply from RB after letting him know nothing was rec’d? I’d have thought a standard reply email saying “Have logged your concern” or something wouldn’t be too difficult to automate?

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I managed to get a reply, which was mildly apologetic but generally annoyed.

He stated that it would be (or had been) shipped ASAP. Basically he has no idea what it going on with anything. He has obviously employed a team of monkeys to do this for him.

I may as well pick a book up off the shelves when I visit Texas in September because I doubt it will be here by then!

Hal :hal:

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

I have received no reply and I emailed on two separate occasions following his request.

We keep on waiting, RB should ideally set a deadline for when he believes the deliveries are lost and not just travelling by tortoise.

Alas, wringing your hands doesn’t resolve much. 🙁

I don’t mean to grumble, but six months starts to become a long time. 🙄

I’m going to wait until the end of August before pursuing further.

riddles
    • Succubus

And so, another week goes by…

Nothing on the tOotS forums either.

🙁

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

from the OOTS homepage:

Quote:
    (7/8/05)

…the book will go OFF SALE on July 15th. There’s a couple reasons for this. First, we need to have enough stock to bring to GenCon, and we need to hold some back if we end up needing to reship to anyone. Second, we need to completely overhaul our ordering and shipping process so that screw-ups like these don’t happen next time, and we can’t do that if orders are still trickling in. Third, I’m not going to have time to pack up still more books in late July and August, again due to GenCon preparations. So if you can’t make it to GenCon and you want to be sure to get a book, order before next Friday. I can’t guarantee that there will be any first printing copies left after the convention, but internet orders should return when we’ve gotten a new shipping company and possibly made a second printing.

By the way, I’ve gotten an unconfirmed report of an Australian who has gotten their book. If you are in AUstralia, and you HAVE your book in your hand, email me and tell me ASAP! It will soothe the spirits of your fellow Aussies.

TomBedlam
    • Orc

Well lads, I’m going to Gen Con. If you’re really desperate for a copy I can send it out to you for cost.

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

Thanks for the offer, but I will keep waiting for Rich to see us right!

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

The self-imposed deadline for RB to resolve outstanding issues has now passed (31st August). I have sent him an email of enquiry and stated that I will hold out (yet again, yet again) till the end of Sunday 18th September for resolution. If no resolution is forthcoming, then on 3rd October, 9 months after ordering, I feel I have no further recourse than to begin charge-back proceedings through PayPal, as I could really do with the $70 back at this time.

I have sent RB several courteous emails about this situation over the months, and have yet to receive any reply. Add to that the farcical situation that I could go over to Manchester (an hour away) and pick up both OOTS books right now…

I no longer read OOTS, the whole thing has been soured for me. A great pity. 🙁

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

You should all switch to El Goonish Shive. Great comic. Very very very strange premise, but hey, still awesome. Besides, his book goes through Amazon, so you know it’ll work.

TomBedlam
    • Orc

It’s too bad Rich seemed like a nice guys at Gen Con. He is younger than I imagined maybe he’s in over his head.

I do agree with you Paul, he has let this debacle continue too long. But in his defense he mentioned on his main page that his house was broken into during Gen Con by his landlord so upon his arrival home he had to move immediately causing a loss of internet. Thus he can’t check his e-mail with any regularity.

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

It is an unfortunate situation all round. 🙁

Edit: Though I’m beginning to feel somewhat less sympathetic as he’s just called me a liar in his own forums:

Book Ordering Problems, p. 37

Edit 2: My order situation has now been fully resolved with Rich. I’m done and dusted with OOTS, and even with his accusation against me, I do wish him the best for his future endeavours with OOTS.

Face
    • Gelatinous Cube

I guess “You’re a liar” is pretty similar to “I’m sorry you didn’t get the book you paid for” in that he… Well, he used words.

Probably a step in exactly the right direction.

[edit]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Non Gaming Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.