Forums Archive Non RPG Chatter Miniature Painting Motivation.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Falsecut
    • Commoner

It has been far too long since I last did any painting. In fact the last painting project I completed was a Flames of war army for a local(at the time) gaming store about six months ago which drove the urge to paint from me. The money was pretty good but painting so much green grey and brown really drove me to the edge of despair.

Now I want to do some painting again but I lack the motivation to actually get off my arse and do it. So I have devised a cunning plan

I will post picks of some newly painted figure which I intend to use for my WFRP campaign here within the next month. If I don’t you guys ridicule me until such time as I do.

Waddaya say? Whoes in?

Balgin
    • Succubus

Hmm. I was actualy going to start a “what I’m currently painting” thread which would just be links to various WIP threads on some other forums. That way I’d only post finished pics here instead of cluttering the forum with unfinished work.

Giving yourself a deadline isn’t neccessarily the best way to get painting again. If it works for you thewn that’s great. If not then you might need to work out a reward system or something to bribe yourself to get started, with frequent breaks, and you might find you really enjoy it so much you start rewarding yourself less and ease yourself back into it.

James
    • Gelatinous Cube

This last Saturday I found myself alone. I have a Tau army lying around that I have not finished building/painting since I got the bug about 10 months ago.

So, I grabbed a few of the minis that needed painting and off I went to my local Games Workshop. I figured I would paint them up while soaking in the game geek atmosphere.

Well, a 1750 point Rogue Trader tournament was happening, so I was painting a little, watching a little, and buying a little. I finished painting an entire Fire team. I also purchased another Fire team and a Valkyrie.

I know I can’t use the Valkyrie with my army, but it f$%&ing sweet.

I don’t know if that helps you, but sitting around painting while everyone else is playing is a powerful motivator.

nittanyjohn
    • Orc

I find listening to your favorite RPG gaming-session podcast while painting a good way to keep going…

Edit: My 100th post in 4 years! Woot!

Keener
    • Drider
    nittanyjohn wrote:
    Edit: My 100th post in 4 years! Woot!

Congradulations I guess. 😀

5monkeys
    • Thri-kreen

I don’t really play anything since I seem to have army ADD, and models aren’t cheap, but there’s a long-standing tradition in one of my gaming groups of painting while rping. It helps that most of the group are or have been 40k players.

One advantage of playing with mini gamers is that there’s always stuff around to use as minis in D&D 4e. Also 4e’s modules aren’t really the most cerebrally challenging of fare, so it doesn’t seem to be a big issue to paint and play at the same time.

Painting can be a bit like knitting.

Falsecut
    • Commoner

Cheers for the advise.

I do find it easier to get motivated when I have a deadline. I spent a year or so just doing contract painting which naturally has deadlines in place but also has the monetary factor as a motivator. We moved at the start of this year and my contract work has dried up. Now I’d like to get back to painting for myself but the lack of a deadline makes it a bit hard to get motivated.

In any case, I’m considering the stated “within a month” to be my new deadline and as such I went to the local model shop to investigate the pieces I’d need to convert up a rat catcher. 😀

Falsecut
    • Commoner

I got off my arse today and started painting a dwarf. The picture were taken with my phone so the quality is a bit crappy but i’ll try and get some decent pics when he’s finished.

Dwarf3.jpg

Dwarf2.jpg

Dwarf1.jpg

I’m experimenting with doing non metalic metals, unfortunately the pictures here don’t show it very well. Hopefully next time I’ll be able to use a proper camera.

The parts for the rat catcher are slowly coming together I’m just waiting for my pay to come through so I can pick up some plastic rod and some green stuff to do the “Rats killed” sign and some dead rats, as well as re sculpting the figures nose to show the “big nose” distinguishing feature.

Balgin
    • Succubus
    James wrote:
    This last Saturday I found myself alone. I have a Tau army lying around that I have not finished building/painting since I got the bug about 10 months ago.

The best looking Tau army I’ve ever seen (and it did actualy look very good) was what everyone refererd to as “Neil and his Pink Tau”. They were painted bright pink with all the recessed details in a mid to dark blue. Now he got a lot of jokes about them but they actualy did look quite good (if also a bit silly as well).

Falsecut wrote:
    I got off my arse today and started painting a dwarf. The picture were taken with my phone so the quality is a bit crappy but i’ll try and get some decent pics when he’s finished.

I’ve got that one sitting half painted on my painting table and he’s been in that state for at least half ayear now, and maybe even longer. When I’ve got some new batteries for my camera I’ll take a picture or two so you can see how mmore finished than mine yours already is :).

I don’t like the bare arms thing Games Workshop started doing with their dwarfs recently. If you’re going to be fighting then injuries to your weapon arm would be a pretty big priority to protect against (And you’d want to armour the shietoo to balance it out so you wouldn’t be lopsided).

Falsecut
    • Commoner
    Quote:
    I don’t like the bare arms thing Games Workshop started doing with their dwarfs recently. If you’re going to be fighting then injuries to your weapon arm would be a pretty big priority to protect against (And you’d want to armour the shietoo to balance it out so you wouldn’t be lopsided).

Far enough. From what I can tell the dwarf range is an amalgamation of Saxon and viking styles, and in the period they’re basing it on they were using short sleeved hauberks/byrnies. That said, I don’t think the arms would have been bare and would more likely have had at least some kind of padding on them. Also I like having a bit more flesh on the dwarf models as they do tend to get a little lost in beard otherwise, but hey, tastes vary.

Isis
    • Succubus

*eyes post suspiciously* Spam! Forum of shame!

Georgi
    • Flumph

when i need motivation, i tend to go out and buy a new mini that gets me all excited about mini painting again and then paint one of my older nonpainted mini before i can paint the new one.

Balgin
    • Succubus
    Georgi wrote:
    when i need motivation, i tend to go out and buy a new mini that gets me all excited about mini painting again and then paint one of my older nonpainted mini before i can paint the new one.

Dear Georgi, have you ever used miniatures as stress relief miniatures?

So if you’re painting something challenging you have a few easy/less important miniatures nearby to occassionaly divert to when the pressure builds up. Just keep using the same colour, slap it on, work off the stress, relax, then go back to the mmain one.

It’s especialy useful when painting metal, leather or skin (because you can easily use the same colours on multiple models).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Miniature Painting’ is closed to new topics and replies.