Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ffaern
    • Orc

What does the panel think about level drains?

In our 2nd edition campaign we have reduced the effects except for very high level undead such as Vampires. In general something like a Wraith will only temporarily drain levels, although sometimes for a few months of game time. In a recent big combat with a large amount of Shadows and a high level evil Cleric my Druid was hit with so many STR drains that he could barely stand. Not quite as terrifiying as a real level drain but it effectively took me out of combat for most of the session. For this reason, as a DM, I tend to use this type of undead more than the real level drainers

What do you do? By the book or something less brutal? Speaking as a player and DM I hate level drains, especially at lower (less than 6?) levels. I don’t mind holding them over much more powerful characters but I feel they come in a bit early – one touch and there goes all of that XP.

What do you think?

Slag
    • Commoner

Level drains are no fun and should be used sparingly, but sure whats it hurt? Its just some xp loss, they’ll get it back eventually. That being said I wouldn’t disagree with a cap to how much a character can lose per session/encounter/creature whatever.

Temporary stat loss on the otherhand is awesome. I rememer a session I GMed with 3e shadows, really put a scare into the group.

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

Level drain is messed up. Not only is the penalty that’s temporarily imposed unfair to non-fighter type classes (-1 to hit? -5 hit points?), but the CR of the creature usually fails to take it into account. Especially bad are the incorporeal level drainers which have a huge defensive bonus on top of the level draining. There’s no way a spectre should be CR 7. 🙂

Fin
    • Thri-kreen

Gerout definitely agrees, two rounds to be killed and I had 70 hit points left. Incorporeal b*stards 😥

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

Of course, then you can get into a whole discussion about how the CR system is problematic in d20, and that just doesn’t apply to level drain, but that’s a discussion for another thread.

Cob37
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Ffaern wrote:
    What does the panel think about level drains?

I don’t drain xp at all, I do constitution or strength drains, not permanent, but treated as critical wounds if a save is failed, if the save is made it becomes like a serious wound (I have different wounds severities in my game).

Wellard
    • Orc

I allow an immediate Save to resist the drain.Think its fairer that way

Ffaern
    • Orc
    Wellard wrote:
    I allow an immediate Save to resist the drain.Think its fairer that way

That’s an interesting approach. We might have a try at that. It’s still scary but there’s a bit more of a chance to get away with it. After all the bastard will have done damage anyway. Perhaps we might reduce the monster XP by say, 10 or 20% to make up for it?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General RPG Stuff’ is closed to new topics and replies.