Tagged: ,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Daniel
    • Succubus

71.jpg

Hi there guys, its my birthday coming up surprising both friends and relatives alike in that I’ve manage to survive to reach 27!  That said, the ever wonderful Tess (with help from the off-line gaming team) are buying me the two-army Kings of War starter set from Mantic Games (via elemental games, because damn they’re cheap!).  I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience of Kings of War and might have a comment or two?

Also, I’m curious, is the Warhammer/40k clone business really that big these days?  Taking a look at the ever worsening state of GW’s prices and rules-range — what happened to Epic 40k and Blood Bowl, those games were ace?

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Hi there guys, its my birthday coming up

(Next Tuesday, if anyone’s planning a surprise internet party for him.) 😉

surprising both friends and relatives alike in that I’ve manage to survive to reach a mental age of 12!

Fixed. 😉

I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience of Kings of War and might have a comment or two?

Nope, but here’s a link that might interest you:

Supplemental fan-made rules for a magic system based on cards.

Taking a look at the ever worsening state of GW’s prices and rules-range — what happened to Epic 40k and Blood Bowl, those games were ace?

First they moved them over to their Fanatic product line under Jervis Johnson, IIRC, and then they turned ’em into video games, apparently.

Ordering from http://elementgames.co.uk/?

Please use my referral code DAN987 for awesome bonuses!

So what are these bonuses you’re trying to impress people with? And will they enrich the person ordering, or you? 😛

Daniel
    • Succubus

So what are these bonuses you’re trying to impress people with? And will they enrich the person ordering, or you? 😛

Double loyalty points – and whatever loyalty points they get I get as well — with each point being worth 10p it works out really stonkin good 🙂

Balgin
    • Succubus

Also, I’m curious, is the Warhammer/40k clone business really that big these days?  Taking a look at the ever worsening state of GW’s prices and rules-range — what happened to Epic 40k and Blood Bowl, those games were ace?

Well back around 1992 some new chap called Tom Kirby turned up and performed a hostile takeover. This happened not long before Ian Livingstone left the company to run Eidos while Steve Jackson left to run Lionshead Studios (among other things, they’ve both kept pretty busy and been fairly successful since).

Within a week of becoming executive company chairman Tom Kirby floated the company on the stockmarket so that suddenly, instead of being a private company, Games Workshop now had to appease the shareholders. Within a handful of years the big GWuh had brought in a bunch of accountants to do a survey to work out how they could run the company more effectively (read “cheap”) and, unsurprisingly, the accountants recommended firing all the creative talent because that’s where all the high wages were.

So lots of the creative folks from Games Workshop left to start up companies you might have heard of such as Mantic (run by former GW staff member Ronnie Renton who used to be in charge of GW’s accounts & finances devision). More than a few of the Privateer Press big wigs used to be major GW staff too. Then there’s Rick Priestly doing Hail Caesar (among other things), Allessio Cavatorre doing all manner of stuff, that pretty popular WW2 game’s being done by some GW old hands etc….

Games Workshop basically scrapped anything that wasn’t “the big three” (Warhammer, 40k and Lord of the Rings) because it “wasn’t making enough money”. Then they put their prices up. Every years. Like clockwork. Unfortunately what they did not consider was that the lesser side games they were scrapping were good gateways into the larger games. I would never have got into Warhammer if it had not been for the lieks of Heroquest. One great thing about the various Dungeon Crawler games out there is that they encourage the gm to get hold of a broad range of miniatures for monsters which, in turn, can entice players to get more kinds of stuff. A fantasy battle game where you only own one army is fine. One where you own lots of monsters from different armies for use in roleplaying games and dungeon crawlers gives you more reasons to start looking at figures you own and going “I’d like to have some more of them. Maybe even a new army.”

Games Workshop have been missing a trick there.

Daniel
    • Succubus

Sounds like they’ve been missing a few tricks over the years, checked out their website last night and Tess nearly had to pick me up from off of the floor after seeing an Undead army ‘deal’ rocking in at a mighty £504 pounds – bargain. o_o

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Ah, yes. Long gone are the halcyon days of DIY solutions like Rick Priestley’s deodorant bottle/Hover Tank conversions. 🙁

Daniel
    • Succubus

Ha!  I used to own the White Dwarf that was printed in. 🙂

The first of my Kings of War stuff has started to arrive, but Tess isn’t letting me open them till my birthday (meany).

I don’t suppose anyone knows of any alternative Skaven models?  @[member=”Balgin”] you’re normally quite hot on that sort of thing.

Balgin
    • Succubus

you’re normally quite hot on that sort of thing.

Well Mantic did some space ratmen for their game that’s definitely not Space Hulk. (It blatantly is). They’ve steered well clear for doing fantasy ones ‘though. If you’re looking for alternative ratmen you’re pretty much out of luck. I think Alternative Armies did some around the turn of the century. Either them or someone like Heartbreaker Miniatures (a very short lived company).

Daniel
    • Succubus

Curses and botherations; thanks anyways 🙂

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Don’t worry, Danny – I’ve got you covered. 😉

maces-mouse-family-by-sylvanian-families

Seriously though, if you can get hold of minis with, say, long-faced helmets that could conceivably be covering rat faces, you could easily add some tails with bits of wire and some modelling putty. (GW’s green stuff is, like all their products, a bit pricey, but there’s probably some cheaper alternatives out there.)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.