Forums Archive Non RPG Chatter Miniature Painting Just getting in to the hobby…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    shadowhen
    • Bullywug

Last year I came across an opportunity to acquire a dozen or so Reaper mini’s. They are mostly NPC’s, as I already had a bunch of D&D mini’s and I’ll be damned if my bar maid is going to be a token.

Anyway, I finally got a starter kit last winter and recently got an area ready to actually do some painting. So here I am… I have a history of doing miniature drawings and both of my parents are accomplished painters so I figured this was a natural fit.

I’m just figuring things out, working on dry brushing and washing. I could however really use some more practical advice. The last time I painted I figured out that the quality of my work was directly tied to my patience and how slowly I work.

In other words, I’m pretty green. Any advice would be useful, the more basic the better. Thanks in advance everyone.

Balgin
    • Succubus

What would you like advice on?

Well one thing I would say is wash your brushes. Don’t just wash them when you’re changing colours but if you’re going to stop painting to look at the miniature for a bit, wash your brush. If you’ve dipepd the brush in the same paint pot more than ahandful of times wash it.

Also, what paints are you using? If the pots have lids then take the paint from the lids when you can. You’re less likely to get too much paint on the brush.

If you get paint under the farrel (that metal cover from beneath which the bristles emerge), then wash the brush imediately. Paint trapped beneath the farrel can later leak out and taint other colours (even letting minute bits into other paint pots) so clean the brush immediately to minimise the damage.

If, like me, you don’t have very steady hands, brace your elbows against your sides to steady them.

Hmm, what else can I offer? Well I hope that’s good enough to get you started.

Falsecut
    • Commoner

My advise would be to always water your paints down a little. Take paint from the pots and put it on a palette and mix a little water with it. It will mean you may need to do a few layers but the results will be far smoother.

The other thing would be to use a black undercoat when you are starting out. It will make shading easier.

shadowhen
    • Bullywug

Actually these are the exact types of tips I was looking for. The beginners kit that I am using came with two mini’s about eight different paints, and some white base. I am fairly sure that the paints are also put out by Reaper, as that is the type of mini’s that were included.

This info is helpful because while this kit came along with a walkthrough for each piece, explaining some of the basic techniques, I ultimately do lack some of the basics as far as painting in general is concerned.

If I wanted to make a darker base is it plausible to mix my white base with some black paint?

I think one of the biggest problems I’ve had so far is with some of the fine detailing, and after reading those tips I am begining to suspect I may have had too much paint on the brush… that is something I haven’t been paying much attention too I believe.

Luckily I have multiple mini’s I will be working on before I get to any of the ones I really want to turn out well.

MelkiorWhiteblade
    • Owlbear

Sorry if this is too basic, but maybe it will help someone else out so here goes:

My painting usually leaves much to be desired, but a book I found handy was by Games Workshop called ‘Collecting and Painting Wargames Armies’. Most of painting tips are really good for painting individual pieces as well.

I find a spray undercoat to be easier to use then painting it on. The cans come in black or white. If your going for dark colors then black is best. If your going for bright or light colors, then white is probably better.

If your working on washing, I’ve found inks to be much better than watered down paints too. For example, elf flesh with a flesh ink wash shows much more detail than paint alone.

Dry-brushing will require a dedicated brush too. Even though it will get messed up, still make sure to wash it and take care of it to prevent mixing paint.

Falsecut
    • Commoner

If you’re looking at moving into painting armies for wargaming I’d recommend trying out Magic ink wash. It’s a mixture of floor polish and ink. It’s great for turning very basic paint jobs into quite nice paint jobs, as long as you don’t look too close. There are recipes for it all over the web.

If you just want to work on individual figures then you will be better to focus your attentions on getting smooth transitions between your base colours, your highlights, and your shading. (not wet blending, thats a bit advanced.) This comes back to the thin layers of paint thing. If the paint is nice and thin you won’t get the slight edge between each layer (base and highlight for example) that happen when the paint is too thick.

Otherwise, it really just comes down to that patience and time thing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Miniature Painting’ is closed to new topics and replies.