Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter The Banewarrens “I hate these rules”

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Dragonkin
    • Thri-kreen

I remember hearing it mostly in the context of “this is completely guff” about something not really liked, game mechanics-wise.

Not quite as memorable as “He faffs like a champ”, but I learned a lot of Britishisms during my time in Scotland =)

sad_genius
    • Flumph
    Lindsay wrote:
    FAFF

AND

ARSE!!

I’m with Lindsay on this one.

OMG what have I done?

swj719
    • Succubus
    Dragonkin wrote:
    “He faffs like a champ”

Somehow, I don’t think that means what I think it means…

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen
    MattSheridan wrote:
    I’ve always thought Rolemaster’s insane combat tables sounded like a great thing to base some kind of computer RPG on. As long as machine is doing all the die-rolling and table-consulting for the players, I figure you can get away with all the insane detail you want. But in an actual table-top game, it just sounds like cruel and unusual punishment.

Oh, and thanks for introducing me to a new Britishism. I have definitely not heard of “faff” before.

Actually, the online game Gemstone III is based on the Rolemaster system. 🙂

In tabletop it’s not too bad as long as the players manage the table relavent to their weapons and really important skills. That eliminates a good bit of the overhead inherent in the tables.

Ffaern
    • Orc
    Thing wrote:

I really like the old classic Traveller, but that is more of a reflection on the campaigns I ran in back in the day then the actuall rules system itself.

The beautifully concise Planet and Player profiles in hexadecimal were a triumph of brevity and functionality. I have a very soft spot in my heart for classic Traveller, despite its faults (i.e. trying to get a character to even survive the training backstory).

Ffaern

Ffaern
    • Orc
    Hal wrote:
    Ask and thou shalt receive

The Grand Campaign for Rolemaster

Hal :hal:

Just too busy with Ptolus now, which is just totally amazing. (Hijack thread warning – arrooga arrooga!) I have seen a lot of RPG stuff but this one just trumps the lot. It’s got to be the easiest to use campaign ever published. The cross-referencing alone is fantastic and that’s before even taking into account Monte’s warped imagination. For me this is the best thing since AD&D 2nd Edition Planescape broke the mould.

My 2nd edition group will be playing 3rd next year to play in Ptolus. It is that good!

Ffaern

Ffaern
    • Orc
    Hal wrote:
    It is a very thin book as they have pulled out all the setting and it is being released seperately.

Hal :hal:

Which is crap as far as I’m concerned. Glorantha, even with the bloody Ducks, is it!

Ffaern

Ffaern
    • Orc
    MattSheridan wrote:
    Lindsay wrote:
    Oh the words i could teach you, young padawan…todays word shall be

*guff*

Hey, Americans use that one. Unless maybe you’ve got a different meaning for it. For us, it basically means “bullshit”, and is almost exclusively used in the context of “Don’t give me any guff.”

When I was at school it was polite usage for “fart”.

Ffaern

Lindsay
    • Succubus

When i was young (said in an old persons voice, of course) we said “pop” to mean fart… 😳

N-kun
    • Thri-kreen

we used trump rather unoriginally

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • The forum ‘The Banewarrens’ is closed to new topics and replies.