Forums Archive Non RPG Chatter Non Gaming Chat Hurricane Katrina

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Salubrai
    • Succubus

Here is hoping to all board members (and everyone else) caught up by the hurricane in the US southwest is safe and well. We are all hoping for the best for you.

Face
    • Gelatinous Cube

Certainly I’m safe, being well west of the nasty wetness. Goodwill much appreciated, in any case.

… Do we have any board members around Louisiana or Mississippi? I imagine it’d be difficult to visit the forums if you were, but all the same, here’s hoping you found some luck.

Needless update: It seems they’ve declared martial law in Louisiana to counteract all the looting and such. 🙁 So… Don’t loot. They can and will shoot to kill. [edit]

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

Yeah, look out for the cheap plywood that splinters and kills people.

So, for the next hurricane, don’t buy storm protection plywood from home depot.

Sincerley though, I hope everyone is ok. Keep safe. The US needs all the Nerds it can get.

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube

I’ve got the feeling this is one of those huge things that’s going to reach out and affect a lot of us here in the southern U.S. over the next few days. The family members I knew in New Orleans evacuated safely but I’m told I’ve got some 3rd & 4th cousins I’ve never met who haven’t been heard from yet. My prayers and best hopes for them and all the others.

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

I’ve been discussing this with my wife, friends and coworkers. I am watching this on the news closely and I can’t get my head around it. The devistation and choas are overwhelming. Generators used to power satalite phones and gas up helicopters are being stolen. This morning a semi hauling in emergency medicine and food was held up by looters. The governer has told police to stop rescuing people and just go after looters.

I figure people have been in stagnant oil tainted water with all sorts of waste and refuse for about 2-3 days. How long till they get sick. How many people have risked drinking contaminate water. Disease is next.

Here in Illinois the price of gas jumped up 20-25% over night. The attorney general is investigating everyone from the gas station owner to the supplier to try to get things under control. I’m not complaining. My life is relatively unaffected. I’ll feel the pinch in my wallet, but it’s nothing compared to what the people on the Gulf Coast are going through.

I am in awe. Horrified. I guess there isn’t much to do but donate money and pray. God bless them all.

Enoa4

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

I haven’t read this carefully yet, but it’s fascinating. It’s a blog by someone in New Orleans. Lots of photos.

http://mgno.com/

riddles
    • Succubus
    ENoa4 wrote:
    I haven’t read this carefully yet, but it’s fascinating. It’s a blog by someone in New Orleans. Lots of photos.

http://mgno.com/

Wow. Survivalism in a DataCenter.

What’s frightening about it all seems to be that this was something that was known about, had been prepared for, & still everything is completely f*cked up.

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

This was identified as a problem in the early 1980’s. There is a lot of finger pointing starting, which is irrelevant. The focus needs to be on the solution. Any finger pointing by either political party should be scorned and ignored as irrelevant. Both sides have been in power with ample opporunntiy to fix this.

I can’t wait to read that blog. I haven’t had time to do more than skim it.

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube

I checked out the blog and the webcam photos. It’s pretty serious stuff. The last, I mean the absolute last, thing any of these people need right now is the rest of the country wasting time with political grandstanding.

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

I have family in Northern Mississippi and thankfully the damage there was minor, but it truly is an awful thing. I’m old enough to remember the San Francisco quake that killed a bunch of people and this is a far worse natural disaster. Every once in a while, nature proves to us that we’re not as big as we think we are.

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

It makes you wonder why people are living there at all.

errand
    • Gelatinous Cube

everywhere has something that can go wrong. I live in an area that is prone to earthquakes. Others live in tornado alley. I would be hard pressed to find an area that isn’t subject to some type of natural disasters.

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

Well, if truth be told, New Orleans wasn’t always below sea level. As I have heard it explained, the problem was that the city was built on ground that wasn’t quite stable. As the city grew and drainage projects worked on clearing more land, the land began to settle, eventually ending up below sea level. One story I read (I’ve been reading a lot over the last few days and I really should stop) said that the city continues to sink at the rate of 1/3 of an inch a year.

Salubrai
    • Succubus

It’s shocking and revolting that any political party of any stripe would use something like this to make political capitol. I just cannot understand a mind that thinks “well, lots of people have died and lost their homes due to a natural disaster that has been doing the same thing for millions of years – how can I use this to get myself re-elected”.

Until we build orbiting weather stations, I don’t think you can blame someone for the weather. I’m certain the police did everything they could to convince people of the danger. The people left in New Orleans were there by choice. And yet, they are still being rescued.

Politicians making hay of it, and people taking advantage of chaos to STEAL… I just cannot get into the minds of such people.

Face
    • Gelatinous Cube

I don’t know what politics exactly you’re referring to, Shathis, but I’m interested in hearing details.

Certainly I agree that there is a lot of wisdom in waiting until this madness has been stabilized and thoroughly examined before we start yelling at people, but the administration is going to have a number of interesting questions to answer when it’s done. Among them will almost certainly be questions regarding levee and other emergency preparation funding.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • The forum ‘Non Gaming Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.