Forums Non-Gaming Chat Non-Gaming Discussion How do you take your RPGMP3?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

I’m actually curious. Hal, Thing Lord of Coding; would it be possible to have something on the site track what audio each account has downloaded and display this on their account? Through that then have some kind of acheesement system? […] It could also have the knock-on effect of encouraging those who care to visit the site directly instead of consuming purely through the feed.

So… In order to encourage people to visit the forums more, give them a reward that’s only valuable to people who hang out on the forums a lot? That… actually makes a lot of sense. 🙂

Valid counters. Was just something that just popped into my head while reading this thread. 🙂

If the download-cheevo system has thus been smothered in its infancy, does that mean there’s nothing to stop us from decorating ourselves with bushels and bushels of made-up fake-dallions and ImaginAchievements? 🙂

• Look Mum, No Pants! Listen to one (1) episode of the Pants Campers/Pants Gamers/Gate Happy Camp Slappers/whatevs.
    • All My Pants Are Belong To Oxfam Listen to 15 episodes of the Pants Campers.
    • Eeeeeeeeemo Bandit Listen to every episode of Tropis.
    • I Enjoy Listening To Other People Roleplaying – In Bed Listen to 15 episodes of Jade Regent.
    • Time To Pause For Food Hour Listen to 15 episodes of OOTAK.
    • Tits! Felch! Nork Hammock! Listen to 15 episodes of Whartson Hall.
    • Damn You, Swidge! _angry__by_CookiemagiK.gif Send a kazoo to @[member=”ross”] (gold plating optional).
    Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Some statistics that might interest people, and seem to fit the topic:

From the 2012 RPG podcast listener survey results:

rr5udg.png

From the 2013 RPG podcast listener survey results:

24y4ao1.png

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I think we differ a little from a standard podcast – we tend to be a little bit longer than the average so I wonder if those figures hold true for our stuff…

Hal :hal:

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

I think we differ a little from a standard podcast – we tend to be a little bit longer than the average so I wonder if those figures hold true for our stuff…

Going back and looking at people’s responses in this thread, we’ve got a sample size of 16 people. (Not including Hal, who – by his own admission – doesn’t listen.) :O

• Aethyr: Mostly listens on his commute to and from work.
    • AndrewRJ: Listen on the commute, or while doing a lot of data logging that is tedious. Not at home (has two kids).
    • BigJackBrass: While at work.
    • bodhranist: While doing housework (at home).
    • Dr_Jomster: On the train to and from work.
    • Haxxx: While playing Minecraft at home.
    • kendoyle659: Whilst doing housework or walking places.
    • LightPagoda: At work, also the ride home if it is a particularly good episode.
    • Lockhart: While doing chores (let’s call it “at home”), or on his pilgrimages back to Yorkton and the return journey (commute).
    • MrGunpowder: At work.
    • Pencil-Monkey: At work and at home.
    • PrestoJeff: At work, while commuting, at the gym, and while doing chores at home.
    • Slartibartfast: When walking outside or doing chores at home. Not while commuting or at work.
    • thad: Usually I listen to shows first thing on the weekends in bed.
    • Thing: At work.
    • Tulty: Definitely an on-the-move listener. Also while at work (in a library).

So far, it matches the main three results from the surveys: at home, at work or while commuting. If we count people in all three categories (i.e. some listen in all three situations, some in only one or two), that gives us:

Commute: 7
    Home: 8
    Work: 8

There’s also the fourth category, which is much less popular: 😉

Exercising: 2 (Several other people could probably count their commute as exercise, when they’re cycling, walking etc.)

Overall, it looks quite similar to the distribution in the pie charts above. 🙂

Sênstaku
    • Bullywug

I listen during my commute and at work as well; But I’m not going to go back through EVERY show ever, sorry (That would take FOREVER) – I’m caught up on Phandelver, currently listening to Highmarch and Mage, and will go back and listen to campaigns one by one as I finish others – and each time have to re-figure out who I’m listening to because none of you introduce yourselves! 😛

Aethyr
    • Thri-kreen

I have actually switched to listening at work due to audio quality on some of the older stuff I am going through. As long as i don’t listen after lunch (when I get a tad sleepy) I am able to follow along well enough. And I have Senstaku’s problem as well, trying to figure out who is who. For a while I thought Lyndsay was in Warlords of the Accordlands.

insert witticism here

Lucky_Strike
    • Orc

To add to the sample population I am also primarily a work and commute listener.

The other key part is business travel which is a blend. I’ll listen in hotels preferentially to the TV. Also on a hour and a half plane flight many of the sessions are timed well.

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

I listen during my commute and at work as well; But I’m not going to go back through EVERY show ever, sorry (That would take FOREVER)

a1e.png

I’m caught up on Phandelver, currently listening to Highmarch and Mage, and will go back and listen to campaigns one by one as I finish others – and each time have to re-figure out who I’m listening to because none of you introduce yourselves! 😛

That is a very good point. Some of the discussion threads featured a list of players and what characters they were playing, but a lot of them were lost in the site renovation, and are currently languishing in the depths of the archive.

However, it would be much better to have the players introduce themselves at the start of the episodes themselves (or at least at the start of a campaign), to make it easier for the listeners to connect faces with voices.

And I have Senstaku’s problem as well, trying to figure out who is who. For a while I thought Lyndsay was in Warlords of the Accordlands.

Hmm, maybe we could get the groups to make a short introductory audio snippet, where the players introduce themselves by name? Or just grab some sound bites from the published recordings, paste them together, and then put them somewhere on the site where new listeners can find them? Do you think that would help?

Sênstaku
    • Bullywug

The easiest solution would be to have the groups start each recording with “Hello listeners, welcome back to (Campaign). I’m (GM), and my players are-” “(Player 1) playing (Character)” “(Player 2) playing (Character)” etc. etc.

This also helps get the campaign started, gives the group a jump-off point to get back into the game when they find they’re stuck in a side conversation. Or to draw attention away from Nick shoving things up his nose.

It’s similar to what I do on my stream; Whenever I open my stream I always assume whoever is watching is watching for the first time, so I introduce myself, my co-host if I have one for the day, and what I’m playing and what happened last time.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Point taken 🙂

I shall try this with the players this evening and see if they can ruin it 😀

Hal :hal:

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

Formal, set introductions quickly went by the board with Whartson Hall, an effect of our attempt to record as natural a gaming session as possible. With the Aethernauts I do try to refer to players by name during the sessions, as well as using their character names; and of course everyone is listed in the extremely thorough notes in the forum 🙂

[anonymous]
    • Thri-kreen

@[member=”Sênstaku”] Will, the GM of Settlers, has had us doing this each session, and I’ve been telling him there’s no need! Boy, do I feel sheepish.

Sênstaku
    • Bullywug

@[member=”Tulty”] – It’s super helpful for those of us who are either new to listening to a particular series of campaigns, or are jumping around from campaign to campaign. Most people I know that listen to actual plays appreciate it when people do the whole “this is who we are.” bit.

Thing
    Admin
    • Drider

How do I take my RPGMP3P

Aurally , as prescribed by my physician 

[anonymous]
    • Thri-kreen

There you are then, @[member=”Genericshampoo”], you should keep right on doing that! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.