Forums Non-Gaming Chat Non-Gaming Discussion How do you take your RPGMP3?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Usually I listen to shows first thing on the weekends as I lay in bed… but with the recent BAG glut, I loaded them onto my iPod and take them with me. It gets odd having “Bye!…. Hello!”

You should try using the ‘shuffle’ function, so you get a random session each time. It’s like a nice surprise, a present for your ear holes! 🙂

thad
    • Thri-kreen

You should try using the ‘shuffle’ function, so you get a random session each time. It’s like a nice surprise, a present for your ear holes! 🙂

That will make following the plot line rather difficult… (such as they have one).

bodhranist
    • Orc

While I was employed, I’d listen at work, as it was a manufacturing gig, and I didn’t often need to hear what was going on around me. Now, I’m going back to school for a year, and I listen while doing housework, so I listen a lot less.

Still, I’ve probably listened to most of the site audio, though certainly not all of it. Everything Hal’s run, most of the Yorkton stuff, most of the BAG stuff (all of Accordlands), I think eveything by Whartson Hall, most of the Strand, some of Thistledown, some of OotAK, all of LED up through the point where there was a long hiatus… There are some gaps, which I’ll be trying to fill in eventually as time permits.

AndrewRJ
    • Flumph

I wonder how many people have actually listened to all or most of the site audio…

I need to get back into the habit of listening to more audio either at work or on my commute.

Hal :hal:

Lets just say that once my finances stabilize a bit more I probably owe you enough money to take you an Lindsey out for a nice dinner. (at least become a patron if nothing else)

[anonymous]
    • Thri-kreen

I’m definitely an on-the-move listener. I used to listen to WLD on the bus to school, and when I went for runs. Nowadays if I can work up the motivation to walk to Drama School, it’s usually because there’s a podcast to listen to. It’s REALLY a lifesaver when I’m working, however, as I work in a library, and it can get really mind-numbing without something to distract the brain. 

I think the only audio I’ve listened to all the way through is WLD, Tomb of Haggemoth and Carrion Crown. I’m currently getting back into Mountains of Madness. however. ^_^

Thing
    Admin
    • Drider

I do a lot of listening at work, since I sit in front of a computer most of the day, and I need something to distract parts of my brain so I can focus on my work

Dungnmaster001
    • Orc

I’ve listened to all of WLD, Rolemaster, the 4e stuff by Hal, Kingmaker by Strand, and all of Shattered Star. And bits and pieces of most other stuff but recently I’ve stopped listening to games run in systems that I haven’t played before (or yet) because I’m very rules oriented and trying to keep rules straight for multiple systems is hard without first hand experience. I think Rolemaster was the only time I managed to listen to a system I’d never played before and stick with it all the way. Which is a testament to it’s awesomeness I think 😉

Dr_Jomster
    • Orc

I really liked the build up in Mountains of Madness. Great stuff! 🙂

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

I’ve listened to all of WLD, Rolemaster, the 4e stuff by Hal, Kingmaker by Strand, and all of Shattered Star. And bits and pieces of most other stuff but recently I’ve stopped listening to games run in systems that I haven’t played before (or yet) because I’m very rules oriented and trying to keep rules straight for multiple systems is hard without first hand experience. I think Rolemaster was the only time I managed to listen to a system I’d never played before and stick with it all the way. Which is a testament to it’s awesomeness I think 😉

Have you tried listening to any of the Yorkton Gamers’ audio? They’ve got a wide selection of Pathfinder games. Oh, and the BAGgies played through Warlords & Accordions, which was D&D 3.5, IIRC. There should be enough sessions of WotA to keep anyone busy for a little while. 😉

Daniel
    • Succubus

I’m actually curious.  Hal, Thing Lord of Coding; would it be possible to have something on the site track what audio each account has downloaded and display this on their account?  Through that then have some kind of acheesement system?

e.g.

A Case of Shifting Grammatical Quality Listen to all episodes of the Worlds Largest Dungeon.

A Last Strand of Sanity Listen to 15 episodes from the Strand Gamers

Expecto Patronum Become a Patron for a year.

It could also have the knock-on effect of encouraging those who care to visit the site directly instead of consuming purely through the feed.

Thing
    Admin
    • Drider

Possible if all downloads are via the site links and not iTunes, etc.

The coding for tracking that kind of thing might be a little tricky to get the matrix of all the various media files mapped to achievements in a sustainable way

PrestoJeff
    • Thri-kreen

Seems like it would be trivially easy to “download everything” and get every “achievement”. That wouldn’t help the site’s bandwidth either.

Dungnmaster001
    • Orc

Have you tried listening to any of the Yorkton Gamers’ audio? They’ve got a wide selection of Pathfinder games. Oh, and the BAGgies played through Warlords & Accordions, which was D&D 3.5, IIRC. There should be enough sessions of WotA to keep anyone busy for a little while. 😉

Yorkton’s on my list to check out when I have time. Warlords I’ve started it a few times but just couldn’t stay with it long enough to get hooked. I think it starts off kind of slow and gets better further in but I never got far enough in for that. I’ll probably give it another try at some point. Though at the rate I go with audio these days it would likely take several years to get through all of it heh.

Daniel
    • Succubus

Valid counters.  Was just something that just popped into my head while reading this thread. 🙂

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Yorkton’s on my list to check out when I have time.

Try their InSpectres games, they’re self-contained sessions and give you a very good idea of how much fun the Yorkies are having (and how much fun it is to listen to them). 🙂

The Team America: Ghost Police (ep. 1 and ep. 2) sessions give you an introduction to Mike, Kurtis and the other guys from (IIRC) the Wednesday Night Group, whereas the Terranomicon Halloween Special features Aimee, Brad and Brian (Friday Night Group?), who also appear in such timeless classics as the Jade Regent series, the outstanding YGG Tomb of Haggemoth Patron Exclusive, the short-lived Citadel of Pain game, etc.

Warlords I’ve started it a few times but just couldn’t stay with it long enough to get hooked. I think it starts off kind of slow and gets better further in but I never got far enough in for that. I’ll probably give it another try at some point. Though at the rate I go with audio these days it would likely take several years to get through all of it heh.

Fair warning, it also tends to slow down quite a bit towards the end, when all the characters are close to EPIC level, with the accompanying EPIC combats, i.e. hour-long micromanaging sessions, where the GM and the players take turn flipping through piles of source books and character sheet addenda to find the obscure spell/ability/whatzit that they want to use, only to find out that the current edition of the rules doesn’t support that plug-in, so they have to find another and *BLEUGH*. 😛

Other than that, it’s great! (Psst… You could start listening with one of the later episodes, and skip the slow intro for later, if you don’t mind a teensy-tiny bit of spoilers. Nobody would ever have to know…) 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.