Forums Archive Non RPG Chatter Non Gaming Chat Hal and Rita

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

Hello,

Correct me if I am wrong, but Hal is in Huston, TX at the moment. Hurricane Rita intensified to a category 4 hurricane today with the possiblity of reaching cat five when it hits land. It’s projected to hit between Galveston, TX and Huston, TX although these things are unpredictable. Galveson is being evacuated now. I haven’t heard if people are being asked to leave Huston.

How does this impact Hal? I assume Lindsey is there to, although it wasn’t stated in any posts I read. Will they be gone by Saturday, or treking across the states in search of dry ground?

Just curious.

ENoa4

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

Man, if god delays session 26, I’ll be really sad.

Seriously though, Be safe. Don’t go outside if you don’t have to.

riddles
    • Succubus
    mchvlichldprdgy wrote:
    Man, iif god delays session 26, I’ll be really sad.

Seriously though, Be safe. Don’t go outside if you don’t have to.

Session 26 is safe with Paul in the UK. Although after his spectacular Cat and Bag moment in his podcast, safe may not be quite the word on my lips… 😕

But I’m sure Hal and Lindsay be keeping themselves safe. After all, they ARE British! ❗

Hopefully also Face, though I’m not sure what bit of the state he’s in…

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

I think if they must flee for cover they should go to MO and join in the RTTE or World of Skell for a session. It can be a crossover, Feylin can be temporarily transported into an alternate campaign by the wand of wonder.

Lindsay
    • Succubus

We are indeed in Houston, about 50 miles from Galveston.

We are just outside the evacuation area so are battoning down the hatches and staying put. The house we are staying in has plenty of internal rooms with no windows, and we have pleanty of food and water.

It is a little scary, but there is very little we can do about it, so just making the best of it.

I really hope it doesnt do as much damage as Katrina, although the area we are in seems capable and ready to handle it, and the people in charge seem to be more ahead of the game.

Thanks for the concern, will keep you all posted.

(and as if i would let hal go anywhere on his own, he couldnt cope!!)

🙂

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

Have fun. Is this your first Hurricane?

Anyway, your are should be ok. The coast of texas has never caught anything truly devastating except for galveston. Try to cover the cars/get them inside a garage and make sure none of the pets are outside and any pet doors you have are blocked.

weeeeee, hurricane prep. Good luck and safe travel.

(ps. keep an eye on Hal. He seems the type to want to play in the rain. Bad idea, I know 😳 )

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

I grew up on Long Island in New York. I had the misfortune of experiencing Hurricane Gloria. Normally Hurricane’s don’t get up that far north, and I have no recolleciton as to the strenght, but it didn’t seem that bad. The storm went right up along the east coast, straight over Long Island and then inland. I was 13 I think. It was windy. Tree limbs were down, power was out. Wet and windy.

Lindsey and Hal. Please take care. Lindsey I am glad you are with Hal, someone needs to keep and eye on him. 🙂

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

Gloria was a category 2 when it hit long island. I don’t remember which hurricane it was, but it caught my family on vacation in Ocracoke at category 4. That was one nasty sunabish. It brought down power lines and the storm surge flooded the island, though all the buildings are raised. The eyewall hit bringin down a billboard, but the damage wasn’t that bad overall. So, don’t worry Hal +Lindsay, if a category 4 left a glorified sandbar like ocracoke without any casuallties, then you’ll be fine, if a little damp for the next few days.

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

Well Rita is officially a cat 5 now and is supposedly on track to be the worst storm ever to hit the US mainland. Time to fill up the gas tank, if hits where it’s supposed to the rest of the gulf coast refineries will go out of commission.

UGH!

Face
    • Gelatinous Cube

As the man says, though Rita is scheduled to encounter a lot less warm water in the next couple days (more specifically, a thin warm layer over a ton of cool water), so at least it’s not likely to get much worse.

Thanks Riddles, I’m in a pretty safe spot well inland of the coast (San Antonio). We’ll see 40-50 mph winds at most, and some rain. Galveston, on the other hand, is being systematically evacuated.

Happily the storm is not expected to strike Houston directly, though even at best it’ll probably be pretty rough. Good luck to you two and your folks; it sounds like you’ve chosen a pretty safe building to shack up in. 🙂

… Hope your power comes back up quick-like.

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

Well shite. Yeah, best of wishes to you too face. Best of wishes to everyone down there. Pass em around.

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Shouldn’t be anywhere near as bad as Katrina, only for the fact that none of the land they’re in is below sea level or a flooding hazard. I’d worry a bit more for Galveston since these things tend to die pretty quickly when they hit land. Talk about your roleplayer’s luck though… go on vacation, a hurricane shows up! Stay inside and take care, and away from windows.

errand
    • Gelatinous Cube

And I hope your folks are ok too.

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear
    Shathis wrote:
    Talk about your roleplayer’s luck though… go on vacation, a hurricane shows up! Stay inside and take care, and away from windows.

Yes, you rolled a crit failure on your “Vacation” Skill roll, kinda like my crit failure on an intelligence check where I mistook a Mind Flayer for a griffin. Yep.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Hey folks,

Rita is now up to a Category 5 hurricane so that should be good. As Lindsay said we are about 50 miles from landfall so hopefully by the time it gets here it should have lost a little puff. We have plenty of yummy snacks and drinkies to keep us going and I will try to resist the urge to get outside and play with it, though if you are really lucky Lindsay does have her camera and might take a snap or two for the site.

Suffice it to say it has been a rather frantic day or so and we are expecting it to landfall somewhere on Friday night or early Saturday morning.

However, hurricanes are not enough to keep RPGMP3 from releasing its essential audio to the massess and Session 26 is now live on the site 😉 I have just managed to get access back thanks to Paul and have released it this very minute 😉

Session 26 Part 1

Session 26 Part 2

Enjoy it and hopefully there will be more to follow! Lindsay and I will keep you all updated but we are likely to lose power for a while when Rita finally lands. Rita is such an old lady name. Wonder if she will have a blue rinse 😉

Hal :hal:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • The forum ‘Non Gaming Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.