Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    tomlib
    • Orc

In the Factions of Arunia thread this question was posed:

Quote:
    Do any of you DM standing up? I find it easier.

I thought I would start a new thread on the idea of GMing and any thoughts on the subject.

I used to sit down but standing seems much better to me now. I get a much better view of the board and can place miniatures more easily. It also is somewhat of a “commanding” position.

Does anyone else have GMing tips or tricks?

Tom

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

Depends on what I’m doing. During a combat I’ll frequently stand, just to look over the screen if we’re using minis. If we’re not using minis (which is how we do smaller combats), then I’ll just stay seated.

I highly reccomend WotC’s new Eberron DM screen. They went to “long-ways” screen format so that it’s a bit longer and a little over half the height. Makes it easier to see over, but still hides those important rolls you need to fudge.

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

Yeah, I DM standing up, especially when speaking the story points or doing important exposition or such. I sit down during player discussions and respond with minimal information when they ask me something. As for fudging rolls, I roll some rolls using a spinwheel I made, mounted inside a little cup which I hold in my hands most of the time. Its completley silent, and the players don’t know when I’m rolling most of the time. In combat, however, I roll in the open. The wheel is for spot vs hides and such. I roll those for my characters.

Ooh, and another tip. Let your players roll their treasure, you know on the random treasure tables. Let them do the entire volunteering thing for who rolls, then roll up the items. For plot treasure, like a special intelligent sword, you can just add those on to the end of the rolled stuff, or subract one thing. I really gives the players alot of fun.

tomlib
    • Orc

I noted that Cob mentioned in the Factions Thread that he stands as well. It seems to be a trend. The funny thing is that what started me was recording the sessions. The screen blocked my voice pretty effectively so standing helped.

I might have to get that Eberron screen that is wider but not as tall. It sounds like a good idea to me. I’ve got so much junk behind the screen I can’t hide it all.

The idea of rolling the dice in the open for non-secret situations is a good idea as well. It gives the players no illusions that you will save them in certain situations. I usually don’t do this because our table is quite long and with all the food on it they can’t see anyway. But I don’t fudge dice rolls. Let the chips fall where they may.

I wonder if someone could invent a voice activated Dice Roller. You know, shout out D20 and it shouts back 17! But, my players love rolling the dice. Sometimes I think they enjoy that more than the game itself, sigh.

Tom

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

yeah, I don’t use the screen stuff. I just set all that stuff down on my chair and then shift it as I need it.

Face
    • Gelatinous Cube
    tomlib wrote:
    I wonder if someone could invent a voice activated Dice Roller. You know, shout out D20 and it shouts back 17!

Tom, that’s a damned good idea. I think people would buy it, even if just for the novelty factor.

You could make money, sir.

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

“Voicebot! Roll d20 NOW!”

“Result is 17.567893452344323434 b*tch”

Uppity computers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General RPG Stuff’ is closed to new topics and replies.