Forums Non-Gaming Chat Fun Stuff For The Love Of Pugs

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

tumblr_nojxez6rX21rd72ulo3_540.jpg

Source.

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Pugs.

tumblr_njjlnoJkx61tn0m8vo2_500.gif
    tumblr_njjlnoJkx61tn0m8vo3_250.giftumblr_njjlnoJkx61tn0m8vo1_250.gif

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

tumblr_nmt0kjUyM71upwzm1o1_540.jpg

Thing
    Admin
    • Drider

Cerberus is a bit disturbing as a pug

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

tumblr_nrd24cfKeH1qgthdfo4_500.jpgtumblr_nrd24cfKeH1qgthdfo6_500.jpg
    tumblr_nrd24cfKeH1qgthdfo10_500.jpgtumblr_inline_nrd22wkMGK1qfxb0n_500.jpg
    tumblr_inline_npflo0ONPw1t71arc_500.gif

A-pug-alypse.

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

These are called Retro Mops (website here), and they’re pugs bred specifically to be longer-legged, leaner, with smaller eyes, longer muzzles, and more open nostrils. And while the project is still a work in progress, it’s heading in the right direction.

tumblr_inline_noz34bvnaw1t2avfv_540.png

This new breed type started in Germany, and developed from the selective breeding of purebred pugs with longer muzzles and a longer legged frame.

From the website:

“We want to prove that a pug does not have to be short of breath and phlegmatic, but a very sporty and docile family and companion dog”

This should be the goal of EVERY pug breeder and owner, to have a healthy dog that doesn’t struggle to breathe and walk.

I’m sure you’re a pug or bulldog lover, which is why you’re so eager to defend them, but you’re not helping these dogs out by ignoring the problems in the breed. This is not a “little problem”, it’s a HUGE issue that’s killing dogs, and it’s prefectly preventable if pugs were outcrossed to have longer muzzles and wider nostrils.

Just look at the difference and tell me you’re not horrified:

tumblr_inline_noz3rzhG3p1t2avfv_540.png

As long as people stay blind to these issues, nothing will change. Which is why I’m saying this here so at least some people will see that there IS an alternative, and that wheezing pugs and bulldogs are not cute. When the public realizes the difference, the demand for these mutants will stop and more healthy, longer-lived alternatives will replace them.

But it starts with someone talking about them, and not just thinking there’s nothing to be done. Although if there were a time machine at my disposal you bet I’d use to pinch the nostrils of the original Victorian breeders and see how they like it.

[…]

As a veterinary technician, the amount of brachycephalic breeds that I see come in due to respiratory distress or proptosis (their eye has popped out), the fact that people still breed for these traits disgusts me. Maybe those people who think that these characteristics are worth breeding for just haven’t had the “pleasure” of seeing the fear in the eyes of a dying dog as it gasps for air. It was a terrible experience for me, I can only imagine how terrifying it must be for these poor animals.

And just to cheer up all the pug-lovers on the site after that, here’s a pug in a flower collar:

tumblr_nsukdnwcJZ1s4v2w5o1_540.jpg

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

tumblr_inline_nvgo1mDSUQ1t46ko8_500.gif

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

tumblr_nw5ojmLwBf1s1m123o1_500.png

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.