Forums Archive Roleplaying Chatter General RPG Stuff Evil Characters

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

Well, tomorrow night I’ll be playing my first evil (by alignment) character. Usually I’m against it, but the adventure we’re playing as a one-off is specifically designed for Drow, so we get to exercise our RP muscles a bit.

The focal point of our group is my girlfriend’s character, a Chaotic Neutral Cleric of Lolth. The other two characters are her bodyguards/servants. I’m playing a Lawful Evil Rogue/Assassin and a friend of mine is playing a Something Evil Fighter.

In a way, I’m kind of excited. I’ve actually managed to come up with a justification for my assassin choosing his profession and I think I’m going to enjoy cutting loose for just one night. Wouldn’t want to make a habit of it though. The justification, just for the curious, is “This society is going to be stabbing me in the back and having me stab others in the back just as it is. Might as well make some money off the way society works.”

So, have you ever had evil characters in a party or done a party of evil characters? Even one-shot adventures count. 🙂

riddles
    • Succubus

Not played too many of them as by inclination I tend to play “goody-two-Shoes” characters.

Probably the most memorable was a Malkavian Doctor in Vampire who revelled in his condition. He was… rather unpleasant… 😈

Alignment seems to be be off anyway in 3rd edition. It used to be if you played a character who was selfish & just out for him/herself, that was Neutral Evil, these days it seems to be just neutral…

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

I DMed one campaign where the characters were evil. It was incredibly challenging. The players had fun but I was scrambling like mad. Instead of going on nice little quests and adventures I had devised. They were thugs and theives. Looting towns, murdering guards and running from the law.

Eventually I HAD to get them on some sort of structured adventure, each session was a mad improvisation as they did everything I had never prepared for. I think I had a wizard place a geas on them and force them to do some task. Probably not severe enough to get me in the Rat bastard DM club, but the players were unhappy about it.

The campaign was short lived but memorable.

I haven’t done it since and ususally don’t allow evil characters. I don’t like telling those stories (writing those adventures) and my players never had a problem with that. Most seem to be the heroic type anyway.

ENoa4

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

Yeah, the pillaging, murdering, evil-for-its-own-sake kind of evil seems to be kind of pointless. The politics and back and forth of drow society is interesting, but I don’t think it’s something I’d want to do long term.

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube

I may have mentioned in another thread that one of my more successful characters was a neutral evil Assassin. I couldn’t go for the “just plain evil” routine.

I concocted a backstory revolving around his skills in alchemy and herbalism, which he apprenticed in early in life. Eventually he was approached by a local merchant to concoct poison to use on one of the merchant’s rivals. After a few of these type jobs, he became fascinated with the idea of administering the poison himself. Kind of like in the movie “Gross Pointe Blank”, the job sort of found him and he was good at it.

Posing as a fighter with thief skills, he joined an ongoing campaign after his brother (one of my other PCs) died. His orginal plan was to earn the party’s trust, then do away with them all during one of his watches, thinking they had caused his brother’s death. Fortunately, their courage and decency held his hand until the truth about his brother’s death came out.

Alright, overly-anal backstory, I know. But like I said, I couldn’t just go for the maniacal “Bwah-hah-hah” type of bad guy. The evil characters are more interesting to me if you have a reference point for where the corruption set in.

“EVIL IS NOT A POINTOF VIEW!!!”

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Even a chaotic evil character strikes me as somewhat difficult than an insane character. Insane characters basically kill and raze without reason. Ignus from Planescape was kinda there. But often the most evil folk have some twisted reason behind what they do.

I read once somewhere that Chaotic Neutral actually fit insane characters. I think this is not untrue. Vecna for example. Was he chaotic evil? Yet he still seemed to have plans.

As Hal said:

“PENIS OF VECNA! Cut off your own penis, replace it with Vecna’s for hours of fun.”

Hours? Vecna rocks!

Ffaern
    • Orc

I ran a one-off evil Christmas game where the (pre-generated) characters were a bunch of assorted Lawful and Chaotic Evil minions of a nasty demon. Their mission? Prevent Christmas happening by going undercover to the North pole and disrupting operations.

It took them a while to get into it but after the first hour or so they where happily shredding teddy bears and disembowling pixies. The survivors of the Christmas tree Ent encounter even managed to sabotage Santa’s sleigh with seconds to spare effectively ruining Christmas that year.

Good job it’s just a game.

Brian

riddles
    • Succubus

I think a good way of playing evil characters, esp. if they have a high wisdom/intelligence, is to give them a “reason” for why they’re evil. And remember that most non insane characters don’t THINK that they’re evil.

For example killing people via slow ritual sacrifice to aid your religion is not a nice thing to do, but if it aids the power of your god, well, these things have to be done. Similarly the assassin who does it because if he/she didn’t someone else would (sort of like EegahInc’s character’s back story), wouldn’t make them feel evil per say, even if they were evil by they’re deeds.

Of course, if the character is insane, all bets are off! 😈

Given the choice, if I have to play an evil character, I tend to play the insane ones, partly ‘cos they’re more fun, and partly because playing a sane evil character is more difficult as you have to justify a world view you don’t personally believe in.

Ffaern
    • Orc
    riddles wrote:

Given the choice, if I have to play an evil character, I tend to play the insane ones, partly ‘cos they’re more fun, and partly because playing a sane evil character is more difficult as you have to justify a world view you don’t personally believe in.

Further to your thoughts on sane/insane alignments I’m trying to maintain that type of character with one of my NPC’s at the moment. She is Ylleck, the Lawful Evil Necromancer, from Sean Reynold’s Star Cairns module (see note below).

She is resident in one of the Star Cairns where she has raised an army of undead skeletons to protect, fetch and carry for her. The way Sean wrote her and the way I’m trying to take her further is by portraying her as obsessed by her research in a highly scientific manner however unconstrained by the small matter of ethics.

She doesn’t particularly mean anyone harm but she won’t let anything as pathetic as a cleric of good stand in her way if he objects to all of these undead and her amoral attitude. As far as she’s concerned they are just tools and her research is more important than anything else.

I must admit she’s really become a favourite of mine and I could see that playing a similar character to her would make sense to me for a Lawful Evil PC. I’ve never had such an easy time arguing philosophy with the PC’s. I just treat them as a superstitious bunch of God botherers obstructing the path of progress.

(Lawful) Evil Brian

note – The Star Cairns module by Sean Reynolds. I used this as a core for the campaign that we are still running now and initially on first reading wasn’t too impressed, however put players in it and it really takes off. There are a few plot issues that need to be papered over but all in all it works out to be a very exciting and playable series of linked dungeons and around the area wilderness stuff. Recommended for you 2nd Edition people.

Slag
    • Commoner

My most memorable Evil character was from Heroes Unlimited, he was a Super Villain. Every time he would get his evil plots going those damn Super Hero groups would come and ruin his fun. It made for some great games though, nothing like being on the way out of the bank heavily laden with stolen cash and some goody goody in tights tries to stop you. 😈

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I once played an evil campaign in Rolemaster (superb system and Shadow World is a great setting). I played a female Cleric of Andras (the God of Cats and Cruelty). There were only 3 players, myself, a Dark Paladin and a Warlock.

We had a great time chasing folks about and pulling their hearts out for our dark masters 😛

Superb fun!

Hal :hal:

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Cats are not cruel! It’s their nature, the wonderful little fuzzballs.

Cob37
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Ffaern wrote:

note – The Star Cairns module by Sean Reynolds. I used this as a core for the campaign that we are still running now and initially on first reading wasn’t too impressed, however put players in it and it really takes off. There are a few plot issues that need to be papered over but all in all it works out to be a very exciting and playable series of linked dungeons and around the area wilderness stuff. Recommended for you 2nd Edition people.

I agree, I ran the three module series with Star Cairn, Lyzandred, and Doomgrinder and I enjoyed all three of them. I fit them into the overall story arc for my World of Skell game and everyone had fun. My favorite out of the three was the Doomgrinder, heck, it’s still sitting east of Greyhawk City, derro raiding every so often, and Greyhawk is getting the militia together to go out and attack it. Good times!

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

well, I had a misadventure with a helm of alignment changing. That was fun. Chaotic Good to lawful evil in half a second. The funny thing was, my party didn’t figure it out for three sessions, and by that time I’d killed the “Pope of Pelor.” Then they fized me, and i went on to get him ressurected, but being evil for that short bit was fun.

Cob37
    • Gelatinous Cube
    WerewolfPaladin wrote:
    So, have you ever had evil characters in a party or done a party of evil characters? Even one-shot adventures count. 🙂

I have found evil characters only serve to give players carte blanche to kill other characters in the name of good role playing. It’s stupid.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘General RPG Stuff’ is closed to new topics and replies.