Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter Suggestions Esoterrorists anyone?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    centauri
    • Owlbear
    weasel wrote:
    You did get that it was crap, right? 😀

Yes, I did. I was trying to make a funny but I couldn’t get the lid off my bottle of emoticons (stupid childproofing!) so it fell a bit flat.

The game as you describe it does sound as though it was written by someone lashing out at games they don’t like. I see this from time to time. Palladium had a few terse words about alignment scales with Good and Evil on them. Call of Cthulhu rails (more or less politely) against games that focus on combat. The folks with this game clearly dislike games that involve random perception checks. Those, and pseudoscience.

But about games involving clues that can be missed: this does seem to be a fairly common and frustrating occurrence. Maybe it should be easy to deal with, I’m afraid most games I’ve played in or listened to in which something like this happened did grind to a halt. That, or the DM, fearing same, simply gave the players more attempts until one of them passed. Spirit of the Century suggests, among other advice, setting the difficulty low enough to ensure that players spot clues, but I can see where some people might not like that approach. Me, I tend to avoid mysteries because of the aforementioned issue, or, when I can’t, I just give the players the relevant clues and have them tell me why their characters do or do not manage to obtain the same information.

I’d also like to talk about how one gets players to actually follow up on clues, which seems to be a major problem in Call of Cthulhu, but I’ll put that in another thread.

Sinister-Ornament
    • Gelatinous Cube

Well, Weasel’s review was well worth the wait.

Quote:
    3. The rules. How bad could they be, you ask. Well…

You assign points to each ability, so you might have 6 points in shooting.

In order to do anything, the GM assigns a difficulty from 2 to 8, which you have to roll over on a d6. To up your chances, you add points, which are then lost. BUT the GM assigns the difficulty in secret, so you have no idea how your points relate to it.

So imagine the scenario. The (secret) difficulty is 6. I’m shooting a gun and really want to hit, so I put 3 points in.

I roll 2 + 3 points = 5.

I’ve failed. I now have only 3 points left.

I try again, roll a 1 + 3 points = 4, again fail.

Now here’s the crap bit. I HAVE NO MORE POINTS LEFT. They only regenerate each session, so I have:

a) missed twice, and

b) now the same skill as everyone else for the rest of the session.

Yes, that’s right. I could start out an olympic shooting champion, miss twice and then be crap for the rest of the session.

That sounds really odd. It makes me wonder why it was designed like that – if it was designed so that Points would regenerate each day for the PC then I could see the point, as they’d be like an exhaustion mechanic.

Quote:
    It’s even as bad as the last episode of Doctor Who.

Oh, come on I don’t think it’s that bad!

I hope I can look forward to more of Weasel’s dissections in the future…

Daniel
    • Succubus
    centauri wrote:
    I’d also like to talk about how one gets players to actually follow up on clues, which seems to be a major problem in Call of Cthulhu, but I’ll put that in another thread.

I’d be interested in such a thread if you are willing to start it.

Danny

lost_zeppo
    • Bullywug

Whoa, wasn’t expecting such a huge response. O_o

Anyhow, I do actually have the game, I just like to see if I can play or see a game being run before I run it myself.

Can’t seem to find the Rolemonkeys recording.

I have to admit though, from the brief glance I had at the rules I did think they were a little odd. I’ll probably still give it a shot sometime though.

BigJackBrass
    • Drider
    lost_zeppo wrote:
    Can’t seem to find the Rolemonkeys recording.

It was one of their earlier recordings and the group has gone through quite a few changes, along with a new feed and website. I don’t think that it’s quite the priority it used to be for the remaining players.

Have you tried asking about it on their forum or e-mailing them? A little nudge might be all it needs for them to post it again, as I believe they’re intending to get everything on the new site eventually. Unfortunately I deleted all of their games as I listened to them, or else I’d pass it along. The link I originally used to download it is dead.

centauri
    • Owlbear
    Illiani wrote:
    I’d be interested in such a thread if you are willing to start it.

Actually, I forgot that I already had:

https://www.rpgmp3.com/modules.php?name= … pic&t=2610

I’d appreciate further input.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘Suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.