Forums Archive Non RPG Chatter Non Gaming Chat Earth Google

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

Has anyone else checked out earth google yet? http://earth.google.com/ This thing is unbelievable.

riddles
    • Succubus

Very pretty.

I like the way the Earth spins when you select another continent

How detailed is it for more out of the way places? All I need now is a GPRS…

Cob37
    • Gelatinous Cube

This looks cool, I can’t wait to get my computer back and d/l it.

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

My town, Champaign, IL isn’t very detailed, but my old home in NY is so detailed I can see my driveway, front stoop and the neighbors swimming pool. Some areas have 3-D data. Pull up Mount Saint Helens or the Great Pyramids and you can tilt and rotate. I had a great view standing in the middle of mount saint helens yesterday. This thing really blows me away.

Slag
    • Commoner

Yeah google earth Rocks!

St. Louis downtown is done up in 3d real well. They even have my storage trailer at work in 3D.

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

It’s cool, but a little scary to think about how much information is available to the public. Scary to think about what you’d see if the resolution were any higher.

*big brother is watching*

Makes me itch for a game of paranoia.

Wellard
    • Orc

Anyone checked out area 51 yet.I can say that the view is….interesting

Salubrai
    • Succubus
    ENoa4 wrote:
    My town, Champaign, IL isn’t very detailed, but my old home in NY is so detailed I can see my driveway, front stoop and the neighbors swimming pool. Some areas have 3-D data. Pull up Mount Saint Helens or the Great Pyramids and you can tilt and rotate. I had a great view standing in the middle of mount saint helens yesterday. This thing really blows me away.

On some bigger cities, they have 3-d buildings. That is a bit of a problem, in that they are featureless polygons (check chicago for example) and block your view of the real satellite imagery below. Anyone know how to turn them off?

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

Take a look at layers in the lower left hand corner. There are a number of toggles including 3D Buildings. I haven’t tried it, but I would guess it’s that setting or something in that area.

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

sadly, it’s an exe file, and my otherwise lovely mac refuses to run such programs.

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube

Thanks for the link EN. This is a great app I can actually make use of daily in my job. And it’s free! WooHoo ❗

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Prior to Google Earth, there was NASA World Wind, which is also free. It does a much better job in regards to terrain, though Google seems to have it beat on cities. However, NASA’s one also has a number of different imagery sources – so you can view it as a topographical map, pseudo-colour or true colour satellite photos, and more.

Anyway, it’s a nice extra and it’s FREE.

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

Anonymous
    • Owlbear

I find that many areas on Goggle earth are not well defined below about 9000 ft.My home town for instance is a series of blurs at below this level

And Pearl Harbour and Diego Garcia seem to be delibratley blocked(although I can get close in views of San Diego and Norfolk)

Salubrai
    • Succubus

So is the White House, and Nellis Air Force Range (for example – no Area 51!), but you can see Cheyenne Mountain – which is odd

However, being free, I can’t complain. It’s very nice. Tokyo is particularly well defined.

Wellard
    • Orc

The guest above was me(funny I was logged in at the time…musta been a glitch)

I can see the White House perfectly but the area 51 coverup is a bit suspicious, after all the USAF tells us there is nothing going on there but this just serves to keep the interest going(off course we all know that Area 52 is where the UFOs are stored)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • The forum ‘Non Gaming Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.