Forums Archive Roleplaying Chatter General RPG Stuff Does the Tech get in the way?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    riddles
    • Succubus

I finally got round to plugging in my Laptop for Sunday’s WLD game.

The plan was

1. I’ve got all the maps as pdfs so I can annotate them etc. as the party progresses.

2. With the interweb connection on, I can get things like d20srd and other online resources rather than having to dive into the books all the time.

3. It’ll get the players used to it all, for when I eventually get a projector! 😀

It… well, it went OK I guess.

One thing I’d forgotten was that it’s mainly one of the players who looks everything up whilst I get on with running the game (rather like Steve does for Hal), so I ended up slowing down rather than speeding up play.

Question for everyone else. What “tech” do you use to help run the game? Or is it just used for recording what’s happening… (which we currently don’t).

Riddles

Ffaern
    • Orc

I nearly always have a laptop when I run any sort of RPG.

Since our main game is 2nd edition AD&D I use files that are sourced from the 2nd edition core rules. Basically I have taken the rtf files included in that product and broken them down into chapters, which I now have in a Lotus Notes database. These databases allow full text indexing and are very fast to search, giving almost instant access to the rules, however any similar free-form database such as AskSam or InfoSelect would also be a good choice.

I do the same sort of thing with NPC’s, places and plots.

I also keep a journal of the sessions, since we still do written summaries of the sessions rather than recordings. Since I can type a lot faster than I can write this is a particular advantage.

Finally I have a rather nice City of Greyhawk webpage stored locally that is a scan of the city map complete with mouse-over annotation, which I find very useful when the players head off to a new part of town.

The map is by Denis Tetreault and is available at http://melkot.com/locations/cogh/cogh.html

All-in-all, lots of time saved except for the session where the hard disc crashed. 🙂

Anonymous
    • Owlbear

I just started playing again with an old friend and my oldest son, but the last time I had any sort of real gaming experience was about 3 years ago, and it was with two guys in Texas (I am in Illinois). We used a voice chat program primarily and a text/graphics sharing program (but not offen). In this case it was obviously essential for what we were doing, but I enjoyed it. Somewhere in the RPGMP3 forums is a link to a site with a program that boasts some impressive tools for remote play.

In short, I had to use it, and I missed seeing the players but it tech worked very well for us.

ENoa4

Ffaern
    • Orc

The open source gaming software, which you might be interested in, is openrpg at http://www.openrpg.com/ which looks pretty good. Although I’ve never actually gamed with the benefit of remote technology, just played with the “toys”.

The sort of stuff I do is in support of table top gaming. It’s interesting to hear that you have made a go of it using just voice chat messaging stuff.

riddles
    • Succubus

Hmm, interesting.

One of my other ideas (at this point my players have learned to run screaming) is to include a friend via a webcam and/or something like openrpg. Rather sadly, I got the idea from a webcomic (couldn’t tell you which one though).

Has anyone ever done this? Both me & the player concerned have broadband so it should be possible I guess…

Cob37
    • Gelatinous Cube
    riddles wrote:
    Question for everyone else. What “tech” do you use to help run the game? Or is it just used for recording what’s happening… (which we currently don’t).

Riddles

Three of my players use laptops, I record the sessions using a desktop and have another desktop networked that has the Core Rules files on it for bookkeeping and rules clarifications. I also record the games to a cassette recorder for backup.

Then we have our game based website that keeps most of the other stuff like world information, histories, pc and npc listings, etc.

Shug
    • Orc
    riddles wrote:

One of my other ideas (at this point my players have learned to run screaming) is to include a friend via a webcam and/or something like openrpg. Rather sadly, I got the idea from a webcomic (couldn’t tell you which one though)…

Full Frontal Nerdity

http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/nodwick/ffn/ffn.htm

Pretty good, as far as nerd webcomics go.

riddles
    • Succubus
    Shug wrote:
    Full Frontal Nerdity

Yup, that’s it. Actually, looking at the webcomic, my group seem worryingly similar…

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear
    Shug wrote:
    riddles wrote:

One of my other ideas (at this point my players have learned to run screaming) is to include a friend via a webcam and/or something like openrpg. Rather sadly, I got the idea from a webcomic (couldn’t tell you which one though)…

Full Frontal Nerdity

http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/nodwick/ffn/ffn.htm

Pretty good, as far as nerd webcomics go.

Hmmm!

https://www.rpgmp3.com/modules.php?name= … opic&t=271

riddles
    • Succubus

Paul – kind of. I was thinking more like Full Frontal where the guy has a webcam & can see what’s going on & we can see him & respond etc. I think your Skype idea is more passive listening to what’s going on?

I started thinking about all this a couple of Sundays ago when one of our regular players sent me a text asking if he’d died yet?! (if you’re not there as a player, you’re there as a npc). He ended up somewhat participating in the game (about 5-6 texts saying what he wanted his character to do/NOT do!). He was waiting for a connection flight in Houston at the time… (company phone bills…)

The way I was thinking was if we could do this with just a mobile phone, what could we do with proper broadband/webcams etc. One of the group moved away a couple of years ago, and though we started to meet up to do a monthly roleplaying day, it sort of died a death as children came on the scene. But if he didn’t need to leave his house….

Ah, at the moment it’s all pie-in-the-sky, but it could be fun to play at setting it up… 🙂

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

Skype can be active or passive as necessary. 🙂

The following may also be of interest:

Using Skype for online CoC

riddles
    • Succubus
    PaulofCthulhu wrote:
    Skype can be active or passive as necessary. 🙂

The following may also be of interest:

Using Skype for online CoC

OK, that seems almost EXACTLY what I want, with Robbie being in the position of my friend.

I think my laptop should be capable of running everything, or I could always lug a PC downstairs (I’m sure I’ve got a long enough cable to get to the downstairs network switch).

Anyone recommend any omni-directional mikes that are relatively cheap?

I wanna play now… 🙂

riddles
    • Succubus

Well, that went rather well. 🙂

Last nite we played with 1 remote player for the 1st time. Seemed to go pretty well (apart from 1 PC dying, who’s player wasn’t there…).

At the end of the day, tabletop is pretty much a verbal game anyway, & when combat started, I just moved the webcam in closer & the mat could be seen well enough.

We used skype/video skype & it worked like a dream…

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear
    riddles wrote:

Riddles

When gaming in person we go out with clubs and kill a deer, then strip it of its hide, collect the blood, and make quills out of the bones, then we take the stone tablets on which the rules have been inscribed and copy out our characters onto the hide of the deer, using our own blood when the deer’s runs out.

Otherwise I game online, usually using the AIM chat system, but sometimes using the Kloogewerks system.

riddles
    • Succubus
    mchvlichldprdgy wrote:
    When gaming in person we go out with clubs and kill a deer, then strip it of its hide, collect the blood, and make quills out of the bones, then we take the stone tablets on which the rules have been inscribed and copy out our characters onto the hide of the deer, using our own blood when the deer’s runs out.

Using the F.U.C.K. system by any chance? 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘General RPG Stuff’ is closed to new topics and replies.