Forums Gaming Chat Roleplaying DnD 5e Starter Set Unboxing

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    bodhranist
    • Orc

522cd0c6b02e32cf7474f7472c93ba26-advance

Not that traditional.

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

Rob Donoghue is working his way through the starter set and writing about it as he goes on his blog, The Walking Mind.

Plenty of thoughtful observations as always and a very good look at the product in reasonable depth.

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

Too much fun!

I had a look at it as well. 🙂

https://vimeo.com/100402845

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Ha ha – I never thought I would see you review DnD 😀

Hal :hal:

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Ha ha – I never thought I would see you review DnD 😀 Good job 🙂

I am quite liking it so far – we have only run one session but the rules are so so so much better than 4e was and a lot less crunchy that 3rd.

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

I still have a soft spot for old D&D. 🙂

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Check out the first session – the audio sucks which is why I am waiting for a cleaner copy from Lockhart before I release the podcast version.

kendoyle659
    • Thri-kreen

I look forward to listening to it. I certainly like the boxed set from having a quick glance at it. I think it seems like something I’d like a lot more that 4e. I have had a quick flick through the online rules there and I like the fact that they have tried to get a bit more thought into some character points. Whilst not essential I like these initial pointers and I think it could certainly help people who are new to the hobby. 

When I have run the boxed set for my group I’ll leave my thoughts on here. I certainly am excited about it which is good as people have been requesting a fantasy RPG but I didn’t really want all the movement from 3e.

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

The main thing I’m hoping these rules will provide is the sense that D&D is a game about what you can do, not what you can’t. The Feats system is terrible for that, stopping players from trying interesting things because they didn’t pick the right feat. Fingers crossed that 5e plays more like the very early editions in that regard.

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

The main thing I’m hoping these rules will provide is the sense that D&D is a game about what you can do, not what you can’t.

A very apt statement, considering the background story that @[member=”Heather”] picked for her elf mage character in the new Phandelver game. 😉

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

It does seem that these rules are more positive – there are no skills that are exclusive to a single class any more which I think is excellent – some classes are just more focused on them than others.

Another reason I like Rolemaster so much. If you want a Druid with the surfing skill – go ahead and make one 😛

PrestoJeff
    • Thri-kreen

With your animal companion hanging ten with you on your board? I guess there could be a tropical (Hawaiian) Druid, couldn’t there?

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

A surfing druid would be fantastic… Riding a living wooden board. He could be like a combination of Aquaman and the Silver Surfer…

PrestoJeff
    • Thri-kreen

I was imagining more Radagast and Duke Kahanamoku.

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

According to certain interpretations of divine scripture, Pelor rips gnarly on those macking waves, yo.

Pelor___Hang_Loose_by_mrbob0822.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • The forum ‘Roleplaying’ is closed to new topics and replies.