Forums Archive Roleplaying Chatter Save My Game! Dear Steve – Touch Spells

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    sad_genius
    • Flumph

How does “holding the charge” with a touch spell work?

Am I to understand that if I hold the spell for a full round action without dispelling it, then it *doesn’t* discharge when I use the spell – so I can keep shocking grasping someone over and over, for example?

Yours,

Confused in London

bredbored
    • Commoner
    sad_genius wrote:
    How does “holding the charge” with a touch spell work?

Am I to understand that if I hold the spell for a full round action without dispelling it, then it *doesn’t* discharge when I use the spell – so I can keep shocking grasping someone over and over, for example?

Yours,

Confused in London

Eh? Holding is just a way of governing when a spell is discharged.

Try http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm

and particularly (my emphasis):

Holding the Charge

If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren’t considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. (If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack.) If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.

sad_genius
    • Flumph

Ahh, right, it was the bit about making other natural weapon or unarmed attacks that confused me – so, assuming you do, you cast your shocking grasp (or whatever) and then turn and smack someone in the face unaided, and the spell fizzles. Right.

So, Steve and other, D&D guri, what if I have another attack, due to high levels, or being a monster (with for example, two claws and a bite) – can I bite and smakc someone and then hold the charge til’ next round on my other claw, or would I lose the spell, unless I claw+touched the first opponent, then ran through the rest of my attack routine?

DrNick
    • Flumph

This was actually answered in the above by BredBored:

bredbored wrote:
    If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges.”
    SteveB
    • Orc

I assume this would be an attack with your primary hand/attack. If you were attacking with an off-hand/bite attack, your spell would still be active if you could maintain concentration on it…with a Concentration check one would assume…to maintain it…if it was with your primary attack/hand, the spell would discharge as normal…one charge only, unless the description specifies otherwise (no spell that I can recall offhand)

DrNick
    • Flumph

I don’t have a PhB with me, but I was on the understanding that you no longer hold the charge ‘on your hand’. So any contact with a viable spell target would discharge the spell…

Not sure about this one tho.

bredbored
    • Commoner
    DrNick wrote:
    I don’t have a PhB with me, but I was on the understanding that you no longer hold the charge ‘on your hand’. So any contact with a viable spell target would discharge the spell…

I would agree with this, on the basis that the rules are elsewhere specific that unarmed attacks aren’t only made with your hands. I’d also note that the SRD note says

D20SRD wrote:
    If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges

I’m not sure what circumstance they’re trying to cover with the “even unintentionally” bit – presumably, it’s something like;

1. MU casts e.g. Shocking Grasp with intention of hurting Leader Baddie

2. MU tries to hit Leader but misses (still holding charge, ready for another attempt next round)

3. Minor baddie succesfully grapples you before your next action, and therefore has the SG discharged into her even though you didn’t really want that.

Kingsley

riddles
    • Succubus

I can see bad things happening with this.

Cast shocking grasp and try to hit evil cleric.

Evil cleric casts command word “Wank”…

Oooh, doesn’t bear thinking about… 😯

SteveB
    • Orc

Yes, I agree (as I’ve just reappropriated my PHB from Hal) with everything above, except my erred memory of what you can do with them…any attack whether primary hand or not will discharge the spell, and it seems concentration is no longer necessary after having cast the spell. I was amazed, however, to see that you could indefinitely hold a charged touch spell on your hand until you touched something or cast another spell, instead of only being able to hold if for a number of rounds as previously 😆

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Save My Game!’ is closed to new topics and replies.