Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Rillietann
    • Bullywug

Is anyone else going to be trying this? I know I am for definite and i’ve roped in the whole of my adventure group too 🙂 so thats 5 of us.

Shame its not out for a while though, currently in Alpha testing, but im a patient man.

http://www.ddo.com/

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

I think that’s monthly fee for that one, and a massively multiplayer deal, if memory serves. I may stay away simply I don’t get addicted. My wife would have no husband and my kids would have no father.

Shug
    • Orc

I was really disappointed when the proposed release date came nearer and nearer, and no new release news came from the site.

To be expected, but it was still disappointing.

I’m waiting on this one with bated breath, mainly because I’m in love with the classic D&D universe (beholders, gith, displacer beasts, gelatinous cubes, etc etc)… all other RPG, imho, derives from this. First in the game (debatable, agreed), and even with the current state of things and the recent direction the franchise has taken (read as: plummetting at terminal velocity), best in the game.

I’m saving my MMORPG cherry for DDO.

Slightly Off Topic: Are classic D&D beasties and concepts copyrighted? Is that why I never see illithids in non-D&D products?

Face
    • Gelatinous Cube

I used to watch DDO very closely too, aye.

I’m really an MMO addict, though (I played EQ2 rather than WoW; I thought it’d be more engrossing), and after a friend of mine turned me on to Vanguard I stopped paying attention to the DDO scene.

That said, DDO sounds like it will be an excellent MMO to cut teeth on, as well as being good for people who only have an hour or two a night to play. Eberron certainly seems to be a nice choice of setting.

If you are like me and have a problem (I pre-ordered EQ2, was the fourth maxed troubadour on the server, had a permanent position in organizing and carrying out the guild’s nightly raids, etc etc etc) you might give Vanguard a serious look. Friends, it looks like the only genuinely hard MMO for miles. 8)

[edit]

Salubrai
    • Succubus

I’m not faulting anyone who plays mmorpgs, but I could never really get into them. It’s mostly the lack of a cohesive plot and a “tailored” world where you can make a difference.

Still, I think it’s back when I tried to play Ultima Online once, and almost immediately met a knight who spoke to me in a “unique accent” “Yo whas up, you a mage, dog?” somehow made me lose the “feel” for the atmosphere. 😛

Oh, I’m sure they’ve gotten better. But players really are players. 😀

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

Not to beat the Neverwinter Nights drum again, but there are some free persistant worlds, that are worth checking out. Some, many are hard core role playing. Even the guys at the world of skell would approve.

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Yes, you are right, ernie. NWN online is not really mmorpging and it’s more biased towards good roleplaying, imho.

NWN kicks butt, even if the graphics are a bit dated. That never hurt Baldur’s Gate 2 or Ultima 7. 🙂

Shug
    • Orc

Yeah, I have friends who are hard (a couple are still original EQ – still). At best, I’m given about 50% attention-wise when I go to see them (they don’t leave the house much besides foraging and the job).

We’re talking “EQ-as-second-job” hardcore. A couple swap on day/night shifts with a character and farm/craft, selling loot and plat to online companies for real dollars.

It’s those groups of friends that have actually kept me far away from getting started in MMO…

… and with what I’ve read of DDO, they will try to cater to the casual gamer as much as their bread-winning hardcore player. How much of that is pre-sales smoke-and-mirrors remain to be seen.

The fact that it seems relatively low-level to start (10 level max, 4 sublevels per level) and no crafting economy means that farming and power gaming may be kept to a minimum… us half-assed players can hope anyways.

X’endrik would be interesting to play in (I was initially disappointed it wasn’t FR), although as a lost continent – I think it will lead to more hack-type gaming over actual character/rpg development… we’ll see once it’s released, I suppose…

Shug
    • Orc

And while I like NWN, have the expansions, and even occasionally DL mods (usually going for ports of the classic TSR modules)…

… there’s a missing “X” factor that comes with a MMO game (not speaking from direct experience, just analysis from over-the-shoulder sessions and the extensive reading I’ve done about the genre). Even when playing MP with others in a friend’s tailormade dungeon… it’s missing a certain human something.

Salubrai
    • Succubus

I’ve got your X factor right here.

It’s that you’re not the hero of the game. And everyone in the game wants to be the hero (or the villain)

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube

Even though I’m comtemplating jumping into NWN because of some of Ernie’s comments and modules, and I’m definitely curious about DDO, I just don’t know. I’ve never been able to get into them.

What’s missing in MMORPGs for me is other human beings, period. There’s just something about having the guy sitting next to you call you a ballsack because you ran instead of protecting his unconcious character or a DM doing a victory yell (ala Cob37) when he crits your character that can’t be duplicated in MMOs. That constant flow back and forth between role playing and OOC chat IS the experience for me.

That being said, I did see a quick 5 minute segment on DDO on the G4 cable channel that looked really, really cool and tempting. 😉

Shug
    • Orc

There are RP-enforced servers out there, where you’re required to stay relatively in-character… I venture (hope) they’ll be prevalent with the release of DDO.

Face
    • Gelatinous Cube

Speaking from a little experience, even RP servers are a craps shoot. Players, as Shathis succinctly put it, are players.

For me, MMO games are all about the group effort. One could reasonably argue that you can get a better group experience from real people really sitting beside you on real chairs. I agree with this argument completely. But, if you don’t have an RP group to run around a living room with, MMOs can be pretty good candy. I’ll just say that I think soloing in an MMO like playing any handy CRPG with a chat messenger open in the corner of your screen, except the worse for lack of plot.

So, in order to be useful to a group, you have a lot of stuff to learn. You need to learn game mechanics, you need to learn about your environment, you need to learn about your class and the jobs it can perform (and those it can’t, and why), you need to learn about other people’s jobs and how exactly you can help them — and they you. You need to pick up strategies and make up new ones when you can, and you need to be alert and ready, damn it.

Learning that stuff is fun for me, and keeps me entertained most of the time while building up a character (say, 75% gaming time, 25% other, which I’ll touch on in a grandiose manner pretty quick-like). As you gradually get near and finally reach the endgame, though, you’re likely to find that it isn’t really about the game so much anymore. You know the game, you’ve experimented with it quite a bit and it’s not likely to surprise you too much… So you have a good time chatting with the people you’ve spent your “other” time getting to know. You prune out the people who in some way or another you find offputting, and everything’s pretty gravy. The endgame generally has just enough content to keep you occupied while you chat, and if you’re particularly hardcore most of the larger games have raids to partake in.

It varies from game to game, but generally speaking raids are nuts. They require large cohesive guilds of skilled and enthusiastic players — it’s like the laziest sport on earth. Of course when you aren’t raiding you’re chatting/RPing/exploring/farming with people on your carefully groomed list of friendly persons. You just can’t get that kind of interaction from a CRPG game.

To sum up: if you can’t tabletop, MMOing isn’t the worst alternative in the world. Careful now, or I’ll wax poetic.

nerdthink9bx.gif

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

What platform is it for. The site isn’t specific.

Face
    • Gelatinous Cube

PC. Dunno if there will be a Mac/Linux (haw! Linux!) version or not.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘General RPG Stuff’ is closed to new topics and replies.