Forums Gaming Chat Associated Geekery Bulging Bag of Holding Constantine TV Series

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

So – I am sure some of you have seen the first trailer from the new Constantine TV series by now.

What do we think?

I have to say it looks pretty decent except for his accent (where the hell is that from?) and the fact that NBC won’t let the character smoke… Pfft!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPE2oBnzROY

Hal :hal:

Twyst
    • Bullywug

Oooga! The attitude is perfect. The rest remains to be seen, and see it I will.

AndrewRJ
    • Flumph

That looks promising.   🙂

[anonymous]
    • Thri-kreen

I liked the look if it. I agree about the accent but at least we’re not getting an American Constantine. It’s a shame I’ve watched far too much supernatural for me to be able to take Devil’s Traps seriously anymore. 🙂

Slartibartfast
    • Gelatinous Cube

I agree – but the accent?  A sort of indistinct Northern thing?

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

There was a short Vertigo graphic novel called Mythos: The Final Tour; it’s about a rock star who’s approached by various demonic powers, trying to tempt him with succubi and so forth, and eventually discovers that he’s a reincarnation of a Norse god, or something. It featured a great little cameo by Constantine, who meets the rock star in a beach condo. Constantine has tied up this hapless wretch of a man, who’s wet himself with terror, and Constantine’s calmly having a smoke while this horrid infernal aberration is squatting over the terrified dweeb on the floor.

Constantine explains (whispering, so the captive won’t overhear) that the “devil” is just an inflatable prop he’s borrowed from a special effects guy he knows in Hollywood. The whimpering prisoner is a wannabe author, who’s written Constantine’s unauthorized biography, and is planning on selling the movie rights for a cool million.

Whenever there’s rumours of another Constantine movie, or a TV series, I have a mental image of Constantine picking up a packet of cigarettes and a demonic blow-up doll, and paying the erstwhile “creators” a visit. 🙂

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I have the Mythos comics 🙂 In my comic boxes somewhere 😀

Nick T. Vegan
    • Flumph

In fairness nobody understands a scouse accent. Not even Liverpudlians.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Pretty sure that isn’t Liverpool 🙂

Hello Nick – nice to see you are still wandering about here – not seen you in a while. We miss you 🙂

Dr_Jomster
    • Orc

It does look surprisingly promising, I have to say! Much better than that American Horror Story thing on telly that I’ve been dabbling with recently.

T’intermet informs me that Matt Ryan’s welsh. I wonder if that’s linked to the slightly hard to pin down-ness of his accent. He’s clearly from north of Watford though… Probably…

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

Will he be chainsmoking e-cigarettes, do you think?

Dr_Jomster
    • Orc

Judging by the trailer. I’m not sure that’s the angle they’re going for… 🙂 And yes, I’m pretty sure you’re joking!

This makes me want to pick up some digital editions of the comic from comixology… Then I remember that the new management took away in-app purchases… Sigh.

Still, this trailer looks quite hopeful! Fingers crossed!

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

So, is there anyone who’s watched the show? What’s the verdict, so far?

tumblr_nipvpyqzRz1u4o3hvo2_500.jpg
    tumblr_nipvpyqzRz1u4o3hvo1_400.gif

Hellblazer: All His Engines | Constantine 1×06: Rage of Caliban.

Twyst
    • Bullywug

I’m behind by a couple of episodes, I think. Overall, pretty good, but I find myself unexited, watching just because it’s there. Can’t say why, really. The production is high quality, I like the actors and there is an interesting meta plot. 

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

… and there is an interesting meta plot.

Sometimes I wonder whether this hasn’t in itself become an issue. From the old standard of shows with an overall theme rather than a plot, where every episode stood alone and there was probably no actual conclusion to resolve it all (see pretty much every genre show of the 60s and 70s), we may well have gone too far the other way. It frequently looks as though the big overarching plot is given too much attention, but there’s a failure to make individual episodes compelling. Could this show be falling foul of that?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.