Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter RPGMP3 Classics Classic AD&D

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    WhiteKnight
    • Gelatinous Cube

Ravenloft

Ravenloft is one of the finest stand-alone scenarios I have ever played.

Fact of the matter is, that for a party of characters of the suggested levels, you are going to be lucky if half make it to the end. With a little care and attention Strahd will see off the whole group with relatively little difficulty.

I rate this as a character killer up alongside Tomb of Horrors, for the likelihood of decimating the entire party. Though I will say it requires more intelligent play than ToH in which you can leave the players to kill themselves on the traps.

The background to the scenario is good, and all the clues are there, but the odds are starkly against players unless you have a large group.

Raveloft II – The House on Griffin Hill was also a great scenario. I think the universal acceptance that these were classics led to the huge mistake of the World of Raveloft game setting. What works for short stand-alone adventures doesn’t always make for good campaign play. Who here has ever seen a long-term Paranoia campaign? But isn’t it fun to play in a one-off?

Keep on the Borderlands

Have no objections to running this, though of course we would have to use Classic original D&D, in the Grand Duchy of Karameikos. The most likely route I would use would be to offer B1-9 “In Search of Adventure”, which has KotB on one of the adventure paths.

Found KotB to be a little drawn out as a dungeon crawl, definitely a product of its time, though with WLD we are seeing a return to those values.

Might have trouble deciding where to send the players after that, particularly if we are going to stick to the format of classic adventures. Castle Amber might follow, or maybe Isle of Dread. Mystara is a big place however, and there are lots of directions the party could decide to head off in.

Not sure when (or if) any of these projects will get off the ground. though I had hoped to launch one of them in the next month or so. Will try and keep you appraised as to whether the idea has been dropped at this end.

riddles
    • Succubus
    WhiteKnight wrote:

Keep on the Borderlands

This kind of defeats the thread title, doesn’t it?! 🙂

OTOH, it was the first game I ran as a DM, when I was a small person…

I’d love to hear it played again, but I suspect there are ALOT more deserving modules out there. The Isle of Dread was pretty good though, and I’ve used the idea Castle Amber in lots of settings.

I still think the UK series is a pretty good set though (not that my opinion is in any way relevant! :))…

Wellard
    • Orc

I can remember running When a Star Falls whch I think was UK1 and featured Captain Mannering and the Gnome Guard.This module was famouus in our circle for introducing one of the most deadly (to his own party) characters we have ever had.Arod(the magnificent Wizard as he styled himself)managed to catch his team-mates(and himself) in not 1 not 2 but 3 consecutive fireballs fortunatly not all in the same combat.After this Zagyg the Great awarded him a set of asbestos robes for being the most amusing thing he had seen that day

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube
    WhiteKnight wrote:
    Ravenloft

Ravenloft is one of the finest stand-alone scenarios I have ever played.

Fact of the matter is, that for a party of characters of the suggested levels, you are going to be lucky if half make it to the end. With a little care and attention Strahd will see off the whole group with relatively little difficulty.

I rate this as a character killer up alongside Tomb of Horrors, for the likelihood of decimating the entire party. Though I will say it requires more intelligent play than ToH in which you can leave the players to kill themselves on the traps.

The background to the scenario is good, and all the clues are there, but the odds are starkly against players unless you have a large group.

Raveloft II – The House on Griffin Hill was also a great scenario. I think the universal acceptance that these were classics led to the huge mistake of the World of Raveloft game setting. What works for short stand-alone adventures doesn’t always make for good campaign play. Who here has ever seen a long-term Paranoia campaign? But isn’t it fun to play in a one-off?

Yeah, the campaign setting is why I expected some boos and hisses when I suggested it. But the original module just kicked serious butt. There were precious few survivors and many “roll a new character” moments when I went through it. It still gets my vote.

Cob37
    • Gelatinous Cube
    WhiteKnight wrote:
    Not sure when this will start as I still have to assemble a party and unlearn all my D&D3E. 😆

Can 3E be unlearned? How wonderful! 😛

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

I played a few 3E games but not many. Most of my 3E stuff is online, icewind dale II neverwinter nights, etc…

Can’t wait for some classic mods to be posted as audio files.

WhiteKnight
    • Gelatinous Cube

I love the original Ravenloft modules. I thought they were among the best written and detailed of the modules for AD&D.

It was a mistake however to try and catch hold of the WoD’s and make it into a vampire driven setting. I felt it worked well enough for single adventures, but the Ravenloft as a campaign setting idea was flawed from the start.

btw I-10 was Ravenloft II – The House on Griffon Hill.

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

I ran the original Ravenloft, and worked it into almost every campaign I could, provided I had a fresh group of players. I tried to run I10 but had a revolt on my hands. The players loved the original, but the I10, they one of them literally just sat on the side of the road and refused to move.

I found some excuse to move them along somewhere else. I was excited by it, but they were not.

Oh well!

ENoa4

Salubrai
    • Succubus

I am an unabashed advocate of Planescape. I just love that system. Seriously, though, it’s so wide-open in terms of what you can do – – and the fact the universe is so big, the GM has to think up a lot on the fly, that most people can’t do it right. It’s too bad it was never made into 3rd edition. The computer game was ridiculously good as well.

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

I know the classic modules can be player killers, and simple hack and slash adventures, but I will always be hopelessly nostalgic about them. Modules like Tome of Horrors, White Plume Mountain, Hidden Shrine of Tomoachan, Barrier Peaks, Keep on the Borderlands. Great memories.

Salubrai
    • Succubus

This may be a chance for you to detail which module conversions you’ve done, enoa… and maybe explain what you did to “balance” them for NWN?

watsonr93
    • Commoner

When we are going to the classic ad&d then people think that there is not assuming to time spent Sort of d&d3 character., and In this way character become more powerful then the adventure.Ad &d is a boring section then the charecter generation.

Isis
    • Succubus

A Wedding photographers?! Seriously?

:gtfo: FORUM OF SHAME! With ruffles. 🙂

eformo
    • Gelatinous Cube

That’s actually one of the better jobs of generating a post by a spam-bot. Pretty awful, but better than most. Wow (and no wow gold)

And I seriously hope that the Classic AD&D happens at some date in the future….

WhiteKnight
    • Gelatinous Cube
    eformo wrote:
    That’s actually one of the better jobs of generating a post by a spam-bot. Pretty awful, but better than most. Wow (and no wow gold)

And I seriously hope that the Classic AD&D happens at some date in the future….

Who knows. Once I’ve got a handle on Runepunk, I may be glad of a season break to run something totally different. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • The forum ‘RPGMP3 Classics’ is closed to new topics and replies.