Forums Archive Roleplaying Chatter Save My Game! BTW, Hal, You’re a B******!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    SteveB
    • Orc

Hey Hal,

Thanks for setting this up, you b****** 😀

Feel free to post here any questions, and someone will answer, even if I’m away doing other things…that might be work, or might be World of Warcraft… 😳

As Nick says, he’s the Master Level RPGA GM, so he’s probably more in the know than I 😀

DrNick
    • Flumph

You play a lot more than me Steve, so I think I’ll leave you in the hot seat for the time being. I’ll just hang around and heckle. It is what I do best after all 😀

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I thought you could do the Master Level DM test as many times (with a three month gap between each try) as you liked with a book and a load of people to help you 😛

It means nothing at all. You are as good as anyone I have met at the rules, especially without the books. And with regards to good DMing titles meaen very little when it comes to the sharp end!

I have an old book called Role-Playing Mastery that Gygax wrote back in the 80s and it was as much a load of crap then as it is now 😛

Perhaps I should start a proper GM Mastery Scheme with levels of achievement and stuff that actully mean you run games and things and make players happy 😉 Or perhaps we can just stick with the Rat Bastard DM Club 😉

Hal :hal:

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Interesting that you say that about Gygax, Hal. It seems more often than not, games and creative environments often outgrow their “creators”.

riddles
    • Succubus

I’ve got the book somewhere too. It’s wonderfully pretentious from what I remember.

Sometimes I wonder how our hobby survives…

DrNick
    • Flumph
    Hal wrote:
    I thought you could do the Master Level DM test as many times (with a three month gap between each try) as you liked with a book and a load of people to help you 😛

Actually, its become even funnier than that. Once you qualify for Herald, you can now take the Master Level Test every 7 days until you pass. LMAO

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Wow! Might have to have a go! I am a Herald DM already and that was easy!

Or, perhaps I won’t bother! 😀

Hal :hal:

Shug
    • Orc

Steve seems pretty sharp to me.

We’re all hitting 3.x for the first time, and I don’t have tech-backup like Hal does….

…. play has stalled a couple times due to the unfamiliar combat rules, and the inability of me to let an unknown slide…

“I know there’s a rule for that… one sec, guys….” *flip flip*

That’s my biggest obstacle as a DM with these new rules – my anal retentiveness. 😛 I flew with 2e, due to the relative length of exposure.

DrNick
    • Flumph

You’re at a distinct advantage if you missed 3.0 altogether. It gets a bit confusing with 3.0 and 3.5 rules mixed up together :S

riddles
    • Succubus

Shug, if you have access to a computer during play, the SRD at http://www.d20srd.org/ is invaluable.

Dr. Nick, I agree totally, esp. when cheating players try to pick and mix the best from both 3.0 and 3.5… 👿

Shug
    • Orc

No computrons for us… we’re old-schoolers from the mid-late 80’s… using a computer would be sacrilidge during play. I even feel a little twinkish for using minis, but it’s impossible to not, with the new combat rules.

We’re actually doing straight up 3.0 – when it first got released, I bought the core set for nostalgic reasons, with no real intention to play… and one of the players has the core 3.0 set too… so we’re giving it a shot first, to see if it’s worth it before investing in the .5 upgrade.

We play so infrequently (2-3hr session/month) that I think we’re gonna stick with 3.0 for now.

Salubrai
    • Succubus

People often complain about 3 and 3.5, but I QUITE rarely hear about players actually doing 2nd edition anymore.

Rich
    • Bullywug

Personally I like 3.5 for good old school dungeon bashing fun. I had my many issues with the more broken bits of 3.0 when playing and running under those rules and I was frankly pleased at the update to 3.5. I am sure there are plenty of people who thought it a bit of a cash in and I take the point but for me 3.5 is a far better ordered and presented product, all just personal opinion of course.

2nd is cool but I havent played it or run it for a long time, though there are a few games every now and then around BURPS.

Cheers,

Rich 8)

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear
    Shug wrote:
    I even feel a little twinkish for using minis, but it’s impossible to not, with the new combat rules.

Its not that bad. Just so long as the combats stay below ten or twelve participants. If it takes more than thet, just use paper.

Personally I don’t like minis that much. I prefer the “keep track in the head” bit when I DM. Easier to do ratbastardy that way.

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Just out of curiosity, Steve… was Arum (sp?) designed with some special player supplement that told you how to make a massively deadly, unstoppable character, or did you make it up straight out of your head with your massively deadly, unstoppable skills?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Save My Game!’ is closed to new topics and replies.