Forums Archive Roleplaying Chatter General RPG Stuff Anyone got a Dragonbone?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

Remember these?

dragonbone-advert.jpg

Paul

Shug
    • Orc

I remember flipping through decade-old back issues of White Dwarf magazines that had ads for these things….

… Grandpa.

😀

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I want one 🙁 I want one 🙁

Sadly they are all old and not obtainable 🙁

Hal :hal:

TomBedlam
    • Orc

I’ve always regreted not getting one.

I wonder how long the leds would last, given the average light bright or electronic football game lasted not very long.

Here’s an idea. What if they built these into the handles of the foam weapons for larp. You needn’t have to roll dice, do paper, scissor, rock nor do the non random let’s compare our numbers.

Anonymous
    • Owlbear

If they were LEDs they should last for a fair old time.

I thought you just wacked people over the head to resolve comabat in LARP – or they did in the one that I saw back in the days of university anyhow.

TomBedlam
    • Orc

There’s “boffer” LARP which you brutishly wack people with foamy Phallic symbols and the noncontact LARPs that use a variety of resolution systems.

Parmenio
    • Commoner

Believe it or not, I owned a Dragonbone. I remember as a kid about 25 years ago saving for months to purchase one, $25 to me then was like a few thousand dollars to me now. Even then I ended up having to negotiate all kinds of free chores and whatnot to get my mom to pony up the final $10 or so. The waiting for the mail for it to arrive was excruciating.

Regrettably, the Dragonbone was a cheap piece of junk. It worked as advertised, you toggled tiny switches on the thing to get the die combination that you wanted and then pressed a button to generate the roll. It was quick, easy, and the display was very nice (although in a bright room you’d have to tilt it to figure out which LEDs were lit). The problem was that it only worked for a few weeks.

I was very careful with it, as it was my most prized possession at the time. It wasn’t wear and tear, it was just crap. After replacing the battery and determining it was indeed broken, I contacted the company, who said “Oh well.”

Great idea, and I’d love to have a handheld die roller today, but the Dragonbone was just a gimmick to fleece kids out of their money.

Anonymous
    • Owlbear
    Parmenio wrote:
    Believe it or not, I owned a Dragonbone. I remember as a kid about 25 years ago saving for months to purchase one, $25 to me then was like a few thousand dollars to me now. Even then I ended up having to negotiate all kinds of free chores and whatnot to get my mom to pony up the final $10 or so. The waiting for the mail for it to arrive was excruciating.

Regrettably, the Dragonbone was a cheap piece of junk. It worked as advertised, you toggled tiny switches on the thing to get the die combination that you wanted and then pressed a button to generate the roll. It was quick, easy, and the display was very nice (although in a bright room you’d have to tilt it to figure out which LEDs were lit). The problem was that it only worked for a few weeks.

I was very careful with it, as it was my most prized possession at the time. It wasn’t wear and tear, it was just crap. After replacing the battery and determining it was indeed broken, I contacted the company, who said “Oh well.”

Great idea, and I’d love to have a handheld die roller today, but the Dragonbone was just a gimmick to fleece kids out of their money.

Anonymous
    • Owlbear

Mine still works just fine. I’ve been searching for more, but to no avail.

Parmenio wrote:

Ffaern
    • Orc

I can’t believe all of this heresy from rpgmp3 members. Electronic dice! Wash your mouths out with soap and say ten hail Zagygs. Where’s the satisfaction in facing a dragon and rolling your favourite attack d20 the whole length of the table, while standing on one foot, with fingers crossed and seeing it bounce off another player’s book resulting in a one. Where would we be without the ensuing wild recriminations and cries of, “touch my dice again and you’re dead man, I mean dead!” as the DM borrows even more d6’s from the other players for his damage roll.

RPG’s without dice? Unthinkable! 😀

gold78spc
    • Commoner

It’s kind of funny but I have one on EBAY right now and was trying to figure out why people seem to want it so bad. I’ve had it for over 12 years and can’t even remember buying it but it still works fine. I figured I’d probably only get a few bucks out of it but its beating the rest of my stuff I’m selling hands down

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear
    Salubrai
    • Succubus
    Rillietann
    • Bullywug

ack, now its gone up from 3 quid when i had it bookmarked 😀 and im not gonna start a bidding war with Paul.

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

Aahhhh! Well, if we win one, I’m sure it will be put to good use in the WLD. 😉

Nothing for ages then two at once.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • The forum ‘General RPG Stuff’ is closed to new topics and replies.