Forums Archive Roleplaying Chatter D20 Age of Worms (Potential Spoilers, Depending on Discussion)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

I currently started running Dungeon’s Age of Worms arc for my group and I was wondering if anyone else is running or has even looked at the start of the story arc.

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

Well, my group has almost finished the first adventure, we’re on pause until I can get the next issue with the next adventure. They started out by exploring a cairn, looking for riches (or things to smite in the case of the paladin). After exploring the tomb and finally getting near the last room, they’re confronted by a ghost who asks them to take his bones and bury them in his family plot and he’ll open the final door for them. They take his bones, only to find that the rest of the ghost’s family has been exhumed and taken off somewhere. Tracking down the bodies takes them eventually to an old abandoned observatory now inhabited by a necromancer. A long running battle ensues inside the building as the group’s Ninja/Druid climbs up to the necromancer’s bedroom window and attempts to assassinate him. He fails and the final battle takes place in the observatory’s top floor. A long moving battle with a bugbear zombie and 3 troglodyte zombies, plus a skeleton and the necromancer himself.

Now they have all the remains back and have buried them in addition to ransacking the observatory before burning it to the ground. They’ve found out that a cult called the Ebon Triad is holed up in an abandoned mine and that they seem to have some Spawn of Kyuss (Monster Manual 2) serving them.

***SPOILER WARNING (In White to reduce accidental spoilers)***

Okay, for you wiley DMs out there, there’s a fun bit about what the Ebon Triad is trying to do. They worship Hextor, Erythnul, and Vecna and believe that they can bring the three together into one great dark god. Bad bad bad bad. 🙂

***END SPOILER***

rizzard
    • Commoner

just started it up with a small gruop of two using gestalt pc’s going great so far i’m excited to see how the adventure path will unfold

rizzard
    • Commoner

i remember the spawn of kyuss back from the old feind folio, can’t wait to get to the second part

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

They’re in Monster Manual 2 though generally Dungeon publishes enough information in the the adventure for the non-Monster Manual 1 monsters.

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

Well, I have the next installment in the adventure path in hand and it’s looking like I’ll be running it this Friday night.

Unfortunately, I still have no recording equipment, so you’ll have to settle for my written account after the fact.

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

We ahd a visit from some friends who are moving away, so we didn’t get as much gaming done as I would have liked, but they did finish the first adventure and started into the next one.

After burying the remains they had recovered, they went back and began exploring the final room of the Whispering Cairn. After a battle where they finally caught on to what the air elemental warrior monsters were doing with a line based sonic attack, they managed to overcome them (but they took a lot of damage in the process). Entering the final room, none of them spoke Auran, so the language and instructions there were lost on them. They went back into town and paid a sage to translate what they could remember and got the name they needed. The got the small amount of treasure inside the sarcophagus and they’re paying some workers to fix up the old abandoned mine office that they’d been using as a base. They needed to investigate a potential haven for some cultists underneath a mine, so they bribed the poorly treated miners to stage a riot and slipped in in the confusion and are about to head down to a haven for the Ebon Triad. 🙂

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

Well, this past Friday, my group had quite the harrowing adventure.

Descending into the mine, they discover and kill two Tiefling guards who were there to watch the elevator. They decided to assault the unmarked temple. After fighting some grimlocks and then a grimlock and some krenshar, the ninja started descending into a pit. Two archers started firing at them from across the other side, putting the ninja at 0 hit points. Then they began firing at the Warlock and Favored Soul above. The Warforged attempted to make the jump across to the ledge with the archers and missed the jump, falling 45 feet to the bottom of the pit. There he was confronted with a Grimlock Barbarian that came after him. He decided to stay and fight. It ended up costing him his life. The ninja attempted to help him and it killed her as well. Meanwhile, above, the Battle Sorcerer made the jump across. The Warlock killed one of the archers with his eldritch blast. The Favored Soul delayed the other archer with a Command spell and it bought the Battle Sorcerer enough time to kill the archer. The session ended with the remains of the party heading back to town to get replacements.

Rest in Peace:

Warforged Paladin

Elven Ninja

Welcome:

Human Paladin/Rogue

Human Monk/Rogue (with a Vow of Poverty)

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

After that deadly session, the campaign kind of fell apart, but my group is planning to try again starting this Saturday. We’ll be chronicling our adventures in this blog: http://findingkyuss.blogspot.com/

We’ll only be meeting once a month right now, so it may be a while between updates, but hopefully all the players will be giving their perspectives and there will be plenty to read shortly after each session. 🙂

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

There’s some updates up on the Blog now, including a brief blurb from me about the first session. I’m sure my players will contribute some more in character views to things soon, especially since I plan to offer them experience to do so. A couple of them actually contributed a bit of back story for their characters.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘D20’ is closed to new topics and replies.